Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > What can I do with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum?

What can I do with a Sinclair ZX Spectrum?

RdM

I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.

Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?

Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.

I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.

Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?

PAM.

"RdM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
> Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
> Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
> I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
> Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?

Is it one with a built in tape deck? Maybe you can check the 'net for games
and ways of getting it onto the machine?

PAM.

Thor

PAM. wrote:

> "RdM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
>> Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
>> Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
>> I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
>> Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?

> Is it one with a built in tape deck? Maybe you can check the 'net for
> games and ways of getting it onto the machine?
>
> PAM.

Even without a built in tape deck, get hold of an old one, they are just
audio files, you can play them from your speakers and then record them with
a mike onto tapes for use in that machine. The BBC used to play them across
the radio and it was just a matter of taping them.

--
*~~~~~~~~~~Thor

PAM.

> Even without a built in tape deck, get hold of an old one, they are just
> audio files, you can play them from your speakers and then record them

with
> a mike onto tapes for use in that machine. The BBC used to play them

across
> the radio and it was just a matter of taping them.

I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
musc box

PAM.

Richard

PAM. wrote:

> I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
> musc box

Of just plug the line out of the PC to the spectrum and play the file straight
into it.

where can you download stuff from? I have an old spectrum at mums place but I
dont have a tape deck anymore and dont really feel like buying one

Thor

Richard wrote:

> PAM. wrote:
>
>> I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
>> musc box

> Of just plug the line out of the PC to the spectrum and play the file
> straight into it.

You'd have to watch the levels, they were very sensitive can't be to loud
or too soft and you need all the treble you can get before getting hiss.

> where can you download stuff from? I have an old spectrum at mums place
> but I dont have a tape deck anymore and dont really feel like buying one

Here's a good starting place

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/archive.html

--
*~~~~~~~~~~Thor

Daniel

Or plug the CD player into the sinclair.. "my Sinclair has a CD ROM "

PAM. wrote:
> "Thor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>> Even without a built in tape deck, get hold of an old one, they are just
>>audio files, you can play them from your speakers and then record them

> with
>
>>a mike onto tapes for use in that machine. The BBC used to play them

> across
>
>>the radio and it was just a matter of taping them.

> I'd prefer burning them to CD and then copying them from CD to tape on a
> musc box
>
> PAM.

Thor

Daniel wrote:

> Or plug the CD player into the sinclair.. "my Sinclair has a CD ROM "

That would probably work to, straight from the cd headphone socket, the
only rouble would be finding the games You would get heaps on a cd.

--
*~~~~~~~~~~Thor

AD.

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 01:00:05 +1200, RdM wrote:

> I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
>
> Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?
>
> Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
>
> I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.
>
> Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?

I remember spending a lot of time playing Tomahawk - an Apache gunship
flight sim with a relatively realistic flight model and even a 'real time'
campaign.

I still marvel about how they managed to fit that into 48k. It was quite
amazing how games progressed for it - from simple crap like Horace and the
spiders up to stuff like Elite and Tomahawk.

I think I blew about two years worth of paper run savings on that machine

--
Cheers
Anton

steve

RdM wrote:
> I have one, with power supply. It goes, ISTR, hooked to a TV.
>
> Wondering what uses or pleasures I could obtain with it?

"Lords of Midnight" (IIRC) was an awesome game at the time.

> Else I am going to auction it in vintage computers on TradeMe.
>
> I have no software or other peripherals to go with it.

Too bad.

> Any ideas? Or is it better going to some enthusiast via auction?

Better to an enthusiast - by whatever means.