Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop video cards sharing with system memory

Reply
Thread Tools

Laptop video cards sharing with system memory

 
 
Gary L T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2005
I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its video
system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems that most of
the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/ graphics chip, they are
usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an important drawback of such
laptops, or would it be noticeable only when playing high-end games that
need a lot of graphics power? Would the playing back of films / videos be
satisfactory when viewing them on laptops where the video is shared with the
system's main memory?

I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be sharing
with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video chip? Would
this chip be suitable for video editing and for playing car racing games
etc? Thanks for your help.

Gary


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2005
"Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its
> video system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems
> that most of the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/
> graphics chip, they are usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an
> important drawback of such laptops, or would it be noticeable only
> when playing high-end games that need a lot of graphics power?



Yes

Would
> the playing back of films / videos be satisfactory when viewing them
> on laptops where the video is shared with the system's main memory?


Yes


>
> I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
> integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be
> sharing with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video
> chip?


Don't know

Would this chip be suitable for video editing
Probably not

and for playing
> car racing games etc?


New ones, from 2005, no

Thanks for your help.
>
> Gary
>
>
>




--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ChrisC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2005
Hi, a X700 is a good chip to have and will play all high end games just
fine. My own laptop has a X600 with only 64mb's of ram and it plays Doom3,
HL2 just fine at quite hig settings. If you want to look at these forums
you'll probably find an answer to your question on video editing.....
http://www.notebookforums.com/forumd...91636ba5&f=135
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Cheers,
ChrisC
"Dave Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96C2EA1CD8FB4daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.3 7.6...
> "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its
>> video system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems
>> that most of the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/
>> graphics chip, they are usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an
>> important drawback of such laptops, or would it be noticeable only
>> when playing high-end games that need a lot of graphics power?

>
>
> Yes
>
> Would
>> the playing back of films / videos be satisfactory when viewing them
>> on laptops where the video is shared with the system's main memory?

>
> Yes
>
>
>>
>> I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
>> integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be
>> sharing with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video
>> chip?

>
> Don't know
>
> Would this chip be suitable for video editing
> Probably not
>
> and for playing
>> car racing games etc?

>
> New ones, from 2005, no
>
> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Gary
>>
>>
>>

>
>
>
> --
> Ciao, Dave



 
Reply With Quote
 
Mel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005
Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc

Mel

Gary L T wrote:
> I have read that it is not desirable to buy a laptop which has its video
> system shared with the computer's system RAM. However, it seems that most of
> the cheaper laptops do not have a dedicated video/ graphics chip, they are
> usually shared. Is this sharing of memory an important drawback of such
> laptops, or would it be noticeable only when playing high-end games that
> need a lot of graphics power? Would the playing back of films / videos be
> satisfactory when viewing them on laptops where the video is shared with the
> system's main memory?
>
> I have been looking at an Acer Aspire 1694WLMi laptop which has an
> integrated ATI Mobility Radeon X700 128MB chip. Would this chip be sharing
> with the computer's system memory, or is it a dedicated video chip? Would
> this chip be suitable for video editing and for playing car racing games
> etc? Thanks for your help.
>
> Gary
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005
Mel wrote:
> Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
> processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
> it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
> genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc
>
> Mel
>


True.

Not to be confused with the Celeron M series processors, which are based
on the more efficient Penitum M cores.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary L T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005

"ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:4314651f$0$1280$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, a X700 is a good chip to have and will play all high end games just
> fine. My own laptop has a X600 with only 64mb's of ram and it plays Doom3,
> HL2 just fine at quite hig settings. If you want to look at these forums
> you'll probably find an answer to your question on video editing.....
> http://www.notebookforums.com/forumd...91636ba5&f=135
> http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
> Cheers,
> ChrisC


Thanks for this information, most helpful, a dedicated laptop forum is a
good idea!


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary L T
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005

"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:df323m$5h9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mel wrote:
>> Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
>> processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
>> it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
>> genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc
>>
>> Mel
>>

>
> True.
>
> Not to be confused with the Celeron M series processors, which are based
> on the more efficient Penitum M cores.


I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?

Gary


 
Reply With Quote
 
DoggNZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:45:51 +1200, "Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:df323m$5h9$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mel wrote:
>>> Gary - one mistake I made was to buy a laptop with an "Intel Celereon"
>>> processor - stay away from these; as the more software used, the slower
>>> it gets despite good RAM ... wish I had paid a little more and got a
>>> genuine Intel "Pentium" or even AMD series processor - eg Athlon etc
>>>
>>> Mel
>>>

>>
>> True.
>>
>> Not to be confused with the Celeron M series processors, which are based
>> on the more efficient Penitum M cores.

>
>I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
>would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
>with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
>difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?
>
>Gary
>


Don't get Pentium M confused with Centrino. Centrino itself is not a
type of processor but a marketing phrase used by Intel.

http://www.intel.com/products/centrino/

--
SETI Stats
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats...j:1/trans:-off
 
Reply With Quote
 
Daniel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005
Gary L T wrote:
>
> I was told that the Celeron M chips, that are on many lower cost notebooks,
> would not be suitable for playing games etc, as they were too slow compared
> with the Intel Centrino series. In other words, there must be quite a big
> difference between the Celeron M and the Centrino chips?
>
> Gary
>

As DoggNZ stated, Centrino is not a chip, but more of a marketing label
made up by Intel.

However, Centrino laptops do use Pentium M's (in addition to an Intel
chipset, and Intel wireless technology).

Considering the Celeron M's are basically the same chips as the Pentium
M's - AFAIK, with the main differences being the cache (512K/1MB vs
1MB/2MB), and FSB speed, I'd be surprised if there was significant
difference between those CPUs running at the same clock speed. Unlike
the Pentium 4 vs "normal" Celeron.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ChrisC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2005
Hi, yw, hope they are of good use in your search....
ChrisC
"Gary L T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43153465$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "ChrisC" <cuke2u(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:4314651f$0$1280$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, a X700 is a good chip to have and will play all high end games just
>> fine. My own laptop has a X600 with only 64mb's of ram and it plays
>> Doom3, HL2 just fine at quite hig settings. If you want to look at these
>> forums you'll probably find an answer to your question on video
>> editing.....
>> http://www.notebookforums.com/forumd...91636ba5&f=135
>> http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
>> Cheers,
>> ChrisC

>
> Thanks for this information, most helpful, a dedicated laptop forum is a
> good idea!
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop Video Cards Upgradable?? cgott Computer Information 1 09-11-2006 06:58 PM
Laptop video cards rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 3 09-09-2005 10:54 PM
2 desktop connected and sharing, 1 laptop connect but not sharing =?Utf-8?B?ZHRhcHBlbkByb2dlcnMuY29t?= Wireless Networking 0 09-02-2005 01:58 PM
Video cards and TV Capture cards rfdjr1@optonline.net Computer Support 3 01-31-2004 10:28 PM



Advertisments