Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Query re system with no OS

Query re system with no OS

KiwiBrian

If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
the CPU type and clock speed?
I hope this makes sense.
TIA
Brian Tozer

Shane

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

> If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
> bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
> CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
> the CPU type and clock speed?
> I hope this makes sense.
> TIA
> Brian Tozer

POST (Power On Self Test) should show you CPU and RAM at boot, no floppy
needed
ie. boot the machine up, and watch the machine do a ram count, and show
the cpuinfo
if it goes too fast, hit Pause|Break at the appropriate time, if a splash
screen comes up instead, try TAB

HTH

Adam

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:

>If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
>bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
>CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
>the CPU type and clock speed?
>I hope this makes sense.
>TIA
>Brian Tozer

I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros around.
Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into a full GUI
- automatically detecting your network/internet connection - without
writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just peeking into the BIOS,
though.

I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux" reply,
but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this respect.

Adam.

~misfit~

Adam wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
>
>> If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction)
>> but the bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use
>> for a floppy or CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much
>> RAM the system has, and the CPU type and clock speed?
>> I hope this makes sense.
>> TIA
>> Brian Tozer

> I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros around.
> Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into a full GUI
> - automatically detecting your network/internet connection - without
> writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just peeking into the BIOS,
> though.
>
> I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux" reply,
> but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this respect.

Or you could just boot a Memtest 86+ floppy. It'll tell you the CPU family,
speed, L2 cache, installed memory and mobo chipset. Only takes 10 seconds to
boot too.
--
~misfit~

KiwiBrian

news:43262800$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Adam wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 05:59:31 +1200, KiwiBrian wrote:
>>
>>> If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction)
>>> but the bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use
>>> for a floppy or CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much
>>> RAM the system has, and the CPU type and clock speed?
>>> I hope this makes sense.
>>> TIA
>>> Brian Tozer

>> I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros around.
>> Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into a full GUI
>> - automatically detecting your network/internet connection - without
>> writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just peeking into the BIOS,
>> though.
>>
>> I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux" reply,
>> but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this respect.

> Or you could just boot a Memtest 86+ floppy. It'll tell you the CPU
> family, speed, L2 cache, installed memory and mobo chipset. Only takes 10
> seconds to boot too.

Perfect. Downloaded the ISO and burnt it as an Image in Nero, and it does
exactly what you said, and what I wanted.
And tests the RAM as a bonus... ))
Thanks Misfit.

~misfit~

KiwiBrian wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43262800$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Adam wrote:

>>> I've been messing around with some of the (free) Linux distros
>>> around. Some of them have a "live" CD that boots up completely into
>>> a full GUI - automatically detecting your network/internet
>>> connection - without writing to the HD at all. Not as quick as just
>>> peeking into the BIOS, though.
>>>
>>> I'm not usually the one to post the inevitable "do it in Linux"
>>> reply, but Ubuntu in particular was quite impressive in this
>>> respect.

>> Or you could just boot a Memtest 86+ floppy. It'll tell you the CPU
>> family, speed, L2 cache, installed memory and mobo chipset. Only
>> takes 10 seconds to boot too.

> Perfect. Downloaded the ISO and burnt it as an Image in Nero, and it
> does exactly what you said, and what I wanted.
> And tests the RAM as a bonus... ))
> Thanks Misfit.

No problem, pleased to help.
--
~misfit~

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <dg4flj$si1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If a PC does not have an OS installed, (for example at an auction) but the
>bios is set to look for a floppy or a CD, what would I use for a floppy or
>CD that would just allow me to ascertain how much RAM the system has, and
>the CPU type and clock speed?

Besides the obvious Linux Live CDs, there's the Ultimate Boot CD
<http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/>.

Or if you want something that'll fit on a floppy, how about FreeDOS
<http://www.freedos.org/>.

Dave Taylor

Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net:

> hit Pause|Break at the appropriate time, if a splash
> screen comes up instead, try TAB

And if that does not work, memtest86 floppy

--
Ciao, Dave