Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > You have just signed up on a secure web site and then....

You have just signed up on a secure web site and then....

Gordy

Don't you hate it when:

You have just signed up (for a product or service) on a secure web
site (https) and your password is reflected as ********

Then a short while later you receive an email confirmation in which
your password is fully revealed.

Gordy

Dave Taylor

Gordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Don't you hate it when:
>
> You have just signed up (for a product or service) on a secure web
> site (https) and your password is reflected as ********
>
> Then a short while later you receive an email confirmation in which
> your password is fully revealed.
>

> Gordy

Unforgivable today!
Sourceforge?

--
Ciao, Dave

AD.

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:45:40 +1200, Gordy wrote:

> Don't you hate it when:
>
> You have just signed up (for a product or service) on a secure web site
> (https) and your password is reflected as ********
>
> Then a short while later you receive an email confirmation in which your
> password is fully revealed.

Maybe they're hoping that the d00d that 0wnz your ISPs proxy server is a
different d00d than the one that ownz your ISPs mail server

And that d00d that 0wnz some of the routers between you and the site is
off sick today

Oh yeah, while we're at it the mail server d00d needs to be sick today as
well.

Seriously though what you're looking at is the equivalent of US Homeland
Security - the appearance of security is more important than actual
security.

--
Cheers
Anton