Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Jetstream and Usenet

Jetstream and Usenet

Kiwi Trev

Hi all

Currently on dial-up with Orcon.

Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.

I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.

Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?

excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...

Squirrel

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, "Kiwi Trev" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Currently on dial-up with Orcon.
>
>Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.
>
>I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.
>
>Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
>get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?
>
>excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...

newsgroups will speed up also, considerably so in my experience, and
since I recently blew my gig limit, and have had my speed cut back to
dial up, the difference is REALLY noticeable.

Squirrel

Gordon

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, Kiwi Trev wrote:

> Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
> get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?

A high speed connection applies to your connection. All things being equal
everything will happen faster, after all your connection only is about
receiving 0's and 1's, whether it is a porn picture or spam is up your
machine to sort out.

In the real world, generally speaking, things are more interactive.

Kiwi Trev

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, Kiwi Trev wrote:
>
>> Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or
>> will I
>> get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?

> A high speed connection applies to your connection. All things being equal
> everything will happen faster, after all your connection only is about
> receiving 0's and 1's, whether it is a porn picture or spam is up your
> machine to sort out.
>
> In the real world, generally speaking, things are more interactive.

thanks to both of you for replies

Phstpok

Squirrel stubbed out the damp squib on 13/08/2005 3:24 p.m.and tried to
bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, "Kiwi Trev" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>Hi all
>>
>>Currently on dial-up with Orcon.
>>
>>Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.
>>
>>I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.
>>
>>Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
>>get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?
>>
>>excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...
>>

> newsgroups will speed up also, considerably so in my experience, and
> since I recently blew my gig limit, and have had my speed cut back to
> dial up, the difference is REALLY noticeable.
>
> Squirrel

Except on Paradise news server. I'm on cable and it runs like a dog.

Stephen Worthington

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:24:26 +1200, Squirrel <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:08:07 +1200, "Kiwi Trev" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Hi all
>>
>>Currently on dial-up with Orcon.
>>
>>Looking at moving up to jetstream/high speed/something faster than this.
>>
>>I d/l a lot of MP3's from usenet.
>>
>>Question is - does a high speed connection only apply to browsing, or will I
>>get my newsgroup d/l's at the same speed?
>>
>>excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance...
>>

>newsgroups will speed up also, considerably so in my experience, and
>since I recently blew my gig limit, and have had my speed cut back to
>dial up, the difference is REALLY noticeable.
>
>Squirrel

Except that Telecom seems to be doing traffic shaping on the ADSL
connection to my ISP (World-Net) that limits my download speed on
anything other than port 80 to less than half speed (256/128 kibits/s
UBS connection).

Spam Blackhole

In article <42fe0f1b$(E-Mail Removed)>, Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Except on Paradise news server. I'm on cable and it runs like a dog.

Oh? I'm on cable too. I recently switched from 256K to 2M plan, and using
the Paradise (actually TelstraClear) news server my peak download speed went
from about 30 KB/sec to 220 KB/sec. The long-term average used to be about
110 MB/hour, now it's 740 MB/hour. Those figures are about in line with what
I would expect from the raw speed difference. If you're not getting that
sort of performance you ought to look at a trace of a typical download and
see where the delays are happening.

preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"