Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse.

Lite-on sohw-1673s - for better or worse.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

Determined to find something to read a few badly marked dvds that I
couldn't play or extract files from I decided to buy a Lite-on DVD
recorder (only needed a reader but it was only $80 compared to $55).
They're selling them or trying to sell them for $102+ on Trademe.

All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.

Now for the bad - it seem to take some time to recognise a disc. Any
file manager will suggest there is no disc in the drive for the first
few attempts. Is that normal.

Another strange thing - I have a dvd that my Benq writer won't
recognise and the Lite-on won't recognise it and yet my scummy Auriga
player with a cheap made in Taiwan KTC brand player will play it.
Looks like my days of ****ing around with hooking up my auriga KTC
loader to my computer to read discs that the Benq won't play are not
entirely over.

I should add that as pleased as I am that the Lite-on read the discs
that were giving me problems - it's a cheap flimisy made
player/writer. I wouldn't dare to even think about using the tray as a
coffee mug holder.

John

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

> My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.
>
> Determined to find something to read a few badly marked dvds that I
> couldn't play or extract files from I decided to buy a Lite-on DVD
> recorder (only needed a reader but it was only $80 compared to $55).
> They're selling them or trying to sell them for $102+ on Trademe.
>
> All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
> it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
> without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
> full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
> know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
> toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
> The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.
>
> Now for the bad - it seem to take some time to recognise a disc. Any
> file manager will suggest there is no disc in the drive for the first
> few attempts. Is that normal.
>
> Another strange thing - I have a dvd that my Benq writer won't
> recognise and the Lite-on won't recognise it and yet my scummy Auriga
> player with a cheap made in Taiwan KTC brand player will play it.
> Looks like my days of ****ing around with hooking up my auriga KTC
> loader to my computer to read discs that the Benq won't play are not
> entirely over.
>
> I should add that as pleased as I am that the Lite-on read the discs
> that were giving me problems - it's a cheap flimisy made
> player/writer. I wouldn't dare to even think about using the tray as a
> coffee mug holder.

Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
run it though their CD cleaning machine.

Regards,
John.

John

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

>My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
download;

http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp

You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
with the BenQ 1620.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92

Regards,
John.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:58 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
>run it though their CD cleaning machine.

I know someone with such a machine but I was getting too impatient
waiting for him to check my dvds.

As for my local video/dvd shop, the state of their back catalogue dvds
suggests that they don't have such a thing as a dvd cleaner.

Canon Paora Tikitiki

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:37:03 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
>
>>My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

>You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
>download;
>
>http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp
>
>You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
>with the BenQ 1620.
>
>http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
>
>Regards,
>John.

I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
something newer? Any noticeable difference?

SteveM

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in
news:1125807714.a610859556b1bddf7253be0210f30435@t eranews:

SNIP

>>John.

> I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
> suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
> I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
> firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
> something newer? Any noticeable difference?

I flashed mine to a hacked B7T9 for the region free and faster DVD rip
speed.
No other noticeable difference.
Mine seems to read everything I throw at it..........

SteveM

John

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:21:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:37:03 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 02:48:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:
>>
>>>My Benq 1620 writer is not a perfect DVD reader unfortunately.

>>You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
>>download;
>>
>>http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp
>>
>>You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
>>with the BenQ 1620.
>>
>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
>>
>>Regards,
>>John.

> I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
> suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
> I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
> firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
> something newer? Any noticeable difference?

http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

Try new firmware and if you see any improvement flash back to the old
firmware.

Regards,
John.

John

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 17:50:01 +1200, John wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:21:55 GMT, Canon Paora Tikitiki wrote:

>>>You might need to flash to latest firmware (B7V9)see site below for
>>>download;
>>>
>>>http://www.benq.com.au/service/main.asp
>>>
>>>You can also post at this forum in regards any problems you might have
>>>with the BenQ 1620.
>>>
>>>http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John.

>> I put off using the Benq updated firmware - I couldn't see anything to
>> suggest the new firmware would help with any problems I was having AND
>> I see in the list of firmware for the 1620 there is no mention of the
>> firmware that my drive has already B7S9. anybody flashed from B7S9 to
>> something newer? Any noticeable difference?

> http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm
>
> Try new firmware and if you see any improvement flash back to the old
> firmware.
>
> Regards,
> John.

That should read "if you *don't* see any improvement".

Point that you might not be aware of is B7S9 came out on drives made
for mainland China, and specially for the media that is used in China
(lower grade media).

Regards,
John.

Craig Shore

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 04:13:43 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki)
wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 15:16:58 +1200, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Any damaged disks I take down to the local Video shop and get them to
>>run it though their CD cleaning machine.

>I know someone with such a machine but I was getting too impatient
>waiting for him to check my dvds.
>
>As for my local video/dvd shop, the state of their back catalogue dvds
>suggests that they don't have such a thing as a dvd cleaner.

The local one here will send them away to get resurfaced. I think it costs
about $10 per disc. I think they just cut some of the surface off.

It wouldn't be worth a video shop doing it on their older ones, and I guess it's
only going to be a small number of times it can be done.

Dave Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) (Canon Paora Tikitiki) wrote in
news:1125802135.6ac5896c8983d36c53f7511db4c26de3@t eranews:

> All the reviews promised good dvd read error correction and woohoo -
> it read the disks without any hesitation and extracted the files to hd
> without a single read error. I should add that one of the DVDs got the
> full 'home clean remedy' treatment and more - you really don't want to
> know what I tried - I don't deserve to be able to read the DVD. I used
> toothpaste, silvo and brasso - turtle wax, pledge and ajax - hehe.
> The disc looks like it's been to Iraq and back.

Did you try ISOBuster?
http://www.smart-projects.net/isobuster/
IsoBuster is a highly specialized yet easy to use CD and DVD data
recovery tool. It supports all CD and DVD formats and all common CD and
DVD file-systems (= set of files and folders). Start up IsoBuster,
Insert a CD or DVD, select the drive (if not selected already) and let
IsoBuster mount the media. IsoBuster immediately shows you all the
tracks and sessions located on the media, combined with all file-systems
that are present. This way you get easy access, just like explorer, to
all the files and folders per file-system. Instead of being limited to
one file-system that the OS picks for you, you have access to "the
complete picture". Access data from older sessions, access data that
your OS (e.g. Windows) does not see or hides from you etc.

--
Ciao, Dave