Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Networking Query

Networking Query

KiwiBrian

I have a friend who has just had a wireless LAN device installed.
It connects to one port of her modem/router.
Also on the router is her Desktop PC.
She has a laptop which is to be used on the wireless LAN for Internet
access, and sharing of files and folders between the Desktop PC and the
Laptop.
The installer has created a 'share' folder on the desktop of both PCs and
told her that to share files and folders they must be copied to this 'share'
folder.
What are the implications of using this method as opposed to the method I
use where all files and folders are available through "My Network Places" on
both my PCs?
I am hesitant to criticise the work of a "Professional" but his method seems
an inferior one.
But I assume that there are considerations that I am not aware of, hence
this query.
TIA
Brian Tozer

XPD

"KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dekuma$sp4$(E-Mail Removed)...

> The installer has created a 'share' folder on the desktop of both PCs and
> told her that to share files and folders they must be copied to this
> 'share' folder.
> What are the implications of using this method as opposed to the method I
> use where all files and folders are available through "My Network Places"
> on both my PCs?

No difference at all, it just sounds like theyve setup a shortcut to the
shared folder thats all.
If you go into My Network Places, youll probably see that folder in there as
well.

Phstpok

XPD stubbed out the damp squib on 26/08/2005 8:13 a.m.and tried to bring
to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> "KiwiBrian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dekuma$sp4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>

>>The installer has created a 'share' folder on the desktop of both PCs and
>>told her that to share files and folders they must be copied to this
>>'share' folder.
>>What are the implications of using this method as opposed to the method I
>>use where all files and folders are available through "My Network Places"
>>on both my PCs?

> No difference at all, it just sounds like theyve setup a shortcut to the
> shared folder thats all.
> If you go into My Network Places, youll probably see that folder in there as
> well.

It is just one of ms lighter security methods., Share just the one
folder instead of seeing everything in both machines. You only see what
the oher user wants you to see.

Phstpok