Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Fact and Fiction in nz.comp

Fact and Fiction in nz.comp

H.O.G

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:02:15 +1200, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>You think they'd teach this stuff to their Gold Star uber-achievers huh? I
>guess that's why those Gold Stars are only valid for six months from date of
>issue. AMD says it's because the technology changes quickly they don't
>certify people as Gold Standard for more than six months at a stretch.

**** off, Stevens. You really aren't that funny.

Bret

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:17:32 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:09:46 GMT, madmacca <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
>these fine words:
>
>>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:11:03 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:55:57 +1200, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> spoke these fine words:

>>> True, but is that needed?
>>>
>>> If someone says "jump in this water", and there is a shark in the
>>> water, and that person had reason to expect there to be a shark in the
>>> water, could that person be sued, whether or not there is a
>>> "contractual professional relationship"?

>>Are you for real or what.??? My first impression of your original post was "what a pompous dick". Your
>>consequent posts do nothing to change that opinion.
>>Macca
>>

>Hey Macca: Get ****ed.
>
>I wasn't saying that this was right or wrong - was just discussing it
>as a theoretical possibility.

Have you reread that thread yet?

~misfit~

H.O.G wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:02:15 +1200, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:
>

>> You think they'd teach this stuff to their Gold Star uber-achievers
>> huh? I guess that's why those Gold Stars are only valid for six
>> months from date of issue. AMD says it's because the technology
>> changes quickly they don't certify people as Gold Standard for more
>> than six months at a stretch.

> **** off, Stevens. You really aren't that funny.

That's Stephens to you. (Or was that a typo?) And it wasn't meant to be
funny.

BTW, that's a really good come-back. Must have taxed your brain
considerably.

What happened to killfiling me? Can't work out how to do it?
--
~misfit~

madmacca

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:20:05 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:06:02 GMT, madmacca <(E-Mail Removed)> spoke
> these fine words:

> >> You can, though, if they are giving professional advice, and this
> >> advice turns out to be wrong causing loss.
> >>
> >> The question is, is someone giving flagrantly incorrect advice here
> >> liable? Interesting concept.

> >Define "professional advice"..I thought that such a thing was that given to one for a monetary

stipend..Pretty
> >hard to do in an open forum such as this dont you think..

> Why don't *you* define "professional advice" ?

I just did, re read the last post..
macca

use.the.reply.to.header@this.is.fake

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:24:07 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Probably newgroups users need a QoS rating system so the quality of the
>> posters advice can be ascertained. Although, implementation would be tricky
>> and it could be abused.

>Interesting idea... Wonder if it will ever be done ? Probably not on usenet
>though for legacy reasons...

HP and Microsoft's forums (and Microsoft's newsgroups I believe)
assign a rating of useful of the post. An interesting idea no doubt,
and perhaps an effective spam filter...

FreedomChooser

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 10:22:16 +1200, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>FreedomChooser wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:30:11 +1200, steve
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>USENET began to degrade the moment the non-computer literate folks joined
>>>us all on the Internet.

>> no it was when computer literates started injectng polotics into all
>> their posts

>You must be new around here.
>
>It shows.

standard steve witheres arrogant reply to anyone who challenges his
Pov

Lol
Hail steve withers lord and master of these newgroups
all bow down to him
LOL

FreedomChooser

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:57:27 +1200, "cowboyz" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:aWYNe.59858$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> If someone, presenting themselves as an expert (or at least apparently
>>> being an expert) said that a 100w PSU would be more than enough to
>>> power a P4, and a consequence was it fried taking out the motherboard
>>> and processor, they could possibly take legal action to recover the
>>> costs. Correct?

>> Presenting themselves as an expert how?
>>
>> If you are talking about a random anonymous usenet poster claiming to know
>> more than anyone else then no, you have no possibility of taking legal
>> action.
>>
>> If you get in contact with someone here that claims to be a tech and hire
>> them as a consultant to advise you about a computer purchase, then if
>> their
>> advice turns out to be absolute rubbish you could sue them for the costs
>> incurred by you as a result of their idiotic advice.
>>
>> You could hire me as a consultant and with the expensive stuff I would
>> advise you to use you would have no possibility of having an inadequate
>> PSU
>> frying your M/Board or CPU. I always advise the most expensive option
>> when
>> it is not my money

>It has come down to general society wanting to blame everyone else for
>everything. If you read anything anywhere, let alone on the internet, and
>solely base your decisions on it then it is your decision and you are at
>fault. There is no point in jumping up and down about who your going to sue
>this week. Just like all the trolling posts round here and the ammount of
>law suits that are "going to be filed" for slander.
>

>The general bullshit is coming more and more apparent by many more people
>using this forum. Back in the 80s where the only ones on BBS or Usenet were
>those with a interest in computers. Now it is every tom, dick, harry and
>his dog.

theres actualy sweet fa of the above
very few people know about usenet and use it

Theres a few people around who have egos to defend
These people mostly quite skilled and knowlodgeable
but thier personality politics is more important