Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > router/ PC cable wiring; DSE XH1151 router

router/ PC cable wiring; DSE XH1151 router

Graeme Prentice

Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
"crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
to the router.

TIA

akiwi

Dave Taylor

Graeme Prentice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
> to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards.

This type of cable is called a cross over cable. What you need is a normal
ethernet patch cable.

--
Ciao, Dave

Graeme Prentice

On 14 Aug 2005 22:09:39 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:

>Graeme Prentice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
>> to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards.

>This type of cable is called a cross over cable. What you need is a normal
>ethernet patch cable.

I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.

Graeme

Tony

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:16:27 +1200, Graeme Prentice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
>getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
>router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
>blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
>to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
>going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
>"crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
>to the router.
>
>TIA
>
>akiwi

A Router will not Fix your Problem..

shannon

Graeme Prentice wrote:
> On 14 Aug 2005 22:09:39 +1200, Dave Taylor wrote:
>

>>Graeme Prentice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) m:
>>

>>>I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
>>>to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards.

>>This type of cable is called a cross over cable. What you need is a normal
>>ethernet patch cable.

> I just went looking for a CAT5 cable on DSE website and the XH1151
> router I'm using turned up in the search results - after scanning
> through it I found it claims that it has "MDI/MDIX" that supposedly
> handles crossed over wiring. Maybe I have something else wrong.
>
> Graeme

Correct
You don't need any special cables

You connect from your PC ethernet card to one of the routers four LAN
socket, then type http://192.168.1.1 into your browser to reach the
setup page.
The WAN socket connects to your internet connection.
The WAN connennection won't work until you have given it the IP address
info for your internet connection in the router setup page in your browser.

Ripping Silk

Graeme Prentice wrote:

> Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
> getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
> router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
> blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
> to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
> going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
> "crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
> to the router.
>
> TIA
>
> akiwi

I got one of these too. My one had older firmware and would not work
after 24 hours uptime (a problem with the clock or timer in there
somewhere). The new firmware works great, and now it never falls over.

Tony

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:09:34 +1200, Ripping Silk <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Graeme Prentice wrote:
>>
>> Because of my problems with paradise IP blocking situation preventing me
>> getting to certain web pages, I have decided to connect up a DSE XH1151
>> router I bought a while ago, to see if this will overcome the IP
>> blocking problem. I have an ethernet type cable that I previously used
>> to use to connect two PCs using ethernet cards. Will this cable work
>> going between a router and a PC or do I need a different cable with
>> "crossed over" wiring for this - when I tried it, my PC wouldn't talk
>> to the router.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> akiwi

> I got one of these too. My one had older firmware and would not work
>after 24 hours uptime (a problem with the clock or timer in there
>somewhere). The new firmware works great, and now it never falls over.

I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..

The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
Cap..

Richard

Tony wrote:

> I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
> updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..
>
> The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
> Cap..

its a powerpack, just get a new one, I dont know for sure about the dse router
one, but they are generally welded or glued shut and not really servicable and
able to be reassembled into something that will look any good without glue
showing etc.

Tony

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:28:02 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tony wrote:
>
>> I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
>> updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..
>>
>> The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
>> Cap..

>its a powerpack, just get a new one, I dont know for sure about the dse router
>one, but they are generally welded or glued shut and not really servicable and
>able to be reassembled into something that will look any good without glue
>showing etc.

No You can't as it does not have a standard Voltage from memory and Fixing it
is far cheaper..

We do this Every day, Plus who looks at the Power Pack..?

EMB

Tony wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 18:28:02 +1200, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Tony wrote:
>>

>>>I gather that these are made by Surcom they have much later Fireware, I
>>>updated a friends one to Surcom 1.6..
>>>
>>>The Power pack fail in about a year, get it cracked open and replace the Elec
>>>Cap..

>>its a powerpack, just get a new one, I dont know for sure about the dse router
>>one, but they are generally welded or glued shut and not really servicable and
>>able to be reassembled into something that will look any good without glue
>>showing etc.

> No You can't as it does not have a standard Voltage from memory and Fixing it
> is far cheaper..
>
> We do this Every day, Plus who looks at the Power Pack..?

Proof of your electrical registration so that you can legally perform
this work please?

--
EMB