Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > firewall

firewall

Andrew

I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate

- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software

Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
every week

Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace

best reccomendations?

the ones that spring to mind are:
zone alam
kerio
sygate

Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
option for this case..

im open to suggestions

system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
the machine

Thanks in advance
Andrew

GraB

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
>one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>
>- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>
>Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
>every week
>
>Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>
>best reccomendations?
>
>the ones that spring to mind are:
>zone alam
>kerio
>sygate
>
>Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
>option for this case..
>
>im open to suggestions
>
>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
>the machine
>
>Thanks in advance
>Andrew

I have had no problem with ZoneAlarm. You just have to do a clean
install whenever you update it.

Nathan Mercer

Andrew wrote:
> I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
> one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>
> - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>
> Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
> every week
>
> Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>
> best reccomendations?
>
> the ones that spring to mind are:
> zone alam
> kerio
> sygate
>
> Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
> option for this case..
>
> im open to suggestions
>
> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
> the machine

XP SP1 already has the Internet Connection Firewall built in - goto the
adapter in the network connections control panel and turn it on.

If you have XP SP2 the Windows Firewall is already enabled by default

Cheers
Nathan

wogers nemesis

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew wrote:

> I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
> one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>
> - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>
> Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
> every week
>
> Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>
> best reccomendations?
>
> the ones that spring to mind are:
> zone alam
> kerio
> sygate
>
> Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
> option for this case..
>
> im open to suggestions
>
> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
> the machine
>
> Thanks in advance
> Andrew

The built-in firewall for XP2 is probably the best one to avoid the calls,
since it only "bugs" you about incoming connections. Others have a habit
of presenting a whole series of popup windows where the newbie will just
start clicking accept madly.

shannon

Andrew wrote:

> I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
> one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>
> - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>
> Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
> every week
>
> Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>
> best reccomendations?
>
> the ones that spring to mind are:
> zone alam
> kerio
> sygate
>
> Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
> option for this case..
>
> im open to suggestions
>
> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
> the machine
>
> Thanks in advance
> Andrew

Just upgrade to SP2, then you get a simple to use firewall with
automatic updates

Andrew

shannon wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for
>> this one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>>
>> - looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>>
>> Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
>> every week
>>
>> Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>>
>> best reccomendations?
>>
>> the ones that spring to mind are:
>> zone alam
>> kerio
>> sygate
>>
>> Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
>> option for this case..
>>
>> im open to suggestions
>>
>> system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
>> the machine
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Andrew

> Just upgrade to SP2, then you get a simple to use firewall with
> automatic updates

I think this could be the best plan, if its not sp2 then i will update
it, and if it is i will be sure that it is on

Software

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:48:35 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
>>one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>>
>>- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>>
>>Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
>>every week
>>
>>Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>>
>>best reccomendations?
>>
>>the ones that spring to mind are:
>>zone alam
>>kerio
>>sygate
>>
>>Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
>>option for this case..
>>
>>im open to suggestions
>>
>>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
>>the machine
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>Andrew

>I have had no problem with ZoneAlarm. You just have to do a clean
>install whenever you update it.

Slows the System down a lot and can cause problems, I dopped long ago..

akiwi

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew wrote:

>I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
>one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>
>- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>
>Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
>every week
>
>Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>
>best reccomendations?

Trend micro internet security is fairly nice and straightforward and its
firewall is better than XP but it's not free. Make sure you turn off
all the "alerting" options if you don't want a popup window every time
it detects an "internet attack" etc - which is pretty often ...

akiwi

Nathan Mercer

wogers nemesis wrote:
>>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
>>the machine
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>Andrew

> The built-in firewall for XP2 is probably the best one to avoid the calls,
> since it only "bugs" you about incoming connections. Others have a habit

To be clear. The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 "bugs" you when an
application tries to open a port to allow inbound connections, not
everytime an incoming connection happens.

In Windows Vista there will be both inbound and outbound protection
through the Windows Firewall.

> of presenting a whole series of popup windows where the newbie will just
> start clicking accept madly.

GraB

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:39:20 +1200, Software
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:48:35 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:00:23 +1200, Andrew
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>I know there has been a few threads about this, The difference for this
>>>one is its intended for a user who is reasonably computer illiterate
>>>
>>>- looking for a simple to use, preferably free firewall software
>>>
>>>Somthing that wont cause problems and then have me getting phoned up
>>>every week
>>>
>>>Something that i can just install and it will do its business in peace
>>>
>>>best reccomendations?
>>>
>>>the ones that spring to mind are:
>>>zone alam
>>>kerio
>>>sygate
>>>
>>>Im not overly keen on zonealarm myslelf, But it could well be the best
>>>option for this case..
>>>
>>>im open to suggestions
>>>
>>>system is winxp home, i know it has SP1 unsure about SP2 untill i see
>>>the machine
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance
>>>Andrew

>>I have had no problem with ZoneAlarm. You just have to do a clean
>>install whenever you update it.

>Slows the System down a lot and can cause problems, I dopped long ago..

I have been running ZoneAlarm, usually the latest avaible version, on
Win98SE, on K6-2/550, Duron 1100 and now Athlon XP2400+ and have never
noticed a slowdown. I have noticed a slowdown when using Norton AV
and would guess you would get a slowdown when using that with the
Security Suite. There was only one problem that I can remember and
that was in relation to Agent decoding yEnc binary attachments on
newsgroups, a version of ZoneAlarm cause a corruption of the headers.
That was fixed in the next version and I have had no problem since.