Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cd writer + linux = damn thing wont work

cd writer + linux = damn thing wont work

Andrew

Ive just put in a cd writer into a linux box (redhat 9)

already have a dvd rom drive in the machine

Trying to use cdrecord to burn to it.

What i can do:
i can mount the drives and read cds that i put into the drive

what i cant do is burn to the writer

if i run cdrecord -scanbus i dont see the drives:
Cdrecord 2.0 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.25
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version
(schily - Red Hat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.75-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c
1.75 02/10/21 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'IBM-ESXS' 'ST318305LW !#' 'B244' Disk
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

im trying to work out the missing part of this command:
cdrecord -v dev=??? speed=32 -data data.iso

dvd drive is in /mnt/cdrom and the writer is /mnt/cdrom1

fstab says:
{834} > cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
LABEL=/local1 /local1 ext3 defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0
/var/swap/swapfile-1 swap swap defaults 0 0
/var/swap/swapfile-2 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

Shane

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:30:10 +1200, Andrew wrote:

> Ive just put in a cd writer into a linux box (redhat 9)
>
> already have a dvd rom drive in the machine
>
> Trying to use cdrecord to burn to it.
>
> What i can do:
> i can mount the drives and read cds that i put into the drive
>
> what i cant do is burn to the writer

I cant use cdrecord for sh*t, have you tried K3B?
On my slackware box for the life of me I couldnt get cdrecord to burn cds,
but K3B does it perfectly

http://www.k3b.org/
HTH

Andrew

Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:30:10 +1200, Andrew wrote:
>

>>Ive just put in a cd writer into a linux box (redhat 9)
>>
>>already have a dvd rom drive in the machine
>>
>>Trying to use cdrecord to burn to it.
>>
>>What i can do:
>>i can mount the drives and read cds that i put into the drive
>>
>>what i cant do is burn to the writer

> I cant use cdrecord for sh*t, have you tried K3B?
> On my slackware box for the life of me I couldnt get cdrecord to burn cds,
> but K3B does it perfectly
>
> http://www.k3b.org/
> HTH

k3b is on another machine around here (these machiens are not mine, they
are my work machines)

Someone here attempted to put k3b on but my machine complained about not
having qt something, not exactly sure what it is

ive been using cdrecord from my machine to burn using another machiens
drives, but that machien has retired and that drive has been put into my
machine...

so i have a couple of options - try to get kb3 to work or work out why
cdrecord is being a pain

Shane

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:39:16 +1200, Andrew wrote:

> Shane wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:30:10 +1200, Andrew wrote:
>>

>>>Ive just put in a cd writer into a linux box (redhat 9)
>>>
>>>already have a dvd rom drive in the machine
>>>
>>>Trying to use cdrecord to burn to it.
>>>
>>>What i can do:
>>>i can mount the drives and read cds that i put into the drive
>>>
>>>what i cant do is burn to the writer

>> I cant use cdrecord for sh*t, have you tried K3B? On my slackware box
>> for the life of me I couldnt get cdrecord to burn cds, but K3B does it
>> perfectly
>>
>> http://www.k3b.org/
>> HTH
>>

> k3b is on another machine around here (these machiens are not mine, they
> are my work machines)
>
> Someone here attempted to put k3b on but my machine complained about not
> having qt something, not exactly sure what it is
>
> ive been using cdrecord from my machine to burn using another machiens
> drives, but that machien has retired and that drive has been put into my
> machine...
>
> so i have a couple of options - try to get kb3 to work or work out why
> cdrecord is being a pain

no qt means no kde?
perhaps xcdroast could help (another frontend for cdrecord)
http://www.xcdroast.org/

what kernel is your box running?
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdrecord.html
has some interesting info

Andrew

Shane wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:39:16 +1200, Andrew wrote:
>

>>Shane wrote:

>>>I cant use cdrecord for sh*t, have you tried K3B? On my slackware box
>>>for the life of me I couldnt get cdrecord to burn cds, but K3B does it
>>>perfectly
>>>
>>>http://www.k3b.org/
>>>HTH
>>>

>>k3b is on another machine around here (these machiens are not mine, they
>>are my work machines)
>>
>>Someone here attempted to put k3b on but my machine complained about not
>>having qt something, not exactly sure what it is
>>
>>ive been using cdrecord from my machine to burn using another machiens
>>drives, but that machien has retired and that drive has been put into my
>>machine...
>>
>>so i have a couple of options - try to get kb3 to work or work out why
>>cdrecord is being a pain

> no qt means no kde?
> perhaps xcdroast could help (another frontend for cdrecord)
> http://www.xcdroast.org/
>

> what kernel is your box running?
> http://cdrecord.berlios.de/old/private/cdrecord.html
> has some interesting info

i am using kde
Kernel is 2.4.26-31

I have actually got it sorted now
I added this line:
hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

To the lilo.conf file

and now scanbus sees them
cdrecord works too

yay

- i will look at kb3 a bit later - that way i can make use of the dvd
burner in my machine, not that it matters as there are other machines
with dvd burners in them nearby

Fran

Andrew wrote:
> i am using kde
> Kernel is 2.4.26-31
>
> I have actually got it sorted now
> I added this line:
> hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
>
> To the lilo.conf file
>
> and now scanbus sees them
> cdrecord works too
>
> yay
>
> - i will look at kb3 a bit later - that way i can make use of the dvd
> burner in my machine, not that it matters as there are other machines
> with dvd burners in them nearby

K3B uses cdrecord etc to do the work.
It's just a nice gui front-end.

