Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Cannot connect 802.11b to Wireless G router

Cannot connect 802.11b to Wireless G router

=?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?=

Hello,
I have windows xp professional and just upgraded my home network to 802.11G.
Access works fine for 2 of the three computers. One is using a 802.11G
adapter and the other is using 802.11b so I know the router is sending out
both signals.
The third laptop, utilizing a Nokia C110 802.11b wireless LAN card, does not
connect. It does sense the signal but cannot connect. Under network
connections the status states Network Cable Unplugged (which is interesting
because it does sense the signal). I cannot view available wireless networks
by right clicking on the network tab in the tray.
This card worked with previous 802.11b network via SMC router. I have WEP
and MAC filtering turned off on the router and disabled firewall on laptop.
None of this helped...
HELP!....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi.
As a long Shot.
New laptop tend to load the original Brand's Wireless utility.
Might be that you end up that Windows Zero Configuration and the Utility
"compete".
If both are On switch one of them Off.
May be this can Help.
Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htmlOtherwise,
you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following these steps.
Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> I have windows xp professional and just upgraded my home network to
> 802.11G.
> Access works fine for 2 of the three computers. One is using a 802.11G
> adapter and the other is using 802.11b so I know the router is sending out
> both signals.
> The third laptop, utilizing a Nokia C110 802.11b wireless LAN card, does
> not
> connect. It does sense the signal but cannot connect. Under network
> connections the status states Network Cable Unplugged (which is
> interesting
> because it does sense the signal). I cannot view available wireless
> networks
> by right clicking on the network tab in the tray.
> This card worked with previous 802.11b network via SMC router. I have WEP
> and MAC filtering turned off on the router and disabled firewall on
> laptop.
> None of this helped...
> HELP!....

=?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?=

Thanks.
I'll try that when I get home.
The interesting thing is that the adapter/laptop worked fine when connecting
to the old 802.11b router. No new software added to laptop. Only the new
802.11g router.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi.
> As a long Shot.
> New laptop tend to load the original Brand's Wireless utility.
> Might be that you end up that Windows Zero Configuration and the Utility
> "compete".
> If both are On switch one of them Off.
> May be this can Help.
> Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htmlOtherwise,
> you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following these steps.
> Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
> Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
> is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
> http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
> Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
> every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
> Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
> or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> > I have windows xp professional and just upgraded my home network to
> > 802.11G.
> > Access works fine for 2 of the three computers. One is using a 802.11G
> > adapter and the other is using 802.11b so I know the router is sending out
> > both signals.
> > The third laptop, utilizing a Nokia C110 802.11b wireless LAN card, does
> > not
> > connect. It does sense the signal but cannot connect. Under network
> > connections the status states Network Cable Unplugged (which is
> > interesting
> > because it does sense the signal). I cannot view available wireless
> > networks
> > by right clicking on the network tab in the tray.
> > This card worked with previous 802.11b network via SMC router. I have WEP
> > and MAC filtering turned off on the router and disabled firewall on
> > laptop.
> > None of this helped...
> > HELP!....

=?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWs=?=

Unfortunately this did not work. The option to click on wireless networks
was not available. The adapter does not show up as a "ghost" drive and shows
as working under system hardware.

"Derek" wrote:

> Thanks.
> I'll try that when I get home.
> The interesting thing is that the adapter/laptop worked fine when connecting
> to the old 802.11b router. No new software added to laptop. Only the new
> 802.11g router.
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> > As a long Shot.
> > New laptop tend to load the original Brand's Wireless utility.
> > Might be that you end up that Windows Zero Configuration and the Utility
> > "compete".
> > If both are On switch one of them Off.
> > May be this can Help.
> > Wireless - Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> > Wireless Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.htmlOtherwise,
> > you can debug the Network Settings of a computer by following these steps.
> > Step One. Check the Network parameters in the Computer's Device Manager.
> > Make sure that the Network Card drivers are installed correctly; i.e. there
> > is No IRQ conflict, and No Ghost installation.
> > http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
> > Step Two Verify Basic network setting in the OS:
> > http://www.ezlan.net/Installing#verify If the above two Steps indicates that
> > every thing looks good but functionally it does not work.
> > Step Three. Check (and repair if necessary) the Socket Layers, Winsock, and
> > or refresh the TCP/IP Stack. http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >
> > "Derek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > > I have windows xp professional and just upgraded my home network to
> > > 802.11G.
> > > Access works fine for 2 of the three computers. One is using a 802.11G
> > > adapter and the other is using 802.11b so I know the router is sending out
> > > both signals.
> > > The third laptop, utilizing a Nokia C110 802.11b wireless LAN card, does
> > > not
> > > connect. It does sense the signal but cannot connect. Under network
> > > connections the status states Network Cable Unplugged (which is
> > > interesting
> > > because it does sense the signal). I cannot view available wireless
> > > networks
> > > by right clicking on the network tab in the tray.
> > > This card worked with previous 802.11b network via SMC router. I have WEP
> > > and MAC filtering turned off on the router and disabled firewall on
> > > laptop.
> > > None of this helped...
> > > HELP!....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If it is working OK with the old Router, and does Not work with the new
Router there is probably some mismatch between the Router and the Wireless
card.
Start with security Off on both Router and Laptop.
Make sure that the DHCP server is On, and that the laptop's TCP/IP is on
Auto obtain IP.
Make sure that the Router is Not set to communicate Only with 802.11g
signal.
When it is working again set back the security.