Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > messagner pop up

messagner pop up

Starkey

Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
where it come from

http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg

screenshot of it

Dave Taylor

Starkey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
> where it come from
>
> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
>
> screenshot of it

I guess you have never seen Messenger broadcast spam before.
See this:
http://www.grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm
The Latest Spam Technology

The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet
with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can
cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is
possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP",
making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin. If our
experience with eMail Spam is any model, we can expect to see a lot more
of this in the future.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,55795,00.html

--
Ciao, Dave

Starkey

On 8 Sep 2005 22:53:53 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Starkey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
>> where it come from
>>
>> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
>>
>> screenshot of it
>>

>I guess you have never seen Messenger broadcast spam before.
>See this:
>http://www.grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm
>The Latest Spam Technology
>
>The Windows "Messenger Service" is being exploited to spray the Internet
>with unsolicited commercial eMail. The receipt of a single UDP packet can
>cause a "Messenger Service" dialog to pop-up on the user's screen. It is
>possible for the sender to "spoof" (falsify) the packet's "Source IP",
>making these packets impossible to trace back to their origin. If our
>experience with eMail Spam is any model, we can expect to see a lot more
>of this in the future.
>
>http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,55795,00.html

thx, dirty bastards

Dave Doe

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
> where it come from
>
> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
>
> screenshot of it

Yer running ??? (2000?) Messenger service is disabled in XP by default
(well certainly w' SP2).

But in W2K, yep it's enabled by default. Disable it soon (unless you
*like* the messages popping up of course

--
Duncan

Nicholas Sherlock

Dave Doe wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
>>where it come from
>>
>>http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
>>
>>screenshot of it

> Yer running ??? (2000?)

XP, obviously, look at the title bar and start bar in the screenshot. He
urgently needs to install SP2.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Starkey wrote:
> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
> where it come from
> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
> screenshot of it

turn on a firewall, and download SP2 for XP.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Starkey

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 09:11:50 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Starkey wrote:
>> Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
>> where it come from
>> http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
>> screenshot of it

>turn on a firewall, and download SP2 for XP.

sp1 is ok for me my problem is fixed

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Starkey wrote:
>>>Can anyone help me about 2hrs ago i have this weird pop up but i dunno
>>>where it come from
>>>http://tinypic.com/dh65cm.jpg
>>>screenshot of it

>>turn on a firewall, and download SP2 for XP.

> sp1 is ok for me my problem is fixed

sorry, I just assumed(yep, ass, u, me) that seeing as you had never come
across this sort of thing before and that you were asking about it
before checking the obvious, that you were not aware of how to shut off
that service, so I thought of the easiest method(least knowledge needed)
to plug the hole, SP2.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.