Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Free SD card from DSE

Free SD card from DSE

KewlKiwi

'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not
a cock-up!

See:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/J2921
or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

Phstpok

Are they open sunday? Line forms on the left.

Btw, what was your search parameter?

KewlKiwi stubbed out the damp squib on 13/08/2005 11:19 p.m.and tried to
bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not
> a cock-up!
>
> See:
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/J2921
>
> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

Peter Gutmann

KewlKiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not
>a cock-up!

If you look at the web page it says:

Online Store: Out of stock, no further stock is due.

We will not ship or transfer this product to another Store.

So the $0 for the online store is probably because there isn't any available.
Trying to order it (just for a giggle) gives:

Your order will be processed by our DirectLink Home Shopping Service and
will be dispatched as soon as possible, subject to availability.

The legal position (at least in the UK, I assume it's the same here) is that
if they advertise it at $X then they have to give it to you at that price.
This hit a UK retailer last year some time when they accidentally advertised
some rather expensive consumer electronics item (plasma TV?) for an incredibly
low price. However, since there's no stock available, they're under no
obligation to send you any of the non-items.

Peter.

colinco

In article Peter Gutmann says...
> The legal position (at least in the UK, I assume it's the same here) is that
> if they advertise it at $X then they have to give it to you at that price.
> This hit a UK retailer last year some time when they accidentally advertised
> some rather expensive consumer electronics item (plasma TV?) for an incredibly
> low price. However, since there's no stock available, they're under no
> obligation to send you any of the non-items.

INAL but Retailer normally under no obligation to sell anything.
Fair Trading Act allows for genuine mistakes. Retailer only in trouble
if consistantly advertising wrong prices. I'd be surprised if UK law was
any different

EMB

colinco wrote:

> INAL but Retailer normally under no obligation to sell anything.
> Fair Trading Act allows for genuine mistakes. Retailer only in trouble
> if consistantly advertising wrong prices.

Yep - an advertisment is only "an invitation to treat"so the retailer is
not obliged to sell you anything at the advertised price (assuming a
mistake has been made).

--
EMB

Dave

"KewlKiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42fdd612$(E-Mail Removed)...
> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's not a
> cock-up!
>
> See:
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/J2921
> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will find
all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways. If you do a
search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm Treo 650 smartphone
which if you read says that it includes a free SD card. Therefore this card
is only available if you buy a Palm Treo 650.

~misfit~

Dave wrote:
> "KewlKiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:42fdd612$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> 'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's
>> not a cock-up!
>>
>> See:
>> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/J2921
>> or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

> From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
> find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
> If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
> Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free SD
> card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm Treo
> 650.

That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my local
DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and asked them to
show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get one. I've emailed head
office expressing my view of this. The linked page can be easilly found by
going to DSE's site and clicking "Clearance". It's on the last page.

How was I to know that a 'J' code is only available with another item? I
didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol money in good faith
going to the store.

Not impressed.
--
~misfit~

shannon

~misfit~ wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>
>>"KewlKiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:42fdd612$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>'Use SD memory card in your camera? Here's a real bargain - if it's
>>>not a cock-up!
>>>
>>>See:
>>>http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...uct/View/J2921
>>>or: http://tinyurl.com/a35hf

>>From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
>>find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
>>If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
>>Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free SD
>>card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm Treo
>>650.

> That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my local
> DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and asked them to
> show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get one. I've emailed head
> office expressing my view of this. The linked page can be easilly found by
> going to DSE's site and clicking "Clearance". It's on the last page.
>
> How was I to know that a 'J' code is only available with another item? I
> didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol money in good faith
> going to the store.
>
> Not impressed.

You win some, you lose some.

Dave

>> From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
>> find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
>> If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
>> Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free SD
>> card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm Treo
>> 650.

> That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my local
> DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and asked them to
> show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get one. I've emailed head
> office expressing my view of this. The linked page can be easilly found by
> going to DSE's site and clicking "Clearance". It's on the last page.
>
> How was I to know that a 'J' code is only available with another item? I
> didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol money in good
> faith going to the store.
>
> Not impressed.
> --
> ~misfit~

They should have showed you the small print at the bottom of the page which
is included with every clearance item.
"PLEASE NOTE: Stock Availability last updated 2:00am 14-Aug-2005. Actual
Stock Availability is subject to constant change. For orders placed online,
available stock is allocated on a "first in first served" basis. For Retail
Stores, please phone the store you intend to visit to ensure they still have
stock. "
The last sentence is actually stated twice on the web page. Therefore if you
had rung them they would have been able to inform you over the phone and you
wouldn't have wasted your time and petrol. Common sense would have also been
to be skeptical of anything being offered for free with no strings attached!

~misfit~

shannon wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>
>>> "KewlKiwi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:42fdd612$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> From my experience from working DSE a few years ago I think you will
>>> find all products starting with a J catalogue number are giveaways.
>>> If you do a search on the website for J2921 it also shows the Palm
>>> Treo 650 smartphone which if you read says that it includes a free
>>> SD card. Therefore this card is only available if you buy a Palm
>>> Treo 650.

>> That is exactly what I was told this morning after driving off to my
>> local DSE store. I showed them a printed copy of the web page and
>> asked them to show me where it says that. No good, I couldn't get
>> one. I've emailed head office expressing my view of this. The linked
>> page can be easilly found by going to DSE's site and clicking
>> "Clearance". It's on the last page. How was I to know that a 'J' code is
>> only available with another
>> item? I didn't know that (until now) so spent my time and petrol
>> money in good faith going to the store.
>>
>> Not impressed.

> You win some, you lose some.

Too true. I've had some excellent deals from DSE. The last thing I got free
was an expansion memory card/mains power kit for a "Bookman" (or something).
The wallwart was a multi-voltage DSE one they'd included in the kit, very
handy to have around. It was listed as costing $0.01 But when I went to give
the cashier five cents he said "No charge". Usually I end up buying
something else that I didn't know I needed while I'm there. Like the other
stuff I left on the counter this morning as a protest to the brainless
'droid who "served" me's condescending attitude.
--
~misfit~