Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > HT cpu & non HT mb

HT cpu & non HT mb

ahoy hoy

i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading,
and as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.

to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with a
non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be ignored
or will it crash n burn itself lol

any ideas?
cheers
White Shadow

Andrew

ahoy hoy wrote:
> i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
> My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
> i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading,
> and as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.
>
> to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with a
> non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be ignored
> or will it crash n burn itself lol
>
> any ideas?
> cheers
> White Shadow

HT will be ignored

Stephen Williams

"ahoy hoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42fc3916$(E-Mail Removed)...
>i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
> My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
> i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading, and
> as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.
>
> to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with a
> non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be ignored
> or will it crash n burn itself lol
>
> any ideas?
> cheers
> White Shadow

If it's an older board, an old northwood P4 2.8 533FSB would be your best
bet.

Cheers,
Steve

thingy

Andrew wrote:
> ahoy hoy wrote:
>
>> i want to upgrade my cpu to the max my mother board will allow
>> My MB is 533 FSB skt 478
>> i notice there is a 3 ghz cpu for 533 FSB, but it has hyper threading,
>> and as far as im aware my mb doest support hyper threading.
>>
>> to be a cheap skate, i was wondering if the cpu would still work with
>> a non hyper threading supported mb. ie the hyper threading will be
>> ignored or will it crash n burn itself lol
>>
>> any ideas?
>> cheers
>> White Shadow
>>

> HT will be ignored

I thought HT would be a OS thing, so not noticed by the motherboard....

regards

Thing

Enkidu

thingy wrote:

> I thought HT would be a OS thing, so not noticed by the motherboard....

Apparently not, as you can turn it on/off in the BIOS. (I'm
99% certain - haven't booted into a BIOS with HT processor
recently)

Cheers,

Cliff

Paul

A 533 mhz mb needs a 3 ghz CPU
in order for the HT option to appear in
the BIOS. No 3 ghz CPU installed, you
wont see the HT option to turn it off/on
in the BIOS.

If your mb supports 3 ghz + it'll use HT
if u did buy a 3 ghz CPU.

On the other hand, if the mb was 800 mhz
you wouldnt have to go as high as 3 ghz to
get HT. 2.4 will give u HT.