Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Photoshop > Jpeg

Photoshop > Jpeg

Southern Kiwi

I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi

Mike Dee

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> in .PSD format, I want to convert and
> downscale the resolution into JPEG files without having to
> re-install Photoshop? Prefer free program as I will only be using
> it the once.

The Gimp (Windows or Linux versions) is fine for this.

--
dee

Southern Kiwi

Mike Dee wrote:
> "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> in .PSD format, I want to convert and
>> downscale the resolution into JPEG files without having to
>> re-install Photoshop? Prefer free program as I will only be using
>> it the once.

> The Gimp (Windows or Linux versions) is fine for this.

Ta

--
Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a
Guru...but not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Chris Hope

Southern Kiwi wrote:

> I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to
> 100mb
> each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale
> the resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
> Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

You could try ImageMagick. It's a command line tool that has all sorts
of image conversion functions.

For example to convert from psd to jpg you'd do:
convert -flatten foo.psd foo.jpg

There's a -quality flag for setting the quality of the jpeg image.

There are Windows binary releases as well as cygwin, *nix and source
releases available.

http://www.imagemagick.org/

Dave Taylor

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to

100mb
> each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
> resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
> Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.
>

> --
> Cheers
> Southern Kiwi
> southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
> Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a

Guru...but
> not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...

Irfanview is a whole lot smaller for a job like this and supports batch
conversion - folder to folder.
http://www.irfanview.com/
http://tucows.inspire.net.nz/files2/iview397.exe

--
Ciao, Dave

Phstpok

Dave Taylor stubbed out the damp squib on 25/08/2005 10:27 p.m.and tried
to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to

> 100mb
>
>>each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
>>resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
>>Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.
>>

>>--
>>Cheers
>>Southern Kiwi
>>southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
>>Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a

> Guru...but
>
>>not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...
>>

> Irfanview is a whole lot smaller for a job like this and supports batch
> conversion - folder to folder.
> http://www.irfanview.com/
> http://tucows.inspire.net.nz/files2/iview397.exe

And I'm a staunch advocate of Polyview http://www.polybytes.com

-=rjh=-

Southern Kiwi wrote:
> I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
> each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
> resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
> Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

Irfanview will almost certainly do this, it is good for batch
conversion, resampling and renaming and will also write IPTC data to
your output jpgs.

I *guarantee* you'll use irfanview more than once

If you want to make management of the output files a little easier, also
look at exifer for adding IPTC data, I've just gone through the process
of uploading some images to Flickr, if the IPTC is intact and meaningful
you don't have to label, describe or keyword your images online, which
is a big timesaver.

Rider

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
> each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format,

Why?

*sorry, had to ask*

steve

Southern Kiwi wrote:

> I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to 100mb
> each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format, I want to convert and downscale the
> resolution into JPEG files without having to re-install Photoshop?
> Prefer free program as I will only be using it the once.

Try the GIMP.

Open Source app.....for Windows / Linux / Unix.

Here is a writeup that mentions the files you're talking about.

http://tikal.bo.astro.it/~zavatti/GUM/whatis.html

Southern Kiwi

Rider wrote:
> "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have a whole heap (100 odd) photos in very high resolution (up to
>> 100mb each (don't ask!)) in .PSD format,

> Why?
>
> *sorry, had to ask*

Theres always one!

"Someone" told them if they sampled at very high resolution they would print
better.
I have found some black & white photos that were over 600mb! At a guess I
reckon they would have averaged 200mb
Some of the B&W were saved as true colour

Spent about 2 hours converting, resampling and saving at a more repectable
rate, now they can get their whole collection on 1 CDROM and it dosn't take
them 90 seconds to open each one