Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 70% of the market......

70% of the market......

thingy

The open source Apache web server is now poised to cross 50 million
sites, probably within the next month.

netcraft.com

regards

Thing

Mercury

how many servers is that? %?

"thingy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The open source Apache web server is now poised to cross 50 million sites,
> probably within the next month.
>
> netcraft.com
>
> regards
>
> Thing

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:19:37 +1200 when I remembered "Mercury"

>how many servers is that? %?

See the topic of the thread

70%, that's super impressive. I still see quite a few sites that end
in .asp, perhaps I guess I'm just hanging around those sites more.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Tim

Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T'was the Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:19:37 +1200 when I remembered "Mercury"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>how many servers is that? %?

> See the topic of the thread
>
> 70%, that's super impressive. I still see quite a few sites that end
> in .asp, perhaps I guess I'm just hanging around those sites more.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

PAM.

"Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

It means "sites"

PAM.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

PAM. wrote:
>>Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

> It means "sites"

I have one install of Apache, running 14 "sites"... I have one install
of IIS, and it is currently running 2 "sites".

It's not that either of them can't run more(or less) sites, it's just
how I've done it for the moment.

see why the %age of sites means nothing?

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Shane

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:38:25 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> PAM. wrote:
>>>Duh, he says "sites" which means nothing.

>> It means "sites"

> I have one install of Apache, running 14 "sites"... I have one install of
> IIS, and it is currently running 2 "sites".
>
> It's not that either of them can't run more(or less) sites, it's just how
> I've done it for the moment.
>

> see why the %age of sites means nothing?

Has anyone in this thread actually looked at the data presented by
netcraft to 'get the facts'?
They do break down sites and servers, they do break down active and total
hostnames, they do have pretty little graphs to show what they are talking
about, and.. they do show % of change from their last survey
(and its not good news for apache)
And, they show that the top 10 hosters (reliability) are
running Microsoft (2), Linux (5), FreeBSD (2), and Solaris (1)
with three hosters sharing the top spot ( 1 Microsoft, 2 Linux)

http://news.netcraft.org

Shane

On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:55:37 +1200, Shane wrote:

and now that I have taken my chill pill, I can tell you that the 70%
figure appears to be for servers
Market Share for Top Servers Across All Domains August 1995 - September
2005
What is interesting about that graph is the big jump Microsoft had between
June 2001 and Sept 2003 then they seem to have stabilised at ~21% of the
server market whilst apache has steadily climbed.

Chris Hope

Shane wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:55:37 +1200, Shane wrote:
>
> and now that I have taken my chill pill, I can tell you that the 70%
> figure appears to be for servers
> Market Share for Top Servers Across All Domains August 1995 -
> September 2005
> What is interesting about that graph is the big jump Microsoft had
> between June 2001 and Sept 2003 then they seem to have stabilised at
> ~21% of the server market whilst apache has steadily climbed.

"Across All Domains" is the key you are looking for. They measure what
is being run on a *domain*. So a domain that is parked on a server with
thousands of other domains will count as one for that particular server
type, as will all the other thousands of domains parked on that server
(eg if you have 1000 parked domains they will count as 1000 of that
server type).

There have been big jumps in some months in the past in the netcraft
survey when a domain parking company / registrar has changed from
Apache to IIS or vice versa.

Mercury

So,your teling me that the power that goes into the back of a DEC PDP11/70
is more dangerous than the power that goes into a vacuum cleaner?

The vacuum cleaner runs on 230 volts, the 11/70 has a big warning sign
saying it runs on 250,000 milli volts.

Don't get confused by extraneous units.

news:a0nTe.9342$(E-Mail Removed)...