Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Rant: Orcon and P2P

Rant: Orcon and P2P

Mark

<Begin Rant>
I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??

I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
documentary that I miss.
Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.

Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
<End Rant>

Collector»NZ

Mark wrote:
> <Begin Rant>
> I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
> Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??
>
> I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
> documentary that I miss.
> Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
> thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
>
> Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
> please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
> <End Rant>

I am an orcon user, but they are not my ISP at the moment. They provide the
bandwidth I use and my BTLORD torrents rock at about 17kbs

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*

Krazy Bob

news:42f5cc8e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <Begin Rant>
> I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
> Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??
>
> I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
> documentary that I miss.
> Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
> thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
>
> Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
> please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
> <End Rant>

guess it sucks for you then i get 70kb then downloading the odd tv show

wogers nemesis

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:49:59 +1200, Mark wrote:

> <Begin Rant>
> I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
> Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??
>
> I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
> documentary that I miss.
> Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
> thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
>
> Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
> please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
> <End Rant>

They now advertise as "deprioritising p2p traffic"

My torrents also crawl.. try other ports first though

Kristofer Clayton

On Sun, 7 Aug 2005 20:49:59 +1200, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><Begin Rant>
>I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
>Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??

Yup...

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

tm4525@aol.com

Mark wrote:
> <Begin Rant>
> I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
> Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??
>
> I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
> documentary that I miss.
> Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
> thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
>
> Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
> please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
> <End Rant>

Why don't you urge your ISP to get a real bandwidth management product
like the one made by www.etinc.com? Then you won't have some arbitrary
global setting for p2p that lets you do what you want to do with the
bandwidth you are supposed to get?

PAM.

> <Begin Rant>
> I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
> Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??
>
> I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
> documentary that I miss.
> Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
> thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
>
> Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
> please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
> <End Rant>

Remember that the speed is dictated by the slowest part of the connection.
You may be grabbing data from 56K people who are on the end of phone lines,
20Kms from the exchange

Mine goes up and down.

PAM.

DoggNZ

wrote:

><Begin Rant>
>I am sick and tired of watching my torrents crawl. Does anyone here use
>Orcon with Bittorrent and get 1 Kb or less per second??
>
>I don't download Warez / other crap but I do download the odd TV episode /
>documentary that I miss.
>Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
>thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
>
>Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
>please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
><End Rant>

I'm on Orcon UBS and Azureus is rocking. I did change the port
however.
--
SETI Stats
http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats...j:1/trans:-off

Mark

Hi, to what port? I have tried "random port" under shareaza but still get
the bit-dribble...
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

/
> >documentary that I miss.
> >Given that it now takes about a week to download a single episode I am
> >thinking of jumping ship to Actrix or some other ISP.
> >
> >Orcon, you suck, give what you advertised (unlimited 256K) or please,
> >please, please have a daily limit and THEN throttle.
> ><End Rant>
> >

> I'm on Orcon UBS and Azureus is rocking. I did change the port
> however.
> --
> SETI Stats
> http://boinc.mundayweb.com/one/stats...j:1/trans:-off

DoggNZ

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:43:07 +1200, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi, to what port? I have tried "random port" under shareaza but still get
>the bit-dribble...

Well if I tell you, Orcon might start to throttle that one as well