Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Google Earth

Google Earth

Squirrel

Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

Squirrel

PAM.

"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
> just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

IMO, novelty. NZ is pretty crap resolution as is most of the world because
most of the world is NOT USA.

Quite nice to look and play with but I see no real value in it. What can YOU
use it for?

PAM.

Squirrel

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:45:36 +1200, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
>> just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

>IMO, novelty. NZ is pretty crap resolution as is most of the world because
>most of the world is NOT USA.
>
>Quite nice to look and play with but I see no real value in it. What can YOU
>use it for?
>
>PAM.

Like I said abouve, but it sounds like it is not worth it.

Squirrel

~misfit~

Squirrel wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:45:36 +1200, "PAM." <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience??
>>> I just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol

>> IMO, novelty. NZ is pretty crap resolution as is most of the world
>> because most of the world is NOT USA.
>>
>> Quite nice to look and play with but I see no real value in it. What
>> can YOU use it for?
>>
>> PAM.
>>

> Like I said above, but it sounds like it is not worth it.

For some reason my house is in an area that has fairly detailed coverage.
(I'm not paranoid) You can see the house etc quite well. However,
GoogleEarth shows a row of trees behind the house which were cut down about
a year ago so I don't know how up-to-date it is. Also, other areas in NZ I
looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out, yet
alone a house.
--
~misfit~

gl

fantastic for schools / teaching institutions...

as for home users, perhaps not so...

"Squirrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience?? I
> just wanna sit above my stalkers house and laugh lol
>
> Squirrel

Peter Huebner

> . Also, other areas in NZ I
> looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out, yet
> alone a house.

I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
river that goes down our vally. **** poor.
I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada. Interesting:
it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps available you
can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on the ships in port!,
but get a few miles out into the country side and it's like I described
above (utterly forgettable; useless as tits on a bull).

I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that the
original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

cheers, -Peter

~misfit~

Peter Huebner wrote:
> says...
>> . Also, other areas in NZ I
>> looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out,
>> yet alone a house.
>>

> I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
> river that goes down our vally. **** poor.
> I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada.
> Interesting: it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps
> available you can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on the
> ships in port!, but get a few miles out into the country side and
> it's like I described above (utterly forgettable; useless as tits on
> a bull).
>
> I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that the
> original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

Like I said, for some weird reason Pukekohe is quite detailed. You can see
my house quite clearly, cars in driveways etc.

My current position is 37 11' 32.06" South 174 53' 19.47" East. That white
bit at the back of the house is the sun reflecting of the Clearlite roof
over a small deck.
--
~misfit~

SteveM

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4313f129$(E-Mail Removed):

> Peter Huebner wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>> . Also, other areas in NZ I
>>> looked at are just a blur, no way you're going to pick a street out,
>>> yet alone a house.
>>>

>> I had a look at our area and you can see neither rural roads nor the
>> river that goes down our vally. **** poor.
>> I then tried to locate the place of some friends in Canada.
>> Interesting: it seems that where Google Earth has detailed town maps
>> available you can count the lanes on the roads, the containers on the
>> ships in port!, but get a few miles out into the country side and
>> it's like I described above (utterly forgettable; useless as tits on
>> a bull).
>>
>> I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that
>> the original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

> Like I said, for some weird reason Pukekohe is quite detailed. You can
> see my house quite clearly, cars in driveways etc.
>
> My current position is 37 11' 32.06" South 174 53' 19.47" East. That
> white bit at the back of the house is the sun reflecting of the
> Clearlite roof over a small deck.

So that's where the DVD went.

It came from 3652'18.14"S 3652'18.14"S

My view is nowhere as good as yours....

As an aside, my father-in-law was living in Italy when he had a turn for
the worse (he's OK now). He was staying in a tiny southern italian village
which I was able to find, and was very lucky as the resolution was as good
as Puke' - if not better.
It was just nice to be able to see where he was and see some of the things
that he described to us. I showed it to him when he came home and he was
blown away. He reckoned that none of the residents in that little village
would be aware of how "visable" they are to the rest of the world....

For those interested the village is called Viggano and is located at:
4020'24.34"N 1553'57.46"E

SteveM

Adam Cameron

> Is Google Earth worth loading, or is it major novelty experience??

I think it's worth loading if you're interested in doing more than hovering
over your stalker's house.

I like looking at maps and stuff for no other reason than to see what
places look like, and how they come together, and Google Earth gives me a
map of everything on Earth.

I guess if you get nothing out of trivial knowledge like "oh, so *that's*
where the Hollywood sign is", or "my! aren't the pyramids big", then it's a
waste of time.

Obviously it's better to visit these things for real, but that'snot an
immediate possibility for a lot of us

--

Adam

T A R T

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:35:43 +1200, Peter Huebner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I very much doubt I will fire it up again. Ymmv, and it's not that the
>original download is all that humongous, at just over 5 Mb.

I thought it was a waste of time and space!

Have removed it.