Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Hacked???

Hacked???

Squirrel

Good reason to believe I have been hacked by someone we all know so
very well, any way to indulge my paranoia I installed a firewall, and
just wondered, if I get a big security breach, does this mean it could
possibly be a hacker, and does the ISP address potentially lead you to
finding out who it is??

Also, cannot get latest MSN (7 Ithink) to work with it up, Version 4
point something will run, and does the deed, but I would prefer the
other, any ideas?

Squirrel

Brendan

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:52:02 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

>>You must have had one allready, XP?
>>

> Forgot to say, might just flag the freebies and get the latest Norton
> which has a good firewall I am told

No it is not. Norton's has become bloated and buggy. It will slow your
computer down and cause you a lot of trouble. Any norton's.

The built in xp firewall is sufficient for most people.

The Ip address you gave referrs to your LAN card, and is not any use.

What makes you think you are hacked ?

It is more likely you have spyware bot's running on your system. Try
scanning for them with both ad-aware (lavasoft) and Spybot Search and
destroy. Be aware there are a lot of simularly named programs out there,
all of them are scams. The real deals are free and will kill most spyware.

Do two scans each, one after you re-boot the machine. Any that re-appear
will need special attention.

Use www.free-av.com for an anti virus.

--

.... Brendan

#104052 +(6651)- [X]

<NES> lol
<NES> I download something from Napster
<NES> And the same guy I downloaded it from starts downloading it from me
when I'm done
<NES> I message him and say "What are you doing? I just got that from you"
<NES> "getting my song back ****er"

Note: All my comments are copyright 20/08/2005 1:39:43 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Enkidu

Brendan wrote:

> No it is not. Norton's has become bloated and buggy.
> It will slow your computer down and cause you a lot
> of trouble. Any norton's.

Well, my experience is different. I've run the Corporate
Edition on 100s of PCs with no problems for years.

It's the one I keep coming back to when the others fail, one
way or another. I've tried free ones, paid for ones, and I
keep coming back to Norton AV.

Cheers,

Cliff

EMB

Enkidu wrote:

> Well, my experience is different. I've run the Corporate Edition on 100s
> of PCs with no problems for years.
>
> It's the one I keep coming back to when the others fail, one way or
> another. I've tried free ones, paid for ones, and I keep coming back to
> Norton AV.

Seconded. I look after about 150 PCs running Norton/Symantec Orporate
AV and there never seem to be any issues either with antivirus
performance or system resources.

--
EMB

Bling-Bling

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:52:02 +1200, Squirrel wrote:

>>> any way to indulge my paranoia I installed a firewall,

>>You must have had one allready, XP?
>>

> Forgot to say, might just flag the freebies and get the latest Norton
> which has a good firewall I am told

On Micro$oft boxes all you need is to install the Zonealarm firewall. It
is very good indeed.

Bling Bling

--
Fink: "The Linux market is growing 30% to 35% a year."

Bret

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:20:48 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>You must have had one allready, XP?
>>>

>> Forgot to say, might just flag the freebies and get the latest Norton
>> which has a good firewall I am told

>On Micro$oft boxes all you need is to install the Zonealarm firewall. It
>is very good indeed.
>

>Bling Bling

Idiot

Squirrel

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:23:40 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:51:03 +1200, Squirrel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:03:22 +1200, Bret <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>No idea who you are referring to.

>>Been here long?

>Longer than you have Squirel

And you have no idea?

>>>You must have had one allready, XP?

>>I was told it was crap

>>>Have you got an IP address?

>>Name Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC -
>>Packet Scheduler Miniport
>>Zone Internet
>>Entry Type Adapter Subnet
>>IP Address / Site 10.1.1.3/255.0.0.0
>>
>>I have no idea what any of it means
>>
>>Squirrel

>Not of any use.
>What actually happened?

Just popped up at 8.05 as serious security breach not from trusted,
but from Internet

Squirrel

Squirrel

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:48:30 +1200, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Well, my experience is different. I've run the Corporate Edition on 100s
>> of PCs with no problems for years.
>>
>> It's the one I keep coming back to when the others fail, one way or
>> another. I've tried free ones, paid for ones, and I keep coming back to
>> Norton AV.
>>

>Seconded. I look after about 150 PCs running Norton/Symantec Orporate
>AV and there never seem to be any issues either with antivirus
>performance or system resources.

Thirded, used hosts of others, always come back to Norton

Squirrel

H.O.G

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:20:48 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>>>You must have had one allready, XP?
>>>

>> Forgot to say, might just flag the freebies and get the latest Norton
>> which has a good firewall I am told

>On Micro$oft boxes all you need is to install the Zonealarm firewall. It
>is very good indeed.
>

>Bling Bling

Maybe in Blingland.

Not in the real world.

Brendan

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:20:48 +1200, Bling-Bling wrote:

>> Forgot to say, might just flag the freebies and get the latest Norton
>> which has a good firewall I am told

> On Micro$oft boxes all you need is to install the Zonealarm firewall. It
> is very good indeed.

Squirrel, do not install zone alarm. It is trouble.

There are plenty of other, better ones. For free.

--

.... Brendan

#287414 +(10542)- [X]

<DeadMansHand> haha, last night, me and pete went out to celebrate his
engagement and got hugely drunk
<DeadMansHand> we got this great idea to bury eachother in the sand close
to the water and see who would chicken out first
<DeadMansHand> took about a half hour, but the water got up to my face so i
freaked and got out
<DeadMansHand> i looked around for pete and he must've chickened out before
me and stumbled home or something heh
<DeadMansHand> What'd he say when he woke up this morning?
<Thirteen-> uhh.. he hasn't come home yet.. i thought he was staying with
you?
<DeadMansHand> holy ****.
<DeadMansHand> i ****ing hope im wrong about what im thinking right now
<DeadMansHand> im ****ing going back to the beach to make sure
<DeadMansHand> if he gets home, call me, i don't want to be worrying about
this
<Thirteen-> will do. you better hope he's not still buried, you'll be in
deep ****.
quit: (DeadMansHand)
<Tyran> wtf? pete came home last night you ****. Ken's going to be worrying
about this **** all day
<Thirteen-> haha yea, but it will be fun while it lasts
join: (PeteRepeat) (bob@3F8C4655.11D1C8C.18637D35.IP)
<PeteRepeat> ****ing ken
<PeteRepeat> ken... that ****er buried me in the sand last night, i ran off
about 5 minutes to it, left him there to be an idiot
<quiqsilver> pete, ken didn't come back last night, i thought he was with
you.
<PeteRepeat> oh ****.
<PeteRepeat> if ken shows up, make sure he doesn't know that im at the
beach digging for his body. i don't want him to think i care or anything.
quit: (PeteRepeat)
<Thirteen-> rofl. Those 2 are going to get a huge surprise when they meet
at the beach.
<Tyran> i can't beleive how perfect their timing was

Note: All my comments are copyright 20/08/2005 7:36:00 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.