Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > TelstraClear new digital cable TV service...

TelstraClear new digital cable TV service...

thing2

Stevesub wrote:
> Here in OZ, we still have analogue Foxtel (read Telstra). They are trying to
> get everyone onto Digital and do have some interesting digital only
> channels. However when I have seen Foxtel Digital, they are still showing
> the same crap quality programs in general that look bad even on the analogue
> system. They do not seem to have much in the way of programming that ends up
> looking better on digital.
>
> Really, I think they want to make more $ from Pay to View which is easier to
> do from your digital remote and sell you the extra channels that only
> digital has.
>
> Stevesub
> "thing2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

When I enquired recently about getting Cable my only practical option
was a 1 year contract, but the sales woman enthused that "it was so good
and I would be so happy with it that 1 year would not be a problem". My
answer was if its so good put your money where your mouth is and let me
try it for a month to see......She declined....

Someone should tell the idiots over there that punters are not that
stupid to fall for such gormless lines......

try getting real....

regards

Thing

Craig Sutton

news:4303be8c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spam Blackhole wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what channel the Sky digital decoder RF output is on? I
> > currently have 2 cable decoders and 2 VCRs daisy-chained together

feeding
> > two TVs elsewhere in the house. Having the Sky decoder putting out RF on

the
> > same channel as one of the other boxes would be annoying, I'd have to go

> > a separate modulator for it.

> Its flexable, but be aware that chainging them like that will make a hell

of a
> lot of cross modulation, hook them all into a backwards splitter. I had to

do
> that here with modulators for the cameras and the sat receivers.

Should be fine as long as you space the channels 4 channels apart. Mind you
Sky decoder modulator output are not all that clean.

PC

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4303ee1a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Me again...
>
> I could hear the operator glazing-over when I tried to explain why I
> wanted to cancel my digital tv upgrade, but I would really like to send
> them a feedback email to let them know my thoughts and recommendations on
> how to improve their digital tv service offering. I cant seem to seem to
> find a telstraclear email address. Does any one know one? I tried
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) and (E-Mail Removed) but both bounced.
> Their 'contact us' didnt seem to have anywhere to leave feedback or any
> email addresses.
>
> "snip

try this one (E-Mail Removed)
PeeCee

Richard

Craig Sutton wrote:

> Should be fine as long as you space the channels 4 channels apart. Mind you
> Sky decoder modulator output are not all that clean.

Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to overcome
the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall correclty, doesnt
take too many carriers till its out of the linear range and making all sorts of
splatter everywhere.

ChrisOD

In article <SRxMe.97887$(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam wrote:
> A bit of info for those that received the TelstraClear digital cable TV
> mailout in the last week...
>
> Even at the steep $199 price tag to upgrade from analog service to digital
> tv, plus $5 extra per month, I decided to upgrade.
>
> They came out today to do my upgarde. I briefly saw it going, but cancelled
> the upgrade mid way through. My primary reason for wanting to upgrade was so
> that I could get better options for connecting to my plasma TV, which really
> shows some of the short comings of composite video.
>
> Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and I'd
> still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy composite
> cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if I was really
> lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt even have s-video.
> Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy left/right RCA audio. No
> component video, so no progressive scan, no hope of HDTV in the future
> etc....
>
> It was a pretty cheap looking two-tone silver black decoder with
> 'telstraclear' label on the front. I think the decoders had a brand name of
> 'ADC'. They also carried DVB logo (so it'll be DVB-C), and when the tech was
> setting it up, the menus showed it as having an embedded Irdeto CAM. It had
> a smartcard sticking out the front.
>
> Aswell as the digital cable box, they also installed a Motorola Surf-Board
> cable modem so that the device could talk back to home base for buying Pay
> Per View etc. He mentioned that they're hoping to get newer decoders which
> have the modem option integrated. Their info booklet listed MHG for digital
> text features (like 'red' button services in the UK), but I didnt try this
> so I'm not actually sure they're
> transmitting this.
>
> All in all, I was looking forward to their digital TV offering. Instead I'm
> left feeling disappointed...Hopefully TVNZ will launch some more useful
> digital stuff later this year.

Or you could use PVR software like GBPVR or MythTV or....
and buy these
DVB-C PCI Card
http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=300
CI-CAM slot for above
http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=302
and and Irdeto CI-CAM
http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info....roducts_id=271

Well it is nz.comp

Spam Blackhole

In article <43042bf7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to overcome
>the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall correclty, doesnt
>take too many carriers till its out of the linear range and making all sorts of
>splatter everywhere.

