Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Virtual Memory too low

Virtual Memory too low

Rob J

Why the hell so many of these messages?

PC has 256 MB of RAM, XPSP2 and I set the paging file to a range of
1000 - 2000 MB. Even with hardly any apps loaded I got out of memory
errors for one app which crashed, and these messages saying Windows is
resizing the file come up every day.

There is onboard video which is using 16MB of the system RAM

"Windows - Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low : Your system is low on
virtual memory. Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory
paging file. During this process, memory requests for some
applications may be denied. For more information, see Help. "

PF Usage says the system is using 2.12 GB, what the hell for? It was
only using 376 MB before I set it to a higher minimum

PAM.

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> PF Usage says the system is using 2.12 GB, what the hell for? It was
> only using 376 MB before I set it to a higher minimum

Work expands to fill the (w)hole provided.

PAM.

Tim

The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely
wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.

This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use
is at fault.

You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

Have you tried AV and antispyware scans using the latest signatures?

If you fire up task manager, (Ctrl Alt Delete, Task Manager), choose the
Processes tab and on the View Menu, click Select Columns, and tick Virtual
Memory Size, this will show you which applications are using large amounts
of VM.

- Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:24:30 +1200, "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely
>wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.
>
>This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use
>is at fault.
>
>You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

Zonealarm (v6)

After running it for a couple of hours the swapfile is 1.27GB and
vsmon.exe is using 98 megs of memory.

I think it's partly from the hardware monitor which uses local zone to
communicate, still ZA should be better designed than keeping a huge
memory based list of alerts that it never shrinks or dumps.

I used to write apps that got into endless loops and grew the swapfile
until the PC ran out of free disk space and crashed, from where I sit
it looks like ZA is doing just the same, more slowly that's all.

Tony

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:57:27 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:24:30 +1200, "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The problem you have is not with your paging file - unless you have a hugely
>>wierd application that is actually wanting GB's of virtual memory.
>>
>>This tends to indicate to me that the application(s) you are trying to use
>>is at fault.
>>
>>You imply it is one specific application. What is it?

>Zonealarm (v6)
>
>After running it for a couple of hours the swapfile is 1.27GB and
>vsmon.exe is using 98 megs of memory.
>
>I think it's partly from the hardware monitor which uses local zone to
>communicate, still ZA should be better designed than keeping a huge
>memory based list of alerts that it never shrinks or dumps.
>
>I used to write apps that got into endless loops and grew the swapfile
>until the PC ran out of free disk space and crashed, from where I sit
>it looks like ZA is doing just the same, more slowly that's all.

ZoneAlam is well know as being Crap, use some of the other Free ones..

I use the Older Kerio 2.1.5 does not use a Thing..

DoggNZ

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:57:27 +1200, Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:24:30 +1200, "Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

>Zonealarm (v6)

<snip>

Yeah, it's ****