Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Sling Shot the good bad and Ugly?

Sling Shot the good bad and Ugly?

Robert Cooze

Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.

Looking at

Newsgroups

Http
Https

FTP

and all other protocals and ports.

MarkH

Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
> know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.
>
> Looking at
>
> Newsgroups
>
> Http
> Https
>
> FTP

For those above I have no problem hitting the max speed on my 256K UBS
with Orcon, after the 23rd I will be able to try with 2Mbit instead. In
fact I have had very little trouble with those protocols since UBS
started in October (plus POP and SMTP also work well).

> and all other protocals and ports.

This is where I understand some Orcon users have been unhappy, primarily
with P2P file sharing and with online gaming. So this is probably where
we need the input from Slingshot users to find out if there is any
advantage with using them instead.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Craig Shore

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:05 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
>> know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.
>>
>> Looking at
>>
>> Newsgroups
>>
>> Http
>> Https
>>
>> FTP

>For those above I have no problem hitting the max speed on my 256K UBS
>with Orcon, after the 23rd I will be able to try with 2Mbit instead. In
>fact I have had very little trouble with those protocols since UBS
>started in October (plus POP and SMTP also work well).
>
>> and all other protocals and ports.

>This is where I understand some Orcon users have been unhappy, primarily
>with P2P file sharing and with online gaming. So this is probably where
>we need the input from Slingshot users to find out if there is any
>advantage with using them instead.

FWIW Doing some testing on ihug 2mb/128k with bittorrent i'm getting 110 kB/S
with 2 torrents running. Not too bad really. HTTP is excellent, not sure about
FTP. Streaming radio runs sweet.
And to top it off they answer the bloody phone too! Quite amazing.

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 21:41:30 +1200, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:27:05 GMT, MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Robert Cooze <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Any body had much experience with Slingshot there UBS offerings? Also
>>> know about the Orcon debarcal so trying to keep it on topic.
>>>
>>> Looking at
>>>
>>> Newsgroups
>>>
>>> Http
>>> Https
>>>
>>> FTP

>>For those above I have no problem hitting the max speed on my 256K UBS
>>with Orcon, after the 23rd I will be able to try with 2Mbit instead. In
>>fact I have had very little trouble with those protocols since UBS
>>started in October (plus POP and SMTP also work well).
>>
>>> and all other protocals and ports.

>>This is where I understand some Orcon users have been unhappy, primarily
>>with P2P file sharing and with online gaming. So this is probably where
>>we need the input from Slingshot users to find out if there is any
>>advantage with using them instead.

>FWIW Doing some testing on ihug 2mb/128k with bittorrent i'm getting 110 kB/S
>with 2 torrents running. Not too bad really. HTTP is excellent, not sure about
>FTP. Streaming radio runs sweet.
>And to top it off they answer the bloody phone too! Quite amazing.

I'm with Slingshot 1Mbit plan and get horrible transfers with
bittorrent (or Shareaza). On the rare occassion I'll get 20kb/s but
usually its under 10kb/s.

I've set Shareaza to randomly select a port but that doesn't seem to
have made any difference.