Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > MMC recovery utility

MMC recovery utility

-=rjh=-

I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat
it or even usually read it.

What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.

TIA

XP

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:55:46 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
>cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat
>it or even usually read it.
>
>What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
>it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.
>
>TIA

They Must be Formated Just FAT, if you don't it stuffs them up

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
> cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat it
> or even usually read it.
>
> What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
> it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.

You can format them on a Digital Camera if you don't have a Card Reader. If
you do have a card reader, you can use the FORMAT command on a Command
prompt for format and specify the format (FAT16/FAT32) and sector size.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Pocket PC and Smartphone software: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

-=rjh=-

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:
> "-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
>>cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat it
>>or even usually read it.
>>
>>What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
>>it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.
>>

> You can format them on a Digital Camera if you don't have a Card Reader. If
> you do have a card reader, you can use the FORMAT command on a Command
> prompt for format and specify the format (FAT16/FAT32) and sector size.

OK, this was strange, but it is sorted.

Camera wouldn't format the card; Windows would only format it to 29MB
(using the format command, perhaps I should have tried fdisk?).

Anyway, after formatting at 29MB with FORMAT, the camera was able to
reformat the card to its full 64MB, and now it seems fine.

Thanks all.

XP

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:24:14 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
>> cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat it
>> or even usually read it.
>>
>> What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
>> it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.
>>

>You can format them on a Digital Camera if you don't have a Card Reader. If
>you do have a card reader, you can use the FORMAT command on a Command
>prompt for format and specify the format (FAT16/FAT32) and sector size.

YOU MUST NOT FORMAT THEM FAT32...

Use the XP format command and just select FAT..

Take it from some one that knows.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:41:24 +1200 when I remembered XP

>Take it from some one that knows.

Who?
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Dave - Dave.net.nz

XP wrote:
>>You can format them on a Digital Camera if you don't have a Card Reader. If
>>you do have a card reader, you can use the FORMAT command on a Command
>>prompt for format and specify the format (FAT16/FAT32) and sector size.

> YOU MUST NOT FORMAT THEM FAT32...
> Use the XP format command and just select FAT..
> Take it from some one that knows.

Why is that Roger?

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

PC

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
> cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat it
> or even usually read it.
>
> What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
> it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.
>
> TIA

If it won't format up to 64MB send it back to the borrower along with the
bill for a new 64MB stick.

Cheers
Paul.

Rob J

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 10:07:14 +1200, XP
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:55:46 +1200, -=rjh=- <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
>>cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat
>>it or even usually read it.
>>
>>What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
>>it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.
>>
>>TIA

>They Must be Formated Just FAT, if you don't it stuffs them up

Hell, it's so nice taking a break from this group for a week, and no
Woger-crap to put up with.

wogers nemesis

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 18:41:24 +1200, XP wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:24:14 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've got a 64MB MMC card here, that I loaned to somebody for use in a
>>> cheap MP3 player; I got it back formatted as 32MB and I can't reformat it
>>> or even usually read it.
>>>
>>> What utilities exist for recovering this card? I don't want any data off
>>> it, I just want to be able to reformat it and use it.
>>>

>>You can format them on a Digital Camera if you don't have a Card Reader. If
>>you do have a card reader, you can use the FORMAT command on a Command
>>prompt for format and specify the format (FAT16/FAT32) and sector size.

> YOU MUST NOT FORMAT THEM FAT32...
>
> Use the XP format command and just select FAT..
>
> Take it from some one that knows.

Why? I had some mac users format them HFS+ even.