Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > heh worms etc.

Reply
Thread Tools

heh worms etc.

 
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2005
last week a certain large institution blocked emails from us because of
receiving a few virus/worms etc... over the weekend their network got
owned by zotob/whatever_it_is_called.

well it made me laugh.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-21-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

> last week a certain large institution blocked emails from us because of
> receiving a few virus/worms etc... over the weekend their network got
> owned by zotob/whatever_it_is_called.
>
> well it made me laugh.


While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
Xandros Linux 3.0.

They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
to use.

They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John in Surrey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:54:37 +1200,
"(E-Mail Removed)" <Waylon Kenning> wrote:

>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>run for it's money in the home market I believe.


There has to be more to an os then an easy install to win the home
market...


 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:49:03 +1200, steve
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
>>Xandros Linux 3.0.
>>
>>They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
>>to use.
>>
>>They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.

>
>
> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
> run for it's money in the home market I believe.


....and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.

That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.
 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
John in Surrey wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:54:37 +1200,
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <Waylon Kenning> wrote:
>
>
>>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>>run for it's money in the home market I believe.

>
> There has to be more to an os then an easy install to win the home
> market...


You need to have a look at Xandros 3.0.

It's an elegant and comprehensive answer to the point you make.

 
Reply With Quote
 
use.the.reply.to.header@this.is.fake
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:49:03 +1200, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>While in Canada recently I moved my mother, sister and younger brother to
>Xandros Linux 3.0.
>
>They have all said they really like it and didn't realise Linux was so easy
>to use.
>
>They especially like not having to worry about viruses and spyware.


Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
run for it's money in the home market I believe.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2005
steve wrote:
>> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>> run for it's money in the home market I believe.


> ....and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.


might have to give it a go again...
My problem last time was that it didn't support my wifi card, or my
modem, my two ways of accessing the net.

If it supports my wifi now, I'll be stoked.

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
http://synaptic.net.nz <- Dunedin Based IT and ISP services
 
Reply With Quote
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2005
Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
> steve wrote:
>
>>> Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>>> blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>>> run for it's money in the home market I believe.

>
>
>> ....and Xandros 3.0 with SP2 and Kernel 2.6.11 now recognises all my
>> wireless gear without me having to compile modules or use ndiswrapper.
>> That was the last link in the hardware chain that neded to be closed.

>
>
> might have to give it a go again...
> My problem last time was that it didn't support my wifi card, or my
> modem, my two ways of accessing the net.
>
> If it supports my wifi now, I'll be stoked.
>


I did a Xandros 3.0 install and then applied all the updates over an
ethernet card / cable connection.

Then once kernel 2.6.11 was installed, I shutdown, removed the ethernet
card and rebooted. The DSE 802.11b wireless card (RaLink RT2400 chipset)
was recognised and I was able to easily configure it via Xandros Control
Center (sic). It was then online without a reboot.

The 2.6.11 kernel also appears to support the Prism2-USB 802.11g wifi
adaptors. I have one of those, too....and will try it out when i get a mo'.

The DSE 802.11g PCI cards are based on the Realtek 8151 chipset....and
that isn't yet supported.

Any card with an RaLink RT2500 chipset (802.11g) should also be
supported by 2.6.11.



 
Reply With Quote
 
use.the.reply.to.header@this.is.fake
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2005
On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 07:41:24 +0000 (UTC), John in Surrey
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Xandros Linux 2.0 and 3.0 are awesome, man, that linux installation
>>blows me away. Seriously easy to setup, could easily give Windows a
>>run for it's money in the home market I believe.

>
>There has to be more to an os then an easy install to win the home
>market...


It's all easy. The installation of new software is super smooth.
Nearly like Linspire really. Xandros comes with Xandros Networks. You
browse through their server for software to install, click install, it
downloads and installs it. You don't even need to know the name of the
software, just what it does. Like Microsoft Update, but not just for
Microsoft software.

I believe if people saw Linspire or Xandros vs Windows, half the
people would pick Xandros, and the other half would pick Windows. It
really all depends on who has the better marketing IMHO, the software
is equally as good as each other.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heh heh heh... Aquilegia Alyssum NZ Computing 2 12-13-2006 09:04 AM
heh heh, "stopfirefox" site Splibbilla Firefox 15 03-23-2006 09:04 AM
(fwd) heh worms etc. John Dyer NZ Computing 6 08-29-2005 11:19 AM
heh heh Trog NZ Computing 4 07-17-2005 05:07 AM
Heh new worms Mimic Computer Security 1 01-28-2004 12:07 AM



Advertisments