Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TelstraClear new digital cable TV service...

TelstraClear new digital cable TV service...

Richard

Tony wrote:

>>I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
>>of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.

> But you need four Decoders to do that..
>
> I never ever use RF when I can avoid it, the RF Modulator are far to crappy.

Thats true if they are 4 different programs being recieved and decoded, but you
can be watching DVDs or VHS or perhaps even something on your PVR which wont
require more decoders.

I find the quality on the 20 year old 14" in the garage perfectlty adiquite, and
the cheap cmos camera I have for the driveway delievers more noise and less
resolution then any modulator would deliver so its a non issue there too.

Harry

Tony wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:57:37 +1200, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Spam
> Blackhole) wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>Do not use the RF use the AV..

>>Clueless as usual, Roger. You obviously didn't read what I wrote.
>>Maybe the words were too long for you, so I'll make it simpler:

> But I am not clue less may be it was the poster, it not that easy to read
> you mind via Usenet.
>
>>I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
>>of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.

> But you need four Decoders to do that..
>
> I never ever use RF when I can avoid it, the RF Modulator are far to
> crappy.

What would you use to distribute four or more video/audio sources to
several rooms? RF distribution systems are what most TV stations use
for monitoring. Otherwise you need to run 8 coaxs per room to/from
a central distribution point - plus you'd probably need vda's to
drive them all as well. By comparison RF needs two coaxes per room
plus modulators.

Harry

Spam Blackhole wrote:

> In article <43042bf7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>>
>>Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to
>>overcome the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall
>>correclty, doesnt take too many carriers till its out of the linear range
>>and making all sorts of splatter everywhere.

> I tried it the simple way first (all daisy chained). I was prepared to add
> in-line attenuators if I ran into overloading but it worked fine with no
> herringbone or ghosting etc. It's been working like that for years now.
> It goes: Cable box VHF 3 --> Cable box UHF 64 --> VCR UHF 36 -->
> VCR VHF 2 --> splitter and cables to 2 TVs elsewhere in the house.

Best way is to wire two RG6s per room via F-plugs to central patch panel.
The patch panel is easily made consisting of box with parallel rows
of F-sockets. You also need short coax jumpers.
Wire satellite dish(s) and TV antenna to patch panel.

At patch panel can patch satellite to decoder. Decoder modulator output
goes via other coax to patch panel. Then any of the sources at patch panel
can be split to any other location. Just remember to use F-plug terminators
on all outlets not in use.

Any other video sources need UHF modulator. These are cheapish but can
vary considerably in quality.

Watch the satellite connection - it needs to be DC pass-through to only
one decoder.

Richard

Harry wrote:

> Best way is to wire two RG6s per room via F-plugs to central patch panel.
> The patch panel is easily made consisting of box with parallel rows
> of F-sockets. You also need short coax jumpers.
> Wire satellite dish(s) and TV antenna to patch panel.
>
> At patch panel can patch satellite to decoder. Decoder modulator output
> goes via other coax to patch panel. Then any of the sources at patch panel
> can be split to any other location. Just remember to use F-plug terminators
> on all outlets not in use.
>
> Any other video sources need UHF modulator. These are cheapish but can
> vary considerably in quality.
>
> Watch the satellite connection - it needs to be DC pass-through to only
> one decoder.

Yeah, and that crap passes as a whole house video solution among the
"professionals" - I laughted when at a home show one year some crowd was selling
a $700 panel to do that, the best thing was, it had provision for 8 cat5 runs
for phone and data, but they split the one cable so it would only do 100meg, and
they supplied a _hub_ in the box claiming that a home has no need for a switch
or gigabit.

To me whole house video would be DVI over cat5 minimum

Tony

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 23:00:34 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>>>I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
>>>of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.

>> But you need four Decoders to do that..
>>
>> I never ever use RF when I can avoid it, the RF Modulator are far to crappy.

>Thats true if they are 4 different programs being recieved and decoded, but you
>can be watching DVDs or VHS or perhaps even something on your PVR which wont
>require more decoders.
>
>I find the quality on the 20 year old 14" in the garage perfectlty adiquite, and
>the cheap cmos camera I have for the driveway delievers more noise and less
>resolution then any modulator would deliver so its a non issue there too.

What might interest some there is a New MoBo with a Digtal TV tuner fitted
and a WiFi..

I will try and find the URL..

Harry

Richard wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>
>> Best way is to wire two RG6s per room via F-plugs to central patch panel.
>> The patch panel is easily made consisting of box with parallel rows
>> of F-sockets. You also need short coax jumpers.
>> Wire satellite dish(s) and TV antenna to patch panel.
>>
>> At patch panel can patch satellite to decoder. Decoder modulator output
>> goes via other coax to patch panel. Then any of the sources at patch
>> panel
>> can be split to any other location. Just remember to use F-plug
>> terminators on all outlets not in use.
>>
>> Any other video sources need UHF modulator. These are cheapish but can
>> vary considerably in quality.
>>
>> Watch the satellite connection - it needs to be DC pass-through to only
>> one decoder.