I tried it the simple way first (all daisy chained). I was prepared to add
in-line attenuators if I ran into overloading but it worked fine with no
herringbone or ghosting etc. It's been working like that for years now.
It goes: Cable box VHF 3 --> Cable box UHF 64 --> VCR UHF 36 -->
VCR VHF 2 --> splitter and cables to 2 TVs elsewhere in the house.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Spam Blackhole

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Do not use the RF use the AV..

Clueless as usual, Roger. You obviously didn't read what I wrote.
Maybe the words were too long for you, so I'll make it simpler:

I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.
These are family room and bedroom TV sets, the main setup in the lounge
of course uses AV inputs (it has to, it's actually a Barco industrial
monitor.)

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

Dave Taylor

"nospam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:SRxMe.97887$(E-Mail Removed):

> Unfortunately they've bought really cheap ass digital decoders, and
> I'd still only have the option of connecting to my TV using crappy
> composite cable. I had really hoped for component video, or RGB, or if
> I was really lucky something like DVI or VGA. Instead, this box didnt
> even have s-video. Also no digital audio or 5.1 sound - just crappy
> left/right RCA audio. No component video, so no progressive scan, no
> hope of HDTV in the future etc....

This was in 1998.
When Vancouver BC rolled out Digital with Rogers Cable Systems it was
leaps and bounds over what had been available. Existing cable
infrastructure had to be upgraded to handle the signal bandwidth, and the
decoders were Scientific Atlanta boxes with a preview of what you were
watching in the top quarter of your screen, and when you browsed the
channel menu you could still hear and watch your show.
Shaw Cable bought the infrastructure, replaced the SA box with a cheap
Motorola that took away my browsing feature, MUTED the SOUND when
browsing, and just generally was terrible if you had the SA box before.
New customers has no baseline, so had no idea, and were happy.

Basically the current TC cable box sound like it is almost identical to
what I was given after the Shaw Cable buy out in Vancouver.
I called Shaw cable about the change out feature loss, told them why I
was upset, and they said they had that complaint quite a lot from pre
conversion customers.
The picture was sharp and clean on the channels. Fuzz gives way to
pixelation, but the box logs this and you can have the support people
check the signal levels and fix it with a truck roll.

It is now, 2005, and Digital is arriving to New Zealand. I thought NZ
was the high tech showcase, ( Eftpos) ( Modems per capita)
They are using non PVR boxes? I want a PVR for that money!

New Zealand's Cable plant is new, not full of water and corroded
connectors; push that cable plant infrastructure to the max and exploit
its' clean end to end signal.
IMHO

--
Ciao, Dave

Richard

Spam Blackhole wrote:
> In article <43042bf7$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Problem is the lousey amplifier that all those RF mod's have in them to overcome
>>the losses of them being inserted, about 3-4dB if I recall correclty, doesnt
>>take too many carriers till its out of the linear range and making all sorts of
>>splatter everywhere.

> I tried it the simple way first (all daisy chained). I was prepared to add
> in-line attenuators if I ran into overloading but it worked fine with no
> herringbone or ghosting etc. It's been working like that for years now.
> It goes: Cable box VHF 3 --> Cable box UHF 64 --> VCR UHF 36 -->
> VCR VHF 2 --> splitter and cables to 2 TVs elsewhere in the house.

Here I tried VCR on UHF 40, another one on UHF 44, and then 2 adgile modulators
on 50 and 54 (memorys hazy now) - and it was pretty bad, and the VHF that was
run thru the lot ended up coming in way too hot. VCRs are a pain in that they
need an in as well as an out so they cant be split and recombined (tried it,
didnt work well)

Now I have eliminated the VCRs I have a couple of FTA sat boxes on the 40's and
the modulators are on the 30's (seem to be stronger by a few dB at the lower
end) - all them into a backwards 8 way splitter along with the output that came
from the skybox in the lounge, that into a diplexer with the VHF and FM, and
that into the distribution amp. few attenuators in there to match things up and
its great.

Tony

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:57:37 +1200, (E-Mail Removed) (Spam
Blackhole) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>Tony <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Do not use the RF use the AV..

>Clueless as usual, Roger. You obviously didn't read what I wrote.
>Maybe the words were too long for you, so I'll make it simpler:

But I am not clue less may be it was the poster, it not that easy to read you
mind via Usenet.

>I'm using RF due to the length of the cable run and the convenience
>of being able to run 4 different programs down the one cable.

But you need four Decoders to do that..

I never ever use RF when I can avoid it, the RF Modulator are far to crappy.