Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > USB Hi-Speed Drivers

USB Hi-Speed Drivers

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Running XP Home with SP2 on a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ I get a message
when I attach a portable USB hard drive saying the mass storage device
will function at a reduced speed and that I have to add a HI-SPEED USB
host controller.

The M/b manual states 'For USB2.0 under Windows XP operating
system, please use Windows Service Pack.'

I've searched around the web and the M/b site for HI-SPEED
drivers, but no luck so far.

Anyone got a solution or suggestions. [Linux excluded]

Terry

A friend of mine had the same problem. It turned out that the USB ports were
set in the BIOS to be 1.1 only. Once we changed the BIOS setting to 1.1/2
then XP home worked the USB at 'hi-speed' aka USB2.

Terry...

XP

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:56:15 +1200, lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:

> Running XP Home with SP2 on a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ I get a message
>when I attach a portable USB hard drive saying the mass storage device
>will function at a reduced speed and that I have to add a HI-SPEED USB
>host controller.
>
> The M/b manual states 'For USB2.0 under Windows XP operating
>system, please use Windows Service Pack.'
>
> I've searched around the web and the M/b site for HI-SPEED
>drivers, but no luck so far.
>
> Anyone got a solution or suggestions. [Linux excluded]

Not all ports are USB 2, all my back ports are USB 1 but the front ones are
USB 2..

Nova

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz wrote:
> Running XP Home with SP2 on a Gigabyte 7VM400M-RZ I get a message
> when I attach a portable USB hard drive saying the mass storage device
> will function at a reduced speed and that I have to add a HI-SPEED USB
> host controller.
>
> The M/b manual states 'For USB2.0 under Windows XP operating
> system, please use Windows Service Pack.'
>
> I've searched around the web and the M/b site for HI-SPEED
> drivers, but no luck so far.
>
> Anyone got a solution or suggestions. [Linux excluded]

I've had this before on one machine, I went to control panel, system,
hardware, device manager.

There I could see usb didn't have a driver, I then clicked on update
driver and windows ended up just installing it again, for some reason it
just didnt get intalled properly at some stage and so was only running
as usb.

Worth checking that anyway.

lrolloatparadisedotnetdotnz

Tks for replies

I found USB 2 not enabled in BIOS -- will now test to see if
enabling it solves problem.

Paul

Delete the USB controllers entry in device
manager, and reboot. This should fix it.

SP2 installs the USB 2 drivers, needed for USB 2.

news:430a7412$(E-Mail Removed)...