Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I tried WinXP64 - my experience.

Reply
Thread Tools

I tried WinXP64 - my experience.

 
 
Bret
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2005
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:25 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:00:26 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:46:12 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Triumph vs Norton vs BSA (Go the mighty Bonnie!)

>>
>>Shouldn't that be Norton plays the winner
>>Speaking as a Norton owner of course.

>
>Had two Norton Commandos, good bikes in their day.


A man who knows the truth of my claim

>Been salivating at
>a new Triumph Bonneville T100: http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/786.aspx


Nice, pity they never made an 850 in their hayday.

>(one for the OT police)




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bret
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2005
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:52:38 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:00:26 +1200, Bret wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:46:12 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Triumph vs Norton vs BSA (Go the mighty Bonnie!)

>>
>> Shouldn't that be Norton plays the winner Speaking as a Norton owner of
>> course.

>
>Had a mate with a commando, crossing the feilding bridge the f*cking thing
>caught fire underneath him, had to wait till he got across the bridge
>before he could drop it


LOL, must have had an oil leak or a petrol leak.

>Mind you, the old back straight at manfeild was just a bit long for the
>bonnies at 6500 rpm


Hand grenaded mine once, leg out of bed.

>er.. Beer ( back OT




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D’Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bling-Bling wrote:
>>>I see the future being great more stable, secure and user-friendly
>>>software, something both Microsoft and Linux camps should strive for.

>
>> True.
>> I also see the future having open file formats and open protocols, and
>> open source.
>> I see no place for proprietary file formats.

>
>as long as the formats and protocols are open, I don't care about the
>source.


If the source isn't open, how can you be sure the formats and protocols
are?
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:52:38 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:00:26 +1200, Bret wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:46:12 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Triumph vs Norton vs BSA (Go the mighty Bonnie!)

>>
>> Shouldn't that be Norton plays the winner Speaking as a Norton owner of
>> course.

>
>Had a mate with a commando, crossing the feilding bridge the f*cking thing
>caught fire underneath him, had to wait till he got across the bridge
>before he could drop it
>Mind you, the old back straight at manfeild was just a bit long for the
>bonnies at 6500 rpm


Never got to ride a Bonnie. I had a '73 Daytona for a short while,
which was a real lemmon. It was in the last days of the factory and
the rumour was that they were building bikes out of previously
rejected parts. I believe it. Mine blew up in under 5000 miles. The
Triumphs had good brakes but the drums on the Nortons were prone to
fading. Nearly went over a cliff because of that once, but the
cornering ability got me out of that. Used to bank at about 50
degrees safely. Got a slide in the wet once but held it, good weight
distribution. A Jap bike would have dumped you on your ear.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:18:49 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:25 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:00:26 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:46:12 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>Triumph vs Norton vs BSA (Go the mighty Bonnie!)
>>>
>>>Shouldn't that be Norton plays the winner
>>>Speaking as a Norton owner of course.

>>
>>Had two Norton Commandos, good bikes in their day.

>
>A man who knows the truth of my claim
>
>>Been salivating at
>>a new Triumph Bonneville T100: http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/786.aspx

>
>Nice, pity they never made an 850 in their hayday.


They had the 750 but people thought the 650 was a better engine.

>>(one for the OT police)

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bret
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:00:30 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:52:38 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:00:26 +1200, Bret wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:46:12 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>Triumph vs Norton vs BSA (Go the mighty Bonnie!)
>>>
>>> Shouldn't that be Norton plays the winner Speaking as a Norton owner of
>>> course.

>>
>>Had a mate with a commando, crossing the feilding bridge the f*cking thing
>>caught fire underneath him, had to wait till he got across the bridge
>>before he could drop it
>>Mind you, the old back straight at manfeild was just a bit long for the
>>bonnies at 6500 rpm

>
>Never got to ride a Bonnie. I had a '73 Daytona for a short while,
>which was a real lemmon. It was in the last days of the factory and
>the rumour was that they were building bikes out of previously
>rejected parts. I believe it. Mine blew up in under 5000 miles. The
>Triumphs had good brakes but the drums on the Nortons were prone to
>fading. Nearly went over a cliff because of that once, but the
>cornering ability got me out of that. Used to bank at about 50
>degrees safely. Got a slide in the wet once but held it, good weight
>distribution. A Jap bike would have dumped you on your ear.


Similar experiences on a Norton,(except for the brake fade) they
really do handle
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 20:03:30 +1200, GraB wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:18:49 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:34:25 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 12:00:26 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>>On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 07:46:12 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
>>>>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>Triumph vs Norton vs BSA (Go the mighty Bonnie!)
>>>>
>>>>Shouldn't that be Norton plays the winner Speaking as a Norton owner
>>>>of course.
>>>
>>>Had two Norton Commandos, good bikes in their day.

>>
>>A man who knows the truth of my claim
>>
>>>Been salivating at
>>>a new Triumph Bonneville T100: http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/786.aspx

>>
>>Nice, pity they never made an 850 in their hayday.

>
> They had the 750 but people thought the 650 was a better engine.
>
>>>(one for the OT police)

>>
>>
>>


wasnt the t140v only made because the yanks wanted more cc?

--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Jennings
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 22:05:50 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

>
> That's alright. I used to use Windoze 3.1, and before that MS-DOS.
>
> But no more - Micro$oft is history.
>
> The future is Open!
>
>
> Bling Bling



Windows cant be that bad then, considering that you used a 32-16 bit
hybrid for 14 odd years ...


J ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave - Dave.net.nz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:
>>>>I see the future being great more stable, secure and user-friendly
>>>>software, something both Microsoft and Linux camps should strive for.


>>>True.
>>>I also see the future having open file formats and open protocols, and
>>>open source.
>>>I see no place for proprietary file formats.


>>as long as the formats and protocols are open, I don't care about the
>>source.


> If the source isn't open, how can you be sure the formats and protocols
> are?


I don't know enough about the subject to comment on it, but I'd imagine
that protocols and file formats can be checked for open-ness by peer
review, like I said, not sure.

I guess there could be some sort of testing for this sort of thing, make
a benchmark application for "open-ness", if it can't read/display the
file correctly, then it is deemed to be not open?

again, not sure, but it should be possible shouldn't it?

--
http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Waylon Kenning
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-14-2005
T'was the Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:36:12 +1200 when I remembered
Bling-Bling <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>> I see the future being great more stable, secure and user-friendly
>> software, something both Microsoft and Linux camps should strive for.

>
>True.
>
>I also see the future having open file formats and open protocols, and
>open source.
>
>I see no place for proprietary file formats.


I do. If companies want to do that, then so be it. If customers
support companies that do that, then that's what the market wants.

Then again, some big players have stated they want open formats, like
the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3547966 who have
stated they'll only accept OpenDocument and PDF, which means they're
dropping Microsoft Office because of a lack of support for
OpenDocument. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
active desktop winXP64 Windows 64bit 1 10-20-2005 06:20 PM
I420 codec does not work on WinxP64 =?Utf-8?B?UGFtZWxh?= Windows 64bit 12 07-29-2005 11:58 AM
java for winxp64 Michael Zerr Windows 64bit 4 07-27-2005 06:25 PM
64bit driver for adaptec scsi card (winxp64) Kamil Kieca Windows 64bit 7 06-14-2005 06:47 PM
Winxp64 Expire Date Sam Kissel Windows 64bit 5 06-03-2005 01:59 AM



Advertisments