Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse.

Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On 4 Sep 2005 20:39:14 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in
>news:1125802135.6ac5896c8983d36c53f7511db4c26de3@ teranews:
>
>> All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
>> it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
>> without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
>> full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
>> know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
>> toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
>> The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.

>Did you try ISOBuster?
>http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
>IsoBuster is a highly specialized yet easy to use CD and DVD data
>recovery tool. It supports all CD and DVD formats and all common CD and
>DVD file-systems (= set of files and folders). Start up IsoBuster,
>Insert a CD or DVD, select the drive (if not selected already) and let
>IsoBuster mount the media. IsoBuster immediately shows you all the
>tracks and sessions located on the media, combined with all file-systems
>that are present. This way you get easy access, just like explorer, to
>all the files and folders per file-system. Instead of being limited to
>one file-system that the OS picks for you, you have access to "the
>complete picture". Access data from older sessions, access data that
>your OS (e.g. Windows) does not see or hides from you etc.

I did try it without success - does it have limited 'free' functions?

Also tried CDRoller - no success with that. I was actually lucky not
to be sucked in with that crap. It looked like it was working in 'free
mode' where you couldn't save anything - it did not work for me in
full function mode.

I hate some of this 'crippled' shareware that pretends to work but
doesn't allow you to save anything and when you get a regged version
it doesn't work the way it claims to be doing.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:12:06 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Try new firmware and if you see any improvement flash back to the old
>> firmware.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John.

>That should read "if you *don't* see any improvement".
>
>Point that you might not be aware of is B7S9 came out on drives made
>for mainland China, and specially for the media that is used in China
>(lower grade media).

Yes, I discovered that after posting my last message. I wonder how
'low grade' they mean - I use Cyqve dvds that aren't particularly high
grade from what I gather. If I flash will my benq still like the Cyqve
discs I'm using.

Talking about Cyqve - they used to be CMC? brand but now they Sony. I
preferred the older ones - more compatible with my old Samsung.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

Maybe this Lite-on SOHW 1673S drive is not as 'magical' as I first
thought. It's ability to read 'bad discs' is not much different to any
other drive that I have - it's like a lottery. All three of my dvdrom
players/writers have problems reading discs occasionally and they've
all read discs that the other two have refused to read or read poorly.

I don't regret my Lite-on purchase because it read and extracted files
from a couple of dvds that I desperately wanted. However I would not
recommend them as an ONLY dvdwriter/player.

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sun, 04 Sep 2005 10:11:14 GMT when I remembered
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) saying something like this:

>Maybe this Lite-on SOHW 1673S drive is not as 'magical' as I first
>thought. It's ability to read 'bad discs' is not much different to any
>other drive that I have - it's like a lottery. All three of my dvdrom
>players/writers have problems reading discs occasionally and they've
>all read discs that the other two have refused to read or read poorly.

I recently got a Samsung TSH552U DVD burner. Does bitsetting with the
latest firmware and Nero 6 Reloaded.

Seems alright. To be honest, I don't see much differences between DVD
drives these days. They're all pretty good.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Craig Shore <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:13:43 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:58 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
>>>run it though their CD cleaning machine.

>>I know someone with such a machine but I was getting too impatient
>>waiting for him to check my dvds.
>>
>>As for my local video/dvd shop, the state of their back catalogue dvds
>>suggests that they don't have such a thing as a dvd cleaner.

>The local one here will send them away to get resurfaced. I think it costs
>about $10 per disc. I think they just cut some of the surface off.
>
>It wouldn't be worth a video shop doing it on their older ones, and I guess
>it's only going to be a small number of times it can be done.

I can't even see it being worth doing for the newer ones. For that
price, why not get fresh copies made?