Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Fact and Fiction in nz.comp

Fact and Fiction in nz.comp

MarkH

H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> If someone, presenting themselves as an expert (or at least apparently
> being an expert) said that a 100w PSU would be more than enough to
> power a P4, and a consequence was it fried taking out the motherboard
> and processor, they could possibly take legal action to recover the
> costs. Correct?

Presenting themselves as an expert how?

If you are talking about a random anonymous usenet poster claiming to know
more than anyone else then no, you have no possibility of taking legal
action.

If you get in contact with someone here that claims to be a tech and hire
them as a consultant to advise you about a computer purchase, then if their
advice turns out to be absolute rubbish you could sue them for the costs
incurred by you as a result of their idiotic advice.

You could hire me as a consultant and with the expensive stuff I would
advise you to use you would have no possibility of having an inadequate PSU
frying your M/Board or CPU. I always advise the most expensive option when
it is not my money

Squirrel

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:40:10 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:17:02 +1000, Harry <(E-Mail Removed)>
>spoke these fine words:
>
>>H.O.G wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 19:55:57 +1200, Roger_Nickel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> spoke these fine words:

>>> True, but is that needed?
>>>
>>> If someone says "jump in this water", and there is a shark in the
>>> water, and that person had reason to expect there to be a shark in the
>>> water, could that person be sued, whether or not there is a
>>> "contractual professional relationship"?

>>No. If I told you to cut your arm off, and you cut it off, then
>>it would be your fault not mine.
>>

>Yes, but if I didn't know the consequences of cutting it off, and you
>did, or reasonably should have, it's a different matter.
>
>For instance, if you asked someone severely retarded to chop their arm
>off, and they did, you would be in a heap of trouble.

define retarded? Its just I know of a woman, not retarded who cut off
her hand with a chainsaw because someone suggested it to her

Squirrel

Squirrel

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:44:10 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:40:10 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>
>> Yes, but if I didn't know the consequences of cutting it off, and you did,
>> or reasonably should have, it's a different matter.
>>
>> For instance, if you asked someone severely retarded to chop their arm
>> off, and they did, you would be in a heap of trouble.

>But if you told someone that Ladas are the greatest Vehicle on the planet
>and they bought one, whos at fault?

I know a great joke about ladas, but I would et told off here

Squirrel

H.O.G

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:00:53 +1200, Squirrel <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>>>No. If I told you to cut your arm off, and you cut it off, then
>>>it would be your fault not mine.
>>>

>>Yes, but if I didn't know the consequences of cutting it off, and you
>>did, or reasonably should have, it's a different matter.
>>
>>For instance, if you asked someone severely retarded to chop their arm
>>off, and they did, you would be in a heap of trouble.

>define retarded? Its just I know of a woman, not retarded who cut off
>her hand with a chainsaw because someone suggested it to her

Huh? What's the punchline, or is that a true story?

Brendan

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:46:48 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

> There have been 2 such occurances in the last 2 days that I have been
> involved in (someone claiming that Antivir had "the same rate of
> detection as Norton's does according to official testing at independent
> test facilities", which was obviously easily disprovable,

See, this is what ruins this group the most: the likes of you misquoting
people, or just plain LYING, in order to preserve your delicate ego.

--

.... Brendan

#50891 +(4604)- [X]

<Eticam> I was in biology class once, and the teacher said there was sugar
in sperm
<Eticam> And a girl asked why doesn't it taste sweet then
<Eticam> When she realised what she said her face became red like a spanked
monkey ass
<Eticam> Then the teacher said, because you taste sweetness with the front
of your tongue, not the part of your tongue back in your throat
<Eticam> The girl started crying and left class ^^

Note: All my comments are copyright 21/08/2005 10:42:51 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

cowboyz

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aWYNe.59858$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> If someone, presenting themselves as an expert (or at least apparently
>> being an expert) said that a 100w PSU would be more than enough to
>> power a P4, and a consequence was it fried taking out the motherboard
>> and processor, they could possibly take legal action to recover the
>> costs. Correct?

