Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > cpus

Shane

How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
catch is.. I want them brand new
there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
coming out with low end
Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
issue

TIA

Rider

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
> How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
> catch is.. I want them brand new
> there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
> coming out with low end
> Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
> issue
>

> TIA
>
> --
> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
>
> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

Unless someone has incredibly old stock on his shelf, you won't find a brand
new one.

Rider

Rider

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VJVJe.1420$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
>> How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
>> catch is.. I want them brand new
>> there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
>> coming out with low end
>> Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
>> issue
>>

>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
>>
>> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.
>>

> Unless someone has incredibly old stock on his shelf, you won't find a
> brand new one.
>
> Rider

I'm meaning an Intel Pentium cpu.

cowboyz

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
> How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
> catch is.. I want them brand new
> there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
> coming out with low end
> Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
> issue
>

> TIA
>
> --
> Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked
>
> The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

"low end" now days is a Sempron 2600 or a celeron 2G

2-500Mhz?? I really don't like your chances.

AD.

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:38:38 +1200, Shane wrote:

> How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
> catch is.. I want them brand new
> there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
> coming out with low end
> Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
> issue

For actual Pentiums, you'd have to be an embedded manufacturer and deal
directly with Intel for them in volume I reckon. Unless you can find some
old batch somewhere that was lost behind the shelving for a few years and
now has been put up on ebay or something

Otherwise, I'd suggest VIA C3s or something like that (mobo included
though).

--
Cheers
Anton

Shane

> For actual Pentiums, you'd have to be an embedded manufacturer and deal
> directly with Intel for them in volume I reckon. Unless you can find some
> old batch somewhere that was lost behind the shelving for a few years and
> now has been put up on ebay or something

Yeah, I figured they still ahve to be in manufacture somewhere, as there
are a lot of devices that run this type of proc
Playstations, Cars, the list goes on

> Otherwise, I'd suggest

VIA C3s or something like that (mobo included
> though).

no prizes for guessing whos going to be giving google a thrashing tonight

Rich

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
> How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
> catch is.. I want them brand new
> there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
> coming out with low end
> Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
> issue

You could try someone like HP spare parts - they seem to be able to get
ancient parts. They can be rather pricey though.

Steve Marshall

"AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> there must be someone manufacturing [200-500MHz
> Pentium processors] as there are still products
> coming out with low end

Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
examples.

Shane

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 20:16:22 +1200, Steve Marshall wrote:

> "AD." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> there must be someone manufacturing [200-500MHz Pentium processors] as
>> there are still products coming out with low end

> Really? What current products use Pentium processors in the 200-500MHz
> range? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I assume you can think of some
> examples.

wasnt the playstation 1 running a 486?

some guy

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 15:38:38 +1200, Shane <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net>
wrote:

>How do I go about getting a lower end proc like pentium 200<=>500 MHz
>catch is.. I want them brand new
>there must be someone manufacturing them, as there are still products
>coming out with low end
>Id prefer something that can run x86 code, but that _may_ not be a big
>issue
>

>TIA

Build a time machine and set the controls for 1999