Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does anybody have Recommendations for a laptop?

Does anybody have Recommendations for a laptop?

Mark C

OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be
marvelous!

It needs to handle:

Web browsing (dialup)
VoIP
Word processing

Video games not required.

I figure even the most basic laptop will do this, so something about
40GB drive, 256MB RAM would be OK.

Should I upgrade to 512MB?
(In my experience, extra memory is the one thing that future proofs a
PC.)

In general, which brands are good, which are bad?

Can good second-hand laptops be had?

Thanks,
Mark

John in Epsom

On 10 Aug 2005 09:43:03 GMT, Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Web browsing (dialup)
>VoIP
>Word processing
>
>Video games not required.

they get an ex-leae dell or tosh laptop from computerlink.co.nz or
valley brokers in upper hutt...

Nova

Mark C wrote:
> OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
> laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be
> marvelous!
>
> It needs to handle:
>
> Web browsing (dialup)
> VoIP
> Word processing
>
> Video games not required.
>
> I figure even the most basic laptop will do this, so something about
> 40GB drive, 256MB RAM would be OK.
>
> Should I upgrade to 512MB?
> (In my experience, extra memory is the one thing that future proofs a
> PC.)
>
> In general, which brands are good, which are bad?
>
> Can good second-hand laptops be had?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I got a Asus M6000R, which I like a lot, widescreen 15"4 screen which is
nice and all the standard bells and whistles these days, wireless, dvd
writer, 512 megs etc etc. It was about $1600

Asus are well known for the quality of their motherboards and seem to be
trying to break into the laptop market (as are loads of companies now)
and prices are really starting to drop...

I'd decide how much you want to spend, and is screen resolution +screen
size important to you?

Also an important thing, are you actually going to use it as a laptop?
or will it mostly be run on AC power? as if you are going to use it on
AC power then you can buy a much cheaper and far more power laptop with
a standard cpu instead of a cpu made for laptops.

If youa re going to take it on the road a lot then obviously you want to
get a cpu made for laptops.

You can get ASUS laptops with sempron 3000's for like $1500 so with all
bells and whistles new.

Product Details (A4500D):
15” LCD Screen
Sempron 3000+ Processor
Graphics: ATI Mobility™ Radeon™ 9200 (32mb)
512 MB Memory
40GB Hard Disk Drive
DVD Writer (8x dual layer,dual format)
» Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
» Wireless Network 802.11g
» Memory Card Reader
» 8-cell Battery
» Mouse and Carry Bag
Asus 2 year global warranty.

I've also had a Dell laptop which was good, but have had no problems
with either.

I'd definitely get 512 megs, assuming you are going to put windows on it
which of course will come with it

Dave Taylor

Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:42f9cc27$0$1601$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
> laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be
> marvelous!

Bad idea, do that after you pick your model. The screen and keyboard, look
and feel are CRITICAL and SUBJECTIVE. If you don't like it, you will not
be happy. Specs are important, but so is actually touching a few.
Anything low end new will do what you want it to do. Heck even a low end
used will do what you want.

--
Ciao, Dave

Stephen Williams

> OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
> laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be
> marvelous!
>
> It needs to handle:
>
> Web browsing (dialup)
> VoIP
> Word processing

The cheapest possible dell or acer or compaq or whatever, and upgrade it to
512mb.

The cheap acers are damn cheap, however i think they only have a 2 hour
battery life.

Cheers,
Steve

The Other Guy

Mark C wrote:
> OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
> laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be
> marvelous!
>
> It needs to handle:
>
> Web browsing (dialup)
> VoIP
> Word processing
>
> Video games not required.
>
> I figure even the most basic laptop will do this, so something about
> 40GB drive, 256MB RAM would be OK.
>
> Should I upgrade to 512MB?
> (In my experience, extra memory is the one thing that future proofs a
> PC.)
>
> In general, which brands are good, which are bad?

I'm told pretty much anything from HP/Compaq should be reliable.
Toshiba, and Fujitsu are other brands I'd recommend. I'd avoid Acer,
Asus, and Sony, even though they are well known brands.

I quite like the HP V2134AP which can be had for around $1,500+GST at
the moment. This has a 14" widescreen so it isn't as large as some of
the (slightly) cheaper 15" models around. Pentium M, 60GB hard drive,
512MB RAM, 10/100 Ethernet, modem, 802.11b/g, and Bluetooth.

The Other Guy

MarkH

Mark C <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:42f9cc27$0$1601$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

> OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
> laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be
> marvelous!
>
> It needs to handle:
>
> Web browsing (dialup)
> VoIP
> Word processing
>
> Video games not required.
>
> I figure even the most basic laptop will do this, so something about
> 40GB drive, 256MB RAM would be OK.
>
> Should I upgrade to 512MB?
> (In my experience, extra memory is the one thing that future proofs a
> PC.)

I recently noticed this:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=NBKHNB1085
An HP laptop for $999+GST

This seems to be a good price, I have used HP Laptops and quite like them.

I would recommend upgrading to 512MB, in my experience WinXP runs better
with 512MB than 256MB.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)

Nova

The Other Guy wrote:

> Mark C wrote:
>
>> OK, I *am* about to also pricespy and google away to find a good
>> laptop, but if anybody has any recommendations, that would be marvelous!
>>
>> It needs to handle:
>>
>> Web browsing (dialup)
>> VoIP
>> Word processing
>>
>> Video games not required.
>>
>> I figure even the most basic laptop will do this, so something about
>> 40GB drive, 256MB RAM would be OK.
>>
>> Should I upgrade to 512MB?
>> (In my experience, extra memory is the one thing that future proofs a
>> PC.)
>>
>> In general, which brands are good, which are bad?

