Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Labour hunting geek vote

Labour hunting geek vote

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>>We can't live off the backs of sheep and cows forever!

>>Why not - do you reckon people are going to stop shitting?
>>Remember, if you don't eat, you don't ****.
>>And if you don't ****, you die.

> Imagine for a second China decided to get into Agriculture. Neat. They
> flood the market with their cheap meat and dairy products. The prices
> of these commodities go down, and so does our economy.
>
> I think the benefits for going towards a weightless/knowledge economy
> are huge. There's no reason why we cannot be one, distance doesn't
> matter so much in a knowledge economy, as long as our broadband is up
> to it.

nice qualifier there Waylon...

"as long as our broadband is up to it."

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Richard

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> nice qualifier there Waylon...
>
> "as long as our broadband is up to it."

Well 90+ % of NZ cannot get broadband, and to operate a knowledge economy there
has to be a way to get the knowledge out of the place, current ADSL offerings
only allow for the (relitivly speaking) highspeed intake of knowledge, with the
contributions to the world amounting to a trickle of postcards.

Perhaps if people start sending emails to the (hopefully different) minister in
charge of communications about how the offerings are hindering there ability to
do XYZ and blah blah it will give them something to work with.

At the moment all I can really say is that the 128k up is screwing my ratios on
the torrent trackers, which I dont think is the sort of knowledge they are
wanting shared

kiwigal

"Richard"

> Well 90+ % of NZ cannot get broadband, and to operate a knowledge economy

there
> has to be a way to get the knowledge out of the place, current ADSL

offerings
> only allow for the (relitivly speaking) highspeed intake of knowledge,

with the
> contributions to the world amounting to a trickle of postcards.
>
> Perhaps if people start sending emails to the (hopefully different)

minister in
> charge of communications about how the offerings are hindering there

ability to
> do XYZ and blah blah it will give them something to work with.

You might be interested in this

The digital strategy: Creating our digital future, 2005
http://www.digitalstrategy.govt.nz/u...20Strategy.pdf

I despise Helen and most of her team but I think Cunliffe's ok. He seems to
have his head screwed on and is focused on doing a good job.