Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Help with wireless routers...recomendations ?

Help with wireless routers...recomendations ?

paradise

I dont know much about wireless routers.

I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.

My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
another computer in the house.

My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
in line of sight approx 800 m away.

Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.

I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/

Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated

NZed

shannon

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:

> I dont know much about wireless routers.
>
> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
>
> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
> another computer in the house.
>
> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
>
> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
>
> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
>
> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
>
> NZed

Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
Firmware available from
http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

XP

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +1200, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
>
>> I dont know much about wireless routers.
>>
>> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
>>
>> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
>> another computer in the house.
>>
>> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
>> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
>>
>> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
>> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
>> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
>>
>> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
>>
>> NZed

>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
>Firmware available from
>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

What Lunix Beta crap, you are Joking...

XP

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +1200, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
>
>> I dont know much about wireless routers.
>>
>> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
>>
>> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
>> another computer in the house.
>>
>> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
>> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
>>
>> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
>> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
>> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
>>
>> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
>>
>> NZed

>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
>Firmware available from
>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

And Supports the C.G.A.

Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

Dave Taylor

XP <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What Lunix Beta crap, you are Joking...

Suggest something then.

--
Ciao, Dave

Rex Havoc

"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +1200, shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
>>
>>> I dont know much about wireless routers.
>>>
>>> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
>>>
>>> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
>>> another computer in the house.
>>>
>>> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop
>>> which is
>>> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
>>>
>>> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to
>>> use.
>>>
>>> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
>>> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
>>> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
>>>
>>> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
>>>
>>> NZed

>>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
>>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
>>Firmware available from
>>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
>>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

> And Supports the C.G.A.
>
> Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

Craig Sutton

"Rex Havoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43143bc2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
> >>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
> >>Firmware available from
> >>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
> >>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

> > And Supports the C.G.A.
> >
> > Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

> XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

Simple "XP" is a failure and has no supporters

SteveM

shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43142556$(E-Mail Removed):

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
>
>> I dont know much about wireless routers.
>>
>> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
>>
>> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
>> another computer in the house.
>>
>> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop
>> which is in line of sight approx 800 m away.
>>
>> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products
>> to use.
>>
>> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
>> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
>> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
>>
>> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
>>
>> NZed

> Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
> ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
> Firmware available from
> http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
> Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

Agree, but for the 800m link you will need two of them and also suitable
antennas. Try the forums @ www.nzwireless.org for more info.

Steve

XPD

"Rex Havoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43143bc2$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> And Supports the C.G.A.
>>
>> Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

> XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

XP hears one little negative thing about ANY store and they get put on his
shitelist...... in other words hes a prize pillock.

BTW XP, who u voting for this year ? :-p

XP

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:58:07 +1200, "Rex Havoc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"XP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
>>>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
>>>Firmware available from
>>>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
>>>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

>> And Supports the C.G.A.
>>
>> Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

>XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

Go on the Web sites and read..