Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > (fwd) heh worms etc.

(fwd) heh worms etc.

John Dyer

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:44:44 +1200, steve wrote:

>> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:49:03 +1200, steve
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
>>>Xandros Linux 3.0.
>>>
>>>They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
>>>to use.
>>>
>>>They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

>> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

> ...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
>
> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
distro).
The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!

A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!

John

shannon

John Dyer wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:44:44 +1200, steve wrote:
>

>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>>>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>>>run for it's money in the home market I believe.

>>...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
>>wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
>>
>>That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

> Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
> January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
> distro).
> The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
> express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
> Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
> into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
>
> A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
>
> John

tragic
Its a pity your hardware vendor hasn't provide you with the resources
you need.

Bret

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:16:33 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:44:44 +1200, steve wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>>> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>>> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

>> ...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
>> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
>>
>> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

>Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
>January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
>distro).
>The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
>express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
>Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
>into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
>
>A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
>
>John

Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

John Dyer

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:09 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:16:33 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>> ...and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
>>> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
>>>
>>> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

>>Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
>>January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
>>distro).
>>The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
>>express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
>>Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
>>into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
>>
>>A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
>>
>>John

> Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

Any particular group? there are quite a few

Bret

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:55:12 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:09 +1200, Bret wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:16:33 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Err..no, not quite. I would love to run Xandros on my new PC (purchased in
>>>January) but it won't recognise my hardware, (neither will any other
>>>distro).
>>>The problem appears to be the raid controller on my mobo, a Gigabyte PCI
>>>express GA-8I915P Duo with a VIA VT6410 raid controller.
>>>Apparently I have to compile a driver for the loader, then integrate that
>>>into the kernel as well - all too difficult for a newbie!
>>>
>>>A pity it takes so long for Linux to integrate new hardware!
>>>
>>>John

>> Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

>Any particular group? there are quite a few

linux.kernel
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/lin...90004b8fe9607

Or
comp.os.linux.hardware

Here's a driver for SuSE Linux, Fedora Core Linux, Red Hat Linux and
Mandrake / Mandriva, not sure about the source though.

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=116

John Dyer

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:57:43 +1200, Bret wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:55:12 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 09:53:09 +1200, Bret wrote:

>>> Have you asked in a Linux group, they are "able" to help.

>>Any particular group? there are quite a few

> linux.kernel
> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/lin...90004b8fe9607
>
> Or
> comp.os.linux.hardware
>
> Here's a driver for SuSE Linux, Fedora Core Linux, Red Hat Linux and
> Mandrake / Mandriva, not sure about the source though.
>
> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=116

Thanks for that Brett, I am aware of the Viaarena site, the source code is
there and they offer compiled modules, but they are all for *old* distros
and old kernels like Mandrake 9.2, (gone past 10.2 now), Suse 8.2 (last was
9.3) etc etc. (I really want to use Xandros 3.0)
If this was for dos or windows I would compile it in a flash, but to do it
under linux means re-compiling the kernel, building a load module, etc etc
thats a bit too much for my level of knowledge at the moment!

From looking at the links you provided, it looks like its going to make it
into the kernel really soon anyway, so perhaps I'll just wait!

Thanks anyway,

Bret

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:30:13 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:57:43 +1200, Bret wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 20:55:12 +1200, John Dyer <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>>Any particular group? there are quite a few

>> linux.kernel
>> http://groups.google.co.nz/group/lin...90004b8fe9607
>>
>> Or
>> comp.os.linux.hardware
>>
>> Here's a driver for SuSE Linux, Fedora Core Linux, Red Hat Linux and
>> Mandrake / Mandriva, not sure about the source though.
>>
>> http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...0&SubCatID=116

>Thanks for that Brett, I am aware of the Viaarena site, the source code is
>there and they offer compiled modules, but they are all for *old* distros
>and old kernels like Mandrake 9.2, (gone past 10.2 now), Suse 8.2 (last was
>9.3) etc etc. (I really want to use Xandros 3.0)
>If this was for dos or windows I would compile it in a flash, but to do it
>under linux means re-compiling the kernel, building a load module, etc etc
>thats a bit too much for my level of knowledge at the moment!
>
>From looking at the links you provided, it looks like its going to make it
>into the kernel really soon anyway, so perhaps I'll just wait!

2.6.13 is out now, if that's the one.

>Thanks anyway,

No worrys.

Heh heh heh... Aquilegia Alyssum NZ Computing 2 12-13-2006 09:04 AM
heh heh, "stopfirefox" site Splibbilla Firefox 15 03-23-2006 09:04 AM
heh worms etc. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 8 08-25-2005 08:34 AM
heh heh Trog NZ Computing 4 07-17-2005 05:07 AM
Heh new worms Mimic Computer Security 1 01-28-2004 12:07 AM

Advertisments