> Presenting themselves as an expert how?
>
> If you are talking about a random anonymous usenet poster claiming to know
> more than anyone else then no, you have no possibility of taking legal
> action.
>
> If you get in contact with someone here that claims to be a tech and hire
> them as a consultant to advise you about a computer purchase, then if
> their
> advice turns out to be absolute rubbish you could sue them for the costs
> incurred by you as a result of their idiotic advice.
>
> You could hire me as a consultant and with the expensive stuff I would
> advise you to use you would have no possibility of having an inadequate
> PSU
> frying your M/Board or CPU. I always advise the most expensive option
> when
> it is not my money

It has come down to general society wanting to blame everyone else for
everything. If you read anything anywhere, let alone on the internet, and
solely base your decisions on it then it is your decision and you are at
fault. There is no point in jumping up and down about who your going to sue
this week. Just like all the trolling posts round here and the ammount of
law suits that are "going to be filed" for slander.

The general bullshit is coming more and more apparent by many more people
using this forum. Back in the 80s where the only ones on BBS or Usenet were
those with a interest in computers. Now it is every tom, dick, harry and
his dog.

FreedomChooser

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:46:48 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>From a small group of people believing that a NZ computing group was
>an appropriate place to discuss international motor racing in depth,
>in many threads, and over a long period of time, to idiots arguing
>incorrect and easily disprovable ascertions ad nauseum, this group is
>slowly turning to custard. There have been 2 such occurances in the
>last 2 days that I have been involved in (someone claiming that
>Antivir had "the same rate of detection as Norton's does according to
>official testing at independent test facilities", which was obviously
>easily disprovable, and someone else saying that you can use any odd
>heatsink and thermal compound on a processor without voiding the
>warranty), and I know there have been a heck of a lot of others that
>I've seen, but haven't bothered to get involved in.

All the above seems to refers to one person only
watch out your not using this group to falame one person

FreedomChooser

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:30:11 +1200, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>H.O.G wrote:
>
>> The first is, is this just a sign of the times? As we all know, the
>> industry is full of cowboys who think they know everything, don't base
>> their recommendations or comments on fact, have a fuzzy understanding
>> of fact and fiction, and lack the experience, qualifications and
>> training that used to be a part of the game. Is this spilling over
>> into Usenet just a further sign of the decline of our profession?

>USENET began to degrade the moment the non-computer literate folks joined us
>all on the Internet.

no it was when computer literates started injectng polotics into all
their posts

H.O.G

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 23:07:07 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:46:48 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>

>> There have been 2 such occurances in the last 2 days that I have been
>> involved in (someone claiming that Antivir had "the same rate of
>> detection as Norton's does according to official testing at independent
>> test facilities", which was obviously easily disprovable,

>See, this is what ruins this group the most: the likes of you misquoting
>people, or just plain LYING, in order to preserve your delicate ego.

Please don't spread your crap to yet another thread.

Not interested.

H.O.G

On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 00:17:26 +1200, FreedomChooser
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:46:48 +1200, H.O.G <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>From a small group of people believing that a NZ computing group was
>>an appropriate place to discuss international motor racing in depth,
>>in many threads, and over a long period of time, to idiots arguing
>>incorrect and easily disprovable ascertions ad nauseum, this group is
>>slowly turning to custard. There have been 2 such occurances in the
>>last 2 days that I have been involved in (someone claiming that
>>Antivir had "the same rate of detection as Norton's does according to
>>official testing at independent test facilities", which was obviously
>>easily disprovable, and someone else saying that you can use any odd
>>heatsink and thermal compound on a processor without voiding the
>>warranty), and I know there have been a heck of a lot of others that
>>I've seen, but haven't bothered to get involved in.

>All the above seems to refers to one person only
>watch out your not using this group to falame one person

Actually, I hadn't made the connection. Just checked out Google Groups
and you are right.

Very interesting indeed.