Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Simple Networking

Simple Networking

T A R T

My husband has bought a new computer and we have decided to network
his old laptop and this new computer. Both computers have network
cards and are connected directly to a router which provides us with
broadband. What is the simplest way to directly network these
computers?

TIA

Thor

T A R T wrote:

> My husband has bought a new computer and we have decided to network
> his old laptop and this new computer. Both computers have network
> cards and are connected directly to a router which provides us with
> broadband. What is the simplest way to directly network these
> computers?
>

> TIA

Is it a multiport router then just plug the new one in with a cable. If
it's only a single port router/modem then you need a crossover cable
between the two computers and internet sharing enabled on the one connected
to the router.

--
*~~~~~~~~~~Thor

Gordon

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:41:11 +1200, Thor wrote:

> Is it a multiport router then just plug the new one in with a cable. If
> it's only a single port router/modem then you need a crossover cable
> between the two computers and internet sharing enabled on the one connected
> to the router.

Or, get a hub and plug the two PC's in to it as well as the output from
the router. Straight ethernet cables.

steve

T A R T wrote:

> My husband has bought a new computer and we have decided to network
> his old laptop and this new computer. Both computers have network
> cards and are connected directly to a router which provides us with
> broadband. What is the simplest way to directly network these
> computers?
>

> TIA

That should be it.

Just make sure you both have the same workgroup name for windews networking,
then share some resources (a directory with some files - or maybe a
printer)...and see if the other person can see it.

Your Windows firewall should take care of the firewall security aspect
automagically when you attempt to use one of the visible shares (one would
hope).

Enkidu

T A R T wrote:

> My husband has bought a new computer and we have
> decided to network his old laptop and this new
> computer. Both computers have network cards and
> are connected directly to a router which provides
> us with broadband. What is the simplest way to
> directly network these computers?

What exactly do you want to do? If both computers can access
the Internet it is very likely that they have addresses
assigned by your router and can already "network".

Try opening your "My Network Place", and "Entire Network",
and "Microsoft Windows Network" and see what you see. I
assume XP. The names of the icons will be different if you
use some other Operating System, probably.

If you want to get technical, open a Command Prompt, type
"ipconfig" and report what you see, in particular, the IP
addresses on both machines.

Cheers,

Cliff

Phstpok

> T A R T wrote:
> >

>> My husband has bought a new computer and we have

> > decided to network his old laptop and this new
> > computer. Both computers have network cards and
> > are connected directly to a router which provides
> > us with broadband. What is the simplest way to
> > directly network these computers?

www.wown.com

Dave Taylor

Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> T A R T wrote:
>> >

>>> My husband has bought a new computer and we have

>> > decided to network his old laptop and this new
>> > computer. Both computers have network cards and
>> > are connected directly to a router which provides
>> > us with broadband. What is the simplest way to
>> > directly network these computers?

> www.wown.com

Great resource. Lot of good tips in there. We can point n00bs there.

--
Ciao, Dave

T A R T

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:45:45 +1200, Enkidu <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>What exactly do you want to do?

We want to share files

> If both computers can access
>the Internet it is very likely that they have addresses
>assigned by your router and can already "network".
>
>Try opening your "My Network Place", and "Entire Network",
>and "Microsoft Windows Network" and see what you see. I
>assume XP. The names of the icons will be different if you
>use some other Operating System, probably.
>
>If you want to get technical, open a Command Prompt, type
>"ipconfig" and report what you see, in particular, the IP
>addresses on both machines.

Thanks for the help.