Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Using an old machine with Linux (?) as a Router

Using an old machine with Linux (?) as a Router

Dave Taylor

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4tsVe.10999$iM2.999450
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
> GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).

IPCop, M0n0, Smoothwall are all free.

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:7gyVe.11111$iM2.1003698
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Hi GJ,
>
> I guess you could conceivably set this up *behind* a dedicated router
> PC which would then overcome any security reduction issues?
>
> I do have access to more than one old machine, but space could become
> a marital issue of course!
>
> Alan.

That is common. Internet to IPcop to contribs.org (SME box)

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Doe

In article <4tsVe.10999$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
> GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>
> Has anyone actually done this?
>
> There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
> for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
> (say) that worked well.

Never understood why folk feel they need a 'seperate' box to run as a
router, when a 2nd network card will achieve the same. @#$!@#?

--
Duncan

Robert Cooze

Alan wrote:
> "Robert Cooze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>My fireWall router is a Pentium 100 intell thingie with 64Mb ram and
>>the disk is 2gig in size
>>
>>It does not have a monter or keybord I think yours would be over
>>kill
>>

> Any hints on how you set it up?
>
> A step by step guide written for the really technically challenged
> perhaps?
>
> Alan.

Fot Ip Cop its self
http://www.ipcop.org/

For some unoffical help pages (much better than you would think)
http://www.ipcops.com/

Some more serious stuff
http://www.supporting-role.net/softw...tware-list.php

Some press about Ip COp
http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1556

shannon

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <4tsVe.10999$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
>>GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>>
>>Has anyone actually done this?
>>
>>There is a stack of information on the net about it, but I am looking
>>for a recommendation from someone who has actually followed a guide
>>(say) that worked well.

> Never understood why folk feel they need a 'seperate' box to run as a
> router, when a 2nd network card will achieve the same. @#$!@#?

So you can turn any PC off, or reboot without disturbing other users.
You can put the gateway box out of the way, run it diskless, fanless etc.
There are better choices in small home routers available if you are not
on dialup.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:48:33 +1200 when I remembered Shane
<(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> saying something like this:

>Guides are for the weak

Spoken like a true geek!
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

EMB

shannon wrote:

> There are better choices in small home routers available if you are not
> on dialup.

Although if you've got kids and want to content filter it's pretty easy
to use something like Dansguardian running on an IPCop box (either with
the supplied blacklists or just set up a whitelist of sites that they
can access).

--
EMB

Bling-Bling

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:18:36 +1200, Alan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to set up my old machine (PII - 550MHz - 256 MB RAM - 6
> GB HDD) as a router, probably using Linux (but doesn't have to be).
>
> Has anyone actually done this?

Yes.

I used a distro of Linux called "Smoothwall" - it's designed to be a
dedicated firewall/router. It's easy to install. I've got it working on a
P120 and it's working very nicely indeed. It's very easy to administer.

The only one change I made was to change how often it rotates its log
files to weekly rather than monthly.

Bling Bling

--
Windows is a bonfire, Linux is the sun. Linux only looks smaller if you lack
perspective.