Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Spinrite

Spinrite

Phstpok

Anoe in Welly got a reasonably utd copy of spinrite I could borrow to
check a seemingly deceased 80gb seagate? Id hate to lose this drive
completely, but the purchase price of spinrite US$89 converts to about
the price of a new drive.

Rob

Might have some software or hardware here for a little trade off deal.

Dave Taylor

Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4316d361$(E-Mail Removed):

> Anoe in Welly got a reasonably utd copy of spinrite I could borrow to
> check a seemingly deceased 80gb seagate? Id hate to lose this drive
> completely, but the purchase price of spinrite US$89 converts to about
> the price of a new drive.
>
> Rob
>
> Might have some software or hardware here for a little trade off deal.

Spinrite is great, but have you got data on there you need?
If not, try the drive manufacturers diag tool?
Most of the time, a zero fill will remap bad sectors, using the slack
sectors specifically reserved for that purpose.
MFM/RLL was a long time ago now and controllers are "supposed" to take care
of this stuff (Remeber Spinrite 3? I do and WOW, it worked wonders)
SMART says what?
Spinrite 5 needs a FAT or FAT32 partition to do its work.
Spinrite 6 can do NTFS and I think can directly access the drive (finally)

--
Ciao, Dave

Phstpok

Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 2/09/2005 9:11 p.m.and tried
to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:4316d361$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Anoe in Welly got a reasonably utd copy of spinrite I could borrow to
>>check a seemingly deceased 80gb seagate? Id hate to lose this drive
>>completely, but the purchase price of spinrite US$89 converts to about
>>the price of a new drive.
>>
>>Rob
>>
>>Might have some software or hardware here for a little trade off deal.
>>

> Spinrite is great, but have you got data on there you need?
> If not, try the drive manufacturers diag tool?
> Most of the time, a zero fill will remap bad sectors, using the slack
> sectors specifically reserved for that purpose.
> MFM/RLL was a long time ago now and controllers are "supposed" to take care
> of this stuff (Remeber Spinrite 3? I do and WOW, it worked wonders)
> SMART says what?
> Spinrite 5 needs a FAT or FAT32 partition to do its work.
> Spinrite 6 can do NTFS and I think can directly access the drive (finally)

No data on the drive that I need, just want to try and get the drive
going. I suspect the drive is completely dead, but hate to throw it
away. I'll try seagate's software, but basically bios can't see it so
probably byebye.

Cheers

Rob

Dave Taylor

Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:431c162a$(E-Mail Removed):

> I'll try seagate's software, but basically bios can't see it so
> probably byebye.

Try diff cable and diff machine, next is same drive controller PCB on the
drive but from a known good one with identical bios. There is help on
google.

--
Ciao, Dave

Phstpok

Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 5/09/2005 10:36 p.m.and tried
to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:431c162a$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I'll try seagate's software, but basically bios can't see it so
>>probably byebye.
>>

> Try diff cable and diff machine, next is same drive controller PCB on the
> drive but from a known good one with identical bios. There is help on
> google.

Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on trying.

The only other seagate drive i have is older 20gb, so doubt controller
would work. I have a few linux based recovery cds, so I;ll try them as
well. Y never know.

Just hate losing gear. Got a cdrw here as well that bios sees, xp sees,
but insert disc and nothing there. Cleaned the laser (very gently), but
no luck there either. Starting to get a pile of doorstops or fancy bookends.

Anyone got use for a 1gb micropolis scsi drive? Came out of a powermac
7200/90 which someone had fitted with an amd450/mb combo and the
noisiest psu I've ever heard. Someone's idea of using resources on hand
I suppose. Was running 98se.

Dave Taylor

Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:431c3c89$(E-Mail Removed):

> Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
> never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on trying.

Torx AKA Posidrive screws. Often used in electronics, but a pain because
you really need the correct head to overcome the initial torque to release
them. Take the drive to a Jaycars, undo them there?

--
Ciao, Dave

Dave Taylor

Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns96C95444D9FC1daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6:

> Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:431c3c89$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
>> never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on
>> trying.
>>

> Torx AKA Posidrive screws. Often used in electronics, but a pain
> because you really need the correct head to overcome the initial
> torque to release them. Take the drive to a Jaycars, undo them there?

oh yeah, the magnets inside dead hard drives are great, very strong.

--
Ciao, Dave

Shane

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:18:26 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

> oh yeah, the magnets inside dead hard drives are great, very strong.

I use the magnets for fridge magnets ( try and get THEM off sucker
and the shiny disks are fun in the office, for reflecting sunlight on to
dumb****s monitor (Of course I dont do that, it was the other rotters..
honest)

Bret

On 6 Sep 2005 08:17:06 +1200, Dave Taylor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:431c3c89$(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Tried in 2 boxes. Can't open drive as has star screwheads which I've
>> never seen b4, and I thought I'd seen them all. Ah well, keep on trying.
>>

>Torx AKA Posidrive screws.

Pozidrive is a modified Phillips screw head, not like a Torx screw at
all.

> Often used in electronics, but a pain because
>you really need the correct head to overcome the initial torque to release
>them. Take the drive to a Jaycars, undo them there?

Dave Taylor

Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net:

> On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 08:18:26 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
>
>> oh yeah, the magnets inside dead hard drives are great, very strong.

> I use the magnets for fridge magnets ( try and get THEM off sucker
> and the shiny disks are fun in the office, for reflecting sunlight on to
> dumb****s monitor (Of course I dont do that, it was the other rotters..
> honest)

Platters make good ninja frisbees. Hieeyaaaaaa

--
Ciao, Dave

Spinrite Question Concerning HD Testing dt@no.net Computer Support 14 09-18-2007 06:33 AM
SpinRite Andrew A+ Certification 4 06-02-2005 03:51 PM
Spinrite 6 Jim Watt Computer Security 0 05-28-2005 01:20 PM

Advertisments