Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Component video output from a PC

Component video output from a PC

frog

Hi all, Im looking for a ( pref ) low cost solution to get a component
output from a PC, as I am just tinkering with making up a HTPC and
really would much rather get progressive / 100hz viewing rather than
S-Videos rather bland colours and image quality..
Any suggestions? The Video card I currently have is a Leadtek GF 5200
and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
a DVI connector.

Thanks

SteveM

"frog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com:

> Hi all, Im looking for a ( pref ) low cost solution to get a component
> output from a PC, as I am just tinkering with making up a HTPC and
> really would much rather get progressive / 100hz viewing rather than
> S-Videos rather bland colours and image quality..
> Any suggestions? The Video card I currently have is a Leadtek GF 5200
> and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
> a DVI connector.
>
> Thanks

My Geforce 6600GT is supposed to be able to output component with an
(optional) adaptor cable.
I would suggest upgrading to an entry level modern Geforce or Radeon
video card with the component adaptor.

Otherwise a scan converter box is what you need.
See: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...3010&sku=40226
(This would be the more expensive option though)

SteveM

shannon

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 03:44:17 -0700, frog wrote:

> Hi all, Im looking for a ( pref ) low cost solution to get a component
> output from a PC, as I am just tinkering with making up a HTPC and
> really would much rather get progressive / 100hz viewing rather than
> S-Videos rather bland colours and image quality..
> Any suggestions? The Video card I currently have is a Leadtek GF 5200
> and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
> a DVI connector.
>
> Thanks

This may be relevant
http://www.nvidia.com/object/analog_component_out.html

frog

Just looking at that now... looks good.. The reason I am not too keen
on buying a new vid card for the box is because I am looking at a
6600GT for my main computer, and that will soak up the vast majority of
the budget and then some ( yeah, I dont have much spare! )

Robert Cooze

frog wrote:
> Hi all, Im looking for a ( pref ) low cost solution to get a component
> output from a PC, as I am just tinkering with making up a HTPC and
> really would much rather get progressive / 100hz viewing rather than
> S-Videos rather bland colours and image quality..
> Any suggestions? The Video card I currently have is a Leadtek GF 5200
> and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
> a DVI connector.
>
> Thanks

Yes the Bland Colours, A few years back I stumbled on TV2000 a program
that alows full screen as brodcast. The best side affect is that the
colours and font readibility improved 100%. I am using a Nvadia TNTII
the last install of XP pro and Nvidia drivers ment I had to pay for the
TVtool program and not use the free one which has been discontinued.
the other cool thing if your current moneter can handle it 800x600 at
50Hz then you can watch with two screens.

http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

Daniel

frog wrote:
> Hi all, Im looking for a ( pref ) low cost solution to get a component
> output from a PC, as I am just tinkering with making up a HTPC and
> really would much rather get progressive / 100hz viewing rather than
> S-Videos rather bland colours and image quality..
> Any suggestions? The Video card I currently have is a Leadtek GF 5200
> and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
> a DVI connector.
>
> Thanks

I have a Matrox G450, and it easily has the best TV-out quality of any
graphics card I've ever owned or seen hands down.

The quality is basically the same as a standalone DVD player (just need
to remember to set the desktop to 32-bit colour - keeps forgetting that
setting for some reason?).

I understand that both the Matrox G400 and G550 also have excellent
TV-out quality.

However, you'll also need a Matrox TV-out cable which has a VGA male
connector on one end and S-Video out and composite/RCA out on the other
(downside is that the cables alone sell for about $50 new - best bet
might be to buy a card + cable on TradeMe, if you can find one of course).

Go to google groups and search on "matrox G450" and you'll get an idea.

XP

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 10:06:25 +1200, Daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>frog wrote:
>> Hi all, Im looking for a ( pref ) low cost solution to get a component
>> output from a PC, as I am just tinkering with making up a HTPC and
>> really would much rather get progressive / 100hz viewing rather than
>> S-Videos rather bland colours and image quality..
>> Any suggestions? The Video card I currently have is a Leadtek GF 5200
>> and also a GF4 MX460, both with a S-Video socket, and also the 5200 has
>> a DVI connector.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>I have a Matrox G450, and it easily has the best TV-out quality of any
>graphics card I've ever owned or seen hands down.
>
>The quality is basically the same as a standalone DVD player (just need
>to remember to set the desktop to 32-bit colour - keeps forgetting that
>setting for some reason?).
>
>I understand that both the Matrox G400 and G550 also have excellent
>TV-out quality.
>
>However, you'll also need a Matrox TV-out cable which has a VGA male
>connector on one end and S-Video out and composite/RCA out on the other
>(downside is that the cables alone sell for about $50 new - best bet
>might be to buy a card + cable on TradeMe, if you can find one of course).
>
>Go to google groups and search on "matrox G450" and you'll get an idea.

Read the Headline it does state Component video output, I do not thing Any
Matrox cards can do that.

Daniel

Robert Cooze wrote:

> Yes the Bland Colours, A few years back I stumbled on TV2000 a program
> that alows full screen as brodcast. The best side affect is that the
> colours and font readibility improved 100%. I am using a Nvadia TNTII
> the last install of XP pro and Nvidia drivers ment I had to pay for the
> TVtool program and not use the free one which has been discontinued.
> the other cool thing if your current moneter can handle it 800x600 at
> 50Hz then you can watch with two screens.
>
> http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

Interesting.

When you say it allows full screen as broadcast, what do you mean exactly?

I'd be interested in giving this program a whirl if it can produce very
good results (i.e it can play DVD's on TV as well as my DVD player).

Cheers.

frog

> Read the Headline it does state Component video output, I do not thing Any
> Matrox cards can do that.

Yes, While I appreciate most peoples suggestions, most dont actually
point me to something that will do _component_ ( Y/Pb/Pr ) as Im pretty
damn sure that is the only decent way to get progressive scan at HDTV
res on my TV ( in fact, I think that its the only way to get either
Progressive or HDTV )Its a Philips HD Matchline 32" just out of
interest, and yes, it definitly is capable of at least 720p and I
believe 1080p too.

The manual is of little help, only pointing me in the direction of
needing component to run HDTV via either RCA jacks or SCART.
The 15 pin D-Sub connector would be great if it actually worked - and
yes, it is connected to the image processing board in the TV, but I
cant seam to get anything to display when plugging the computer in
direct. Someone told me that its for service work, but why on earth use
a 15 pin D-Sub connector for that???

I see that there are component dongles avaliable for both ATI and
Nvidia cards, but at a cost ( a rather high one too ) and they all
appear to be an S Video -> component converter - now someone may know
better, but I cant see how that is going to give me any better image
quality than standard S video. Prehaps they use a different pin out or
have extra pins for the extra connectors? Anyone?

Thanks
Frog

SteveM

"frog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

SNIP

> I see that there are component dongles avaliable for both ATI and
> Nvidia cards, but at a cost ( a rather high one too ) and they all
> appear to be an S Video -> component converter - now someone may know
> better, but I cant see how that is going to give me any better image
> quality than standard S video. Prehaps they use a different pin out or
> have extra pins for the extra connectors? Anyone?
>
> Thanks
> Frog

Yes the Svideo plug on the Video card has a number of extra pins that carry
the component signal.

SteveM