The ide-scsi line isn't needed with 2.6.x kernels - much easier and cdrecord
used the /dev/hdc type of device properly.
Only put ide-scsi for drives that are writers.

Fran

ChrisOD

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew wrote:
> Shane wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:30:10 +1200, Andrew wrote:
>>

>>>Ive just put in a cd writer into a linux box (redhat 9)
>>>
>>>already have a dvd rom drive in the machine
>>>
>>>Trying to use cdrecord to burn to it.
>>>
>>>What i can do:
>>>i can mount the drives and read cds that i put into the drive
>>>
>>>what i cant do is burn to the writer

>> I cant use cdrecord for sh*t, have you tried K3B?
>> On my slackware box for the life of me I couldnt get cdrecord to burn cds,
>> but K3B does it perfectly
>>
>> http://www.k3b.org/
>> HTH
>>

> k3b is on another machine around here (these machiens are not mine, they
> are my work machines)
>
> Someone here attempted to put k3b on but my machine complained about not
> having qt something, not exactly sure what it is
>
> ive been using cdrecord from my machine to burn using another machiens
> drives, but that machien has retired and that drive has been put into my
> machine...
>
> so i have a couple of options - try to get kb3 to work or work out why
> cdrecord is being a pain

I think you need to put the kernel parameter
hdc=ide-scsi" in your boot manager
eg
in lilo
append hdc="ide-scsi"
this assumes hdc is your cdrom
hda is primary master
hdb is primary slave

Of course after editing lilo.conf
do a
lilo -v

Shane

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:59:57 +1200, Fran wrote:

> Andrew wrote:
>> i am using kde
>> Kernel is 2.4.26-31
>>
>> I have actually got it sorted now
>> I added this line:
>> hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi
>>
>> To the lilo.conf file
>>
>> and now scanbus sees them
>> cdrecord works too
>>
>> yay
>>
>> - i will look at kb3 a bit later - that way i can make use of the dvd
>> burner in my machine, not that it matters as there are other machines
>> with dvd burners in them nearby

> K3B uses cdrecord etc to do the work. It's just a nice gui front-end.
>
> The ide-scsi line isn't needed with 2.6.x kernels - much easier and
> cdrecord used the /dev/hdc type of device properly. Only put ide-scsi for
> drives that are writers.
>
> Fran

er.. that line is said to be required for my slackware box with a 2.4
kernel, but, I dont have it, and I use k3b (and yes it is a gui for
cdrecord)
cdrw here to

moral of the story.. k3b rocks

Allistar

ChrisOD wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew wrote:
>> Shane wrote:

>>> I cant use cdrecord for sh*t, have you tried K3B?
>>> On my slackware box for the life of me I couldnt get cdrecord to burn
>>> cds, but K3B does it perfectly
>>>
>>> http://www.k3b.org/
>>> HTH
>>>

>> k3b is on another machine around here (these machiens are not mine, they
>> are my work machines)
>>
>> Someone here attempted to put k3b on but my machine complained about not
>> having qt something, not exactly sure what it is
>>
>> ive been using cdrecord from my machine to burn using another machiens
>> drives, but that machien has retired and that drive has been put into my
>> machine...
>>
>> so i have a couple of options - try to get kb3 to work or work out why
>> cdrecord is being a pain

> I think you need to put the kernel parameter
> hdc=ide-scsi" in your boot manager
> eg
> in lilo
> append hdc="ide-scsi"
> this assumes hdc is your cdrom
> hda is primary master
> hdb is primary slave
>
> Of course after editing lilo.conf
> do a
> lilo -v

This is no longer needed if you are running a 2.6 series kernel.

Allistar.

Fran

Shane wrote:
>> The ide-scsi line isn't needed with 2.6.x kernels - much easier and
>> cdrecord used the /dev/hdc type of device properly. Only put ide-scsi for
>> drives that are writers.
>>
>> Fran
>>

> er.. that line is said to be required for my slackware box with a 2.4
> kernel, but, I dont have it, and I use k3b (and yes it is a gui for
> cdrecord)
> cdrw here to
>
> moral of the story.. k3b rocks

Yes k3b rocks.