Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > !C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer

!C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer

Max Burke

Film Archive, Wellington
C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer
Opens in the mediagallery Friday 26 August until 8 October.
Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
contemporary artists still using them.
Read more

http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/news/news.html

Found Images

AD.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

> Film Archive, Wellington
> C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer Opens in the mediagallery Friday
> 26 August until 8 October. Forgotten relics from the dawn of home
> computing and a collection of contemporary artists still using them. Read
> more
>
> http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/news/news.html

Yeah, I walk past there on my way to/from work and noticed the posters.
Should be kinda fun to go and see.

Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes

--
Cheers
Anton

Max Burke

> AD. scribbled:

>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

>> Film Archive, Wellington
>> C:/DOS/RUN: Remembering the 80s Computer Opens in the mediagallery
>> Friday 26 August until 8 October. Forgotten relics from the dawn of
>> home computing and a collection of contemporary artists still using
>> them. Read more

>> http://www.filmarchive.org.nz/news/news.html

> Yeah, I walk past there on my way to/from work and noticed the
> posters. Should be kinda fun to go and see.

> Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes

Hey they're artists. It's called creativity....

--
(E-Mail Removed)
Found Images

AD.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:48:27 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

>> Did anyone else notice forward slashes instead of backslashes

> Hey they're artists. It's called creativity....

I blame the web and URLs for the confusion

Unless they're actually unix artists <chortle>

--
Cheers
Anton

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200 when I remembered "Max
Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
>contemporary artists still using them.

What do you mean forgotten relic? I still have a C64 and Amiga 500
sitting around somewhere...

I remember my first computer around 1991, it was a BBC Micro.
Excellent computer, you could type sentences and it would say them, in
a uber-robotic voice. Did work processing.

20 years later, I use my computer for internet, email and word
processing. So technology's increased but the uses for it haven't
increased as much.

Though I do think rendering Toy Story on a C64 might be a long and
arduous journey...
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Harry

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> T'was the Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200 when I remembered "Max
> Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>>Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
>>contemporary artists still using them.

> What do you mean forgotten relic? I still have a C64 and Amiga 500
> sitting around somewhere...
>
> I remember my first computer around 1991, it was a BBC Micro.
> Excellent computer, you could type sentences and it would say them, in
> a uber-robotic voice. Did work processing.
>
> 20 years later, I use my computer for internet, email and word
> processing. So technology's increased but the uses for it haven't
> increased as much.

Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.

~misfit~

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Thu, 25 Aug 2005 19:33:48 +1200 when I remembered "Max
> Burke" <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> Forgotten relics from the dawn of home computing and a collection of
>> contemporary artists still using them.

> What do you mean forgotten relic? I still have a C64 and Amiga 500
> sitting around somewhere...

LOL, actually I have those two as well. Must get around to drop-kicking them
soon. Even have a Commodore compact casette tape drive. I use the 1084
monitor as a TV in the bedroom hooked up to a DVD/VCR/Tuner combo. Excellent
picture, better than any 14" TV I've seen (and it's only like, 12" or
something).
--
~misfit~

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:36:20 +1000 when I remembered Harry

>Let's see ... 1991 + 20 = 2011.

The future sucks. It's more of the same except with Google branding.
I'd stick to 2005 if I was you
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

RdM

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
nz.comp<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> [ ... ] I use the 1084
> monitor as a TV in the bedroom hooked up to a DVD/VCR/Tuner combo. Excellent
> picture, better than any 14" TV I've seen (and it's only like, 12" or
> something).

Nonsense! It's a good 13" or 13 1/4" visible like any 14" or so ... no?
Actually I have one here with the back off and the pic tube number starts
M34...... which I would guess is 34cm, about 13 1/2". The 1082 is equally
good, same size. You know they take s-video as well? Just split the C & L
into the two RCA plugs at the back and flip/push the CVBS/LCA switch
But I agree; I only run mine on composite, and people often comment on how
good the quality is. No shadowmask grain like yer average older 14" TV!
There are a few variants of the 1084 though, electronics wise. I did find
one schematic on the web; there's a giant Commodore resource somewhere.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

What is the Media Gallery street address ?

I've looked at the web site mentioned in one message, and looked
in the Wgtn telephone directory.