> I'm told pretty much anything from HP/Compaq should be reliable.
> Toshiba, and Fujitsu are other brands I'd recommend. I'd avoid Acer,
> Asus, and Sony, even though they are well known brands.
>
> I quite like the HP V2134AP which can be had for around $1,500+GST at
> the moment. This has a 14" widescreen so it isn't as large as some of
> the (slightly) cheaper 15" models around. Pentium M, 60GB hard drive,
> 512MB RAM, 10/100 Ethernet, modem, 802.11b/g, and Bluetooth.
>
> The Other Guy

I'm curious why you would recommend avoiding Asus, any reasoning there?

I had 2 problems with the only compaq Ive owned, screen had a line down
it and the speakers crackkled continuously.

of course that doesn't mean compaq are bad but I'd certainly never
recommend them out of my personal experience.

On the other hand my asus has given no problems and was cheaper than
just buying from a traditional name brand in the laptop market.

Asus aren't exactly some cheap outfit, their motherboards are usually
the most expensive on the market cause they go for quality.
Their laptops are cheaper because
1) they are trying to break into the market
2) the tradional laptop manufacturers have probably been gouging the market

anyway im always curious when someoen says avoid such and such and
doesn't give a reason at all or is this a "ive heard.." based opinion ?

The Other Guy

Nova wrote:
> I'm curious why you would recommend avoiding Asus, any reasoning there?
>
> On the other hand my asus has given no problems and was cheaper than
> just buying from a traditional name brand in the laptop market.

Asus offers good pricing, but in their lower end models they aren't
competative on size and weight. That isn't a reason not to buy them, but
it was certainly the major factor in ruling them out for my pending
purchases.

> Asus aren't exactly some cheap outfit, their motherboards are usually
> the most expensive on the market cause they go for quality.
> Their laptops are cheaper because
> 1) they are trying to break into the market
> 2) the tradional laptop manufacturers have probably been gouging the market
>
> anyway im always curious when someoen says avoid such and such and
> doesn't give a reason at all or is this a "ive heard.." based opinion ?

I don't work in PC assembly, but failure rates of new motherboards
appear to be quite high, and Asus is no exception. Recently I was
discussing this issue with a PC manufacturer (Since I had to get my
Gigabyte motherboard replaced), and they had seen several examples of
higher priced Asus boards not working out of the box.

I avoid Asus because we used to use them in my old job. The boss was
cheap, so we ended up with boards that had crap chipsets. Asus obviosuly
should know about the problems, but sells the items anyway.

The Other Guy

Nova

The Other Guy wrote:
> Nova wrote:
>
>> I'm curious why you would recommend avoiding Asus, any reasoning there?
>>
>> On the other hand my asus has given no problems and was cheaper than
>> just buying from a traditional name brand in the laptop market.

> Asus offers good pricing, but in their lower end models they aren't
> competative on size and weight. That isn't a reason not to buy them, but
> it was certainly the major factor in ruling them out for my pending
> purchases.
>
>> Asus aren't exactly some cheap outfit, their motherboards are usually
>> the most expensive on the market cause they go for quality.
>> Their laptops are cheaper because
>> 1) they are trying to break into the market
>> 2) the tradional laptop manufacturers have probably been gouging the
>> market
>>
>> anyway im always curious when someoen says avoid such and such and
>> doesn't give a reason at all or is this a "ive heard.." based opinion
>> ?

> I don't work in PC assembly, but failure rates of new motherboards
> appear to be quite high, and Asus is no exception. Recently I was
> discussing this issue with a PC manufacturer (Since I had to get my
> Gigabyte motherboard replaced), and they had seen several examples of
> higher priced Asus boards not working out of the box.
>
> I avoid Asus because we used to use them in my old job. The boss was
> cheap, so we ended up with boards that had crap chipsets. Asus obviosuly
> should know about the problems, but sells the items anyway.
>
> The Other Guy

Well yes ASUS have some cheap motherboards too, covering all areas of
the market I guess . The only chipsets I've had problems with are
sis, as far as i am concerned that should be avoided like the plague
that is from personal expierence and also from reading countless others
complaining about problems.

VIA were used on ASUS boards a lot, and earlier VIA chipsets seemed to
have their fair share of problems though I have a few VIA based chipsets
, probably later revisions that seem to be just fine.

They also offer Nforce based boards, Intel based boards.

Anyway I'm just trying to point out that they have a huge variety, if
you buy cheap ASUS products you are buying cheap, however they do make
real quality products with quality chipsets too for a little more.

Weight wasn't really an issue when I bought mine an extra kilo to me
doesn't really mean much, i usually just take my laptop somewhere then
put it on a desk, i don't think i've ever had it on my lap. to me it was
features/screen size and $$.

Well that is all I have to say

actually I've changed my mind, I'll add this while we are talking about
unreliable m'boards.

Someone posted an article recently here on why lots of m'boards die, was
down to bad capacitors on the boards and most manufacturers were having
problems with this especially and it is still affecting boards coming
out today, I discovered an old board I had discared due to random
rebooting had all the caps leaking... a very widespread problem it would
appear yet so many don't know about it

http://www.badcaps.net