Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Patent "Reform"

Re: Patent "Reform"

steve

Matthew Poole wrote:

> They've said as much, and it's widely believed that the Aus-US
> FTA is the shape of any future comprehensive trade agreement - that is: IP
> law reform in the shape of the DMCA and extension of copyright to
> death-plus-70; recognition of USPTO-granted rights (but not the reverse);
> demolition of pharmaceutical reference-pricing where it exists; etc ad
> nauseum. Distinctly beneficial for the US, pretty lousy for the other
> party.

Again agreed.

Any FTA rthe US would let us have wouldn't be worth having....in the short
or long terms.

We need to find our own solutions and stop thinking like would-be welfare
rorters hoping to suckle on the US teet.

That teet is ringed with thorns.

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:24:06 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:37:09 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> So you think Labour wouldn't do the same? I'm pretty sure pressure from
>> US corporates with NZ interests, and from US Commission staff would see
>> any party that gets in bow to pressure to accept such a submission...

>Labour told the yanks to keep their nukes away from us. And made it stick.
>They could do the same for patents, if it was made an issue the public were
>informed about.

only if they wer prepared to pay price inactual $costs

FreedomChooser

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 11:13:52 +1200, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> steve wrote:

>>> If you vote for National you can bet your last dollar they will bend
>>> over, spread their cheeks and say "Pretty please" to Mr. Bush and the
>>> other war criminals.

>> So you think Labour wouldn't do the same? I'm pretty sure pressure from
>> US corporates with NZ interests, and from US Commission staff would see
>> any party that gets in bow to pressure to accept such a submission...

>Labour's partners in government wouldn't allow it.
>
>National's (if they can find any) would.
>
>It's conceivable we may see a situation where National is the largest
>party.....but can't get a majority for most of its policies - not without
>major renovations, anyway.
>
>As it should be. If they can't get 50%+ of the vote, they don't deserve to
>get it all their own way.

explain the hypocrysy of this view since it doesnt apply to Labaour
party

Matthew Poole

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 11:03:18 +1200, someone purporting to be
FreedomChooser didst scrawl:

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 00:24:06 +1200, Brendan <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

*SNIP*
>>Labour told the yanks to keep their nukes away from us. And made it stick.
>>They could do the same for patents, if it was made an issue the public were
>>informed about.

> only if they wer prepared to pay price inactual $costs

Huh? Not only is your spelling terrible, that post is utterly
incomprehensible. What are you trying to say? That Labour would have to
pay for the lost opportunity costs associated with denying IP law reforms
to bring us into line with the US? What costs would those be? The ones
that would see pharmaceutical prices bloat dramatically for the NZ
healthcare consumer? How about the ones that would see ridiculous US
patents recognised here, to the detriment of our economy?
Were those the type of costs you were thinking of?

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."