Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > This would be cool, for online banking.

This would be cool, for online banking.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Kent Smith wrote:
> It's probably more to do with privacy issues. I doubt many people want
> their itemised purchases held by a bank or any central repository. If it
> were it could be open to abuse. We notice you buy a lot of Coke, try this
> Pepsi product. You eat a lot, here's a Jennny Craig voucher, etc.
>
> There is a lot of this type of discussion going on relating to RFID.
> Absolutely, it makes complete logical sense and has so many benefits but
> it's another subtle step to big brother.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=RFID+%22big+brother%22

semi related subject...
next people will complain about google ads being targeted at similar
subjects to the page that you are looking at...

personally I love google ads, atleast the advertising is relevant...

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>If , you could use online banking to drill down and view the receipt
>>details on your transactions - or , even download xml receipts from your
>>online banking service. For eft-pos, and other bills such as telecom.

> You can download CSVs of your transactions from the Westpac website.

yes you can, but it only gives the transaction amount, not the details
of what was purchased... which I think is what was implied...

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:31:46 +1200 when I remembered "Dave -
Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>> You can download CSVs of your transactions from the Westpac website.

>yes you can, but it only gives the transaction amount, not the details
>of what was purchased... which I think is what was implied...

That would be pretty hard to do, since the only information the bank
records in a transaction is the company that the transaction was made
with right?

I remember spending a couple of days with Quicken allocating
categories to transactions just so I could see where I spent all my
money. Ugh, horrible job.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

lapimate

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kB6Te.9119$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is already available and has been for some time now (called >
> BankLink / BankConnet - different providers). Most of the banks can
> do it (top 10 at least I think).
> Alan.

And BankLink provides for a system where you can write the account ledger
code on your cheque before you send it to the supplier, so the analysis is
already done! However you cannot write more than 1 ledger code on an
individual cheque. In BankLink itself it is possible to set up automatic
assignment to ledger codes (dissection) on the basis of e.g. supplier,
amount etc. BankLink saves me a lot of work in preparing GST Returns and
annual accounts.

But sadly it is not (yet?) possible to enter an account ledger code at POS
for EFTPOS purchases nor for credit card purchases.

Richard

Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> Waylon Kenning wrote:
>
>>> If , you could use online banking to drill down and view the receipt
>>> details on your transactions - or , even download xml receipts from
>>> your online banking service. For eft-pos, and other bills such as
>>> telecom.

>> You can download CSVs of your transactions from the Westpac website.

> yes you can, but it only gives the transaction amount, not the details
> of what was purchased... which I think is what was implied...

Hopefully once we get the cards with the chip in them then the retailers will
send the reciept to the card and you can download it to your PC later.

I wouldnt want the banks to have access to the reciepts, its bad enough they can
see where you are buying or getting the cash out. It prob looks very suspect
that I regually get $60 to $80 out at k road on a saturday night

Alan Macdougall

This (link below) is getting partway there - it takes the transaction
data from the bank as XML and places it directly into the accounting
package's ledger. You log in from within the accounting package to do
this.

http://www.myob.co.nz/Downloads+and+...k/default.aspx

http://www.nbnz.co.nz/business/banki...accounting.htm
http://www.nbnz.co.nz/rural/waystoba...nagerrural.htm

(Disclosure: I work for NBNZ)

Lawrence D¹Oliveiro

In article <M58Te.9141$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, the ETA 2002 states:
>
>"18.Legal requirement that information be in writing-
>
>A legal requirement that information be in writing is met by
>information that is in electronic form if the information is readily
>accessible so as to be usable for subsequent reference.
>
>19.Legal requirement to record information in writing-
>
>A legal requirement that information be recorded in writing is met by
>recording the information in electronic form if the information is
>readily accessible so as to be usable for subsequent reference."

Odd that it doesn't say that the electronic form has to have _some_
resistance against tampering...

Shane

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:08:12 +1200, Lawrence DĀ¹Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <M58Te.9141$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Well, the ETA 2002 states:
>>
>>"18.Legal requirement that information be in writing-
>>
>>A legal requirement that information be in writing is met by information
>>that is in electronic form if the information is readily accessible so as
>>to be usable for subsequent reference.
>>
>>19.Legal requirement to record information in writing-
>>
>>A legal requirement that information be recorded in writing is met by
>>recording the information in electronic form if the information is
>>readily accessible so as to be usable for subsequent reference."

> Odd that it doesn't say that the electronic form has to have _some_
> resistance against tampering...

How the heck would they enforce that?

Alan

"Lawrence D¹Oliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote
in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Odd that it doesn't say that the electronic form has to have _some_
> resistance against tampering...

There is generally no specific reference to tampering in any other
legislation with respect to paper based records except insofar as the
general provisions of the fraud legislation applies equally no matter
what the carrying media for an given information is.

If the tampering is fraud, then it would be ilegal irrespective of
whether it was done by amending a paper based or electronic document I
guess.

Alan.

Lawrence Dā€™Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>,
Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:08:12 +1200, Lawrence DĀ©Ė†Oliveiro wrote:
>
>> In article <M58Te.9141$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Well, the ETA 2002 states:
>>>
>>>"18.Legal requirement that information be in writing-
>>>
>>>A legal requirement that information be in writing is met by information
>>>that is in electronic form if the information is readily accessible so as
>>>to be usable for subsequent reference.
>>>
>>>19.Legal requirement to record information in writing-
>>>
>>>A legal requirement that information be recorded in writing is met by
>>>recording the information in electronic form if the information is
>>>readily accessible so as to be usable for subsequent reference."

>> Odd that it doesn't say that the electronic form has to have _some_
>> resistance against tampering...

>How the heck would they enforce that?

Digital signatures ... write-once media ...