Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I need suggestions for a Linux newsreader program.

I need suggestions for a Linux newsreader program.

MarkH

I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).

At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.

Any suggestions?

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

shannon

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:52:37 +0000, MarkH wrote:

> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).
>
> At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.
>
> Any suggestions?

Thunderbird ?

ChrisOD

In article <pTxTe.281359$(E-Mail Removed)> , MarkH wrote:
> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).
>
> At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.
>
> Any suggestions?

I use slrn, and quite like it.

Shane

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:07:32 +1200, ChrisOD wrote:

> In article <pTxTe.281359$(E-Mail Removed)> , MarkH wrote:
>> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
>> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
>> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).
>>
>> At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I use slrn, and quite like it.

masochist

Peter

MarkH wrote:
> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).

If you describe what you dislike about those apps, it will help us to guess
what you might like.

HTH

Peter

Allistar

MarkH wrote:

> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).
>
> At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.
>
> Any suggestions?

I use KNode, what don't you like about it?

Allistar.

steve

MarkH wrote:

> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).
>
> At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.
>
> Any suggestions?

I like Knode.

MarkH

Peter wrote:
> MarkH wrote:
>
>>I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
>>SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
>>tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).

> If you describe what you dislike about those apps, it will help us to guess
> what you might like.

Hmmm, that is not so easy to answer.

Maybe I could explain a little easier what I like about XNews.

In XNews I use a single window which I can flick between the list of
groups/the headers in a group/a message - all very quickly and easily
with the enter key and the esc key.

It is also very quick and easy to tag messages or threads as read in
XNews and at the press of a key all the read messages disappear.

It is also very easy to tag binaries messages, then ask XNews to
download them all. While they are downloading you can remove posts from
the queue or add more to the queue.

I also like the way that I can assign any function at all to a key.

I know that some of the speed in using XNews comes from my familiarity
with it, but honestly there are many programs that lack a keystroke
option instead of a mouse click for many functions and that makes it
impossible to navigate the groups as fast.

I am now typing this in Thunderbird, which seems a bit better than Knode
or Pan, but not as good as XNews.

I also hated Agent/Free Agent and Gravity. Before using XNews I used to
use News Express, which was similar but not as good as XNews.

Peter

MarkH wrote:
> In XNews I use a single window which I can flick between the list of
> groups/the headers in a group/a message - all very quickly and easily
> with the enter key and the esc key.
>
> It is also very quick and easy to tag messages or threads as read in
> XNews and at the press of a key all the read messages disappear.
>
> It is also very easy to tag binaries messages, then ask XNews to
> download them all. While they are downloading you can remove posts from
> the queue or add more to the queue.
>
> I also like the way that I can assign any function at all to a key.

I find knode works fine for me. Other news readers are listed here ...
http://linuxshop.ru/linuxbegin/win-l...en/table.shtml
1) Knode.
2) Pan.
3) NewsReader.
4) Netscape / Mozilla.
5) Opera [Prop]
6) Sylpheed / Sylpheed-claws.

For a highly configurable news reader, ie lots of user defined functions
assigned to keys, with keyboard based app, you might like to look at emacs.
This app has a very long tradition, and is highly configurable by the user
- but, it is quite different and will be quite a steep learning curve.
Most distros include emacs and / or xemacs.

HTH

Peter

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>, Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:07:32 +1200, ChrisOD wrote:
>
>> In article <pTxTe.281359$(E-Mail Removed)> , MarkH wrote:
>>> I am currently looking for a good newsreader program for Linux to run on
>>> SUSE 9.3 64bit. I am used to and like XNews in Windows and so far have
>>> tried Knode and Pan on Linux (and hate both).
>>>
>>> At the moment I am using XNews on WinXP in a VMware virtual machine.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>

>> I use slrn, and quite like it.

> masochist

What's wrong with it?
It is simple, easy to use
Is console based so can be used anywhere
Uses whatever editor I want (vi)