Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New PC kit hardware?

New PC kit hardware?

Gordy

Hi,

Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
performance PC together over the weekend.

(Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
DVD drive, etc)

Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...

No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.

Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
parts to put a PC together?

Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
supplier opens again.

Gordy

Richard

Gordy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
> performance PC together over the weekend.
>
> (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
> DVD drive, etc)
>
> Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
>
> No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.
>
> Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
> parts to put a PC together?
>
> Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
> supplier opens again.

Yes, there is usually a box with that sort of stuff in it, along with blanking
plates for the PCI slots and a cble tie or 3 and a few other goodies.

Nicholas Sherlock

Gordy wrote:
> Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
>
> No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.

These came with my motherboard and my case.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Mercury

its very possible that the box was left out prior to packaging.

if you get desparate and want to get started this weekend (who wouldn't) ,
many weekend vendors will give you a handful of the appropriate screws and
stand offs for nought or very little. assemblers always have truck loads...

dse etc will charge highly (IE retail & enough to annoy you) for the equiv
bag of tricks..

where are you? if you are in chch I could do that for you...

"Gordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
> performance PC together over the weekend.
>
> (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
> DVD drive, etc)
>
> Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
>
> No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.
>
> Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
> parts to put a PC together?
>
> Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
> supplier opens again.
>
> Gordy

news.xtra.co.nz

"Gordy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
> performance PC together over the weekend.
>
> (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
> DVD drive, etc)
>
> Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
>
> No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power supply.
>
> Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
> parts to put a PC together?
>
> Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
> supplier opens again.
>
> Gordy

i bought a harddrive from some outfit in wellington - they did not supply
case screws with it though so i had to go scrounging from some pc shop for 4
screws - they laughed their faces off and just gave them to me for free as
they don't sell them.

MarkH

"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:2ldUe.10149$(E-Mail Removed):

> i bought a harddrive from some outfit in wellington - they did not
> supply case screws with it though so i had to go scrounging from some
> pc shop for 4 screws - they laughed their faces off and just gave them
> to me for free as they don't sell them.

You don't do much work on PCs then. Most of us that play around with
hardware have plenty of spare screws. Just scrap your first old PC and
voila!

If the drive is in a retail box then you get the mounting screws and cable,
if it is the OEM version then it is just the drive in an anti-static bag.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

MarkH

Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Gordy wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just bought a kit of bits from a well known NZ supplier to put a high
>> performance PC together over the weekend.
>>
>> (Mid tower case ($269), MB, CPU, Ram, power supply, video card, HDD,
>> DVD drive, etc)
>>
>> Opened up the case to mount the power supply and motherboard and...
>>
>> No MB mounting pillars and screws or screws to mount the power
>> supply.
>>
>> Do these items normally come with a case or do you have to buy extra
>> parts to put a PC together?
>>
>> Looks like I will have to wait until Monday to find out, when the
>> supplier opens again.

> Yes, there is usually a box with that sort of stuff in it, along with
> blanking plates for the PCI slots and a cble tie or 3 and a few other
> goodies.

That is also my experience. Always a box or a bag full of screws, mounting
posts, cable ties, sometimes side rails for attaching to 5.25 drive
devices, etc.

I have bought cheap cases and expensive cases and assembled PCs in cases
that others have bought - there are always screws and stuff with the case.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Gordy

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 20:47:07 +1200, "Mercury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>its very possible that the box was left out prior to packaging.
>
>if you get desparate and want to get started this weekend (who wouldn't) ,
>many weekend vendors will give you a handful of the appropriate screws and
>stand offs for nought or very little. assemblers always have truck loads...
>
>dse etc will charge highly (IE retail & enough to annoy you) for the equiv
>bag of tricks..
>
>where are you? if you are in chch I could do that for you...

Thanks for the offer. I am not in your area.
The MB tray actually has square holes where some special plastic
standoffs (my guess) have to be clipped in place.

I have plenty of time to read the manuals first before I do the
assembly...

Cheers
Gordy

Tim

> I have plenty of time to read the manuals first before I do the
> assembly...

RTFM! Man thats unheard of. What are you trying to do? Look like a NOOB?
Sheesh. No one reads manuals on principle - they "know" what to do and if
they break something they sheepishly go off to another vendor and secretely
buy a new mobo / CPU / whatever and then brag to their friends that the
system went together 100% and worked first time *or* the motherboard was
stuffed - DOA & had to do a heroic battle with the Vendor, CGA, Woger, and
the small claims court...

Ya can't do that!

BOL

Gordy

Yeah right! Reaches for another Tui.... waiting for Monday to
arrive..

Gordy