> Yeah, and that crap passes as a whole house video solution among the
> "professionals" - I laughted when at a home show one year some crowd was
> selling a $700 panel to do that, the best thing was, it had provision for
> 8 cat5 runs for phone and data, but they split the one cable so it would
> only do 100meg, and they supplied a _hub_ in the box claiming that a home
> has no need for a switch or gigabit.

Most so-called hubs (even $50 ones) these days are actually switches anyhow.
I haven't seen a simple hub for a few years now.

> To me whole house video would be DVI over cat5 minimum

Great if everything is DVI.

nospam

"ChrisOD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <SRxMe.97887$(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam wrote:
>> A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
>> mailout in the last week...
>>
>> Even at the steep $199 price tag to upgrade from analog service to
>> digital
>> tv, plus $5 extra per month, I decided to upgrade.
>>
>> They came out today to do my upgarde. I briefly saw it going, but
>> cancelled
>> the upgrade mid way through. My primary reason for wanting to upgrade was
>> so
>> that I could get better options for connecting to my plasma TV, which
>> really
>> shows some of the short comings of composite video.
>>
>> Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and I'd
>> still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy composite
>> cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if I was really
>> lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt even have
>> s-video.
>> Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy left/right RCA audio. No
>> component video, so no progressive scan, no hope of HDTV in the future
>> etc....
>>
>> It was a pretty cheap looking two-tone silver black decoder with
>> 'telstraclear' label on the front. I think the decoders had a brand name
>> of
>> 'ADC'. They also carried DVB logo (so it'll be DVB-C), and when the tech
>> was
>> setting it up, the menus showed it as having an embedded Irdeto CAM. It
>> had
>> a smartcard sticking out the front.
>>
>> Aswell as the digital cable box, they also installed a Motorola
>> Surf-Board
>> cable modem so that the device could talk back to home base for buying
>> Pay
>> Per View etc. He mentioned that they're hoping to get newer decoders
>> which
>> have the modem option integrated. Their info booklet listed MHG for
>> digital
>> text features (like 'red' button services in the UK), but I didnt try
>> this
>> so I'm not actually sure they're
>> transmitting this.
>>
>> All in all, I was looking forward to their digital TV offering. Instead
>> I'm
>> left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch some more useful
>> digital stuff later this year.
>>

> Or you could use PVR software like GBPVR or MythTV or....
> and buy these
> DVB-C PCI Card
> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=300
> CI-CAM slot for above
> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=302
> and and Irdeto CI-CAM
> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=271
>
> Well it is nz.comp

Ah, nope... as the author of GB-PVR, I'm pretty confident you couldnt use
GB-PVR for viewing the new TelstraClear digital tv transmissions. Even if it
could work in this type of setup, I'd be missing the ever important
TelstraClear smartcard to plug into the Irdeto CAM.

nospam

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4304b954$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> I'm
>>> left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch some more useful
>>> digital stuff later this year.
>>>

>> Or you could use PVR software like GBPVR or MythTV or....
>> and buy these
>> DVB-C PCI Card
>> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=300
>> CI-CAM slot for above
>> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=302
>> and and Irdeto CI-CAM
>> http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=271
>>
>> Well it is nz.comp

> Ah, nope... as the author of GB-PVR, I'm pretty confident you couldnt use
> GB-PVR for viewing the new TelstraClear digital tv transmissions. Even if
> it could work in this type of setup, I'd be missing the ever important
> TelstraClear smartcard to plug into the Irdeto CAM.

I forgot to mention - thanks for the recommendation. It always nice to see
someone suggesting GB-PVR!

nospam

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZiVMe.3713$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4303ee1a$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Me again...
>>
>> I could hear the operator glazing-over when I tried to explain why I
>> wanted to cancel my digital tv upgrade, but I would really like to send
>> them a feedback email to let them know my thoughts and recommendations on
>> how to improve their digital tv service offering. I cant seem to seem to
>> find a telstraclear email address. Does any one know one? I tried
>> (E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed) but both bounced.
>> Their 'contact us' didnt seem to have anywhere to leave feedback or any
>> email addresses.
>>
>> "snip

> try this one (E-Mail Removed)
> PeeCee

That got to them.

Thanks.

Spam Blackhole

In article <43046333$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Here I tried VCR on UHF 40, another one on UHF 44, and then 2 adgile modulators
>on 50 and 54 (memorys hazy now) - and it was pretty bad, and the VHF that was
>run thru the lot ended up coming in way too hot. VCRs are a pain in that they
>need an in as well as an out so they cant be split and recombined (tried it,
>didnt work well)

At least modern VCRs have done away with the TV/VCR button, simply mixing
the VCR modulator into the "through" signal.

>Now I have eliminated the VCRs I have a couple of FTA sat boxes on the 40's and
>the modulators are on the 30's (seem to be stronger by a few dB at the lower
>end) - all them into a backwards 8 way splitter along with the output that came
>from the skybox in the lounge, that into a diplexer with the VHF and FM, and
>that into the distribution amp. few attenuators in there to match things up and
>its great.

I was afraid I'd have to go to that trouble, but I didn't. Good thing too, I
pretty much had to go with RF and accept the picture quality hit in order to
get the NICAM sound (Saturn cable boxes don't have stereo.) Come to think of
it, that'll be one of the questions I'll need answered before going for
their new digital service - the sound had better be stereo.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"