Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > E-mail-free Wednesdays

E-mail-free Wednesdays

Lawrence DčOliveiro

Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
would be nice.

What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
nowadays?

news.xtra.co.nz

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
> the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
> is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
> actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
> would be nice.
>
> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
> nowadays?

I've noticed emails can cause much grief between geographically separated
offices. Without the subtle feedback and body language people can get the
wrong idea in an email . Specially on high stress projects.

Gordon

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:36:56 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:

> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
> the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
> is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
> actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
> would be nice.
>
> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
> nowadays?

e-mail is a tool. Use it for waht it is good for. Screwdrivers are not
chisels and vica versa.

2nd. Okay so I wish to talk to Jane Doe.

"Could anyone tell me where Jane is?"

"Not sure but I think she might be... "

24X3600x3.765 seconds later I spot her in the distance. Either the fire
has burnt the building to the ground or I can not remember what I wanted
to see her about before she turns the corner.

e-mail, like notes left on a persons desk can keep things moving.
Customers like this yes?

Kiwi Trev

news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 15:36:56 +1200, Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>
>> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
>> the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
>> is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
>> actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
>> would be nice.
>>
>> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
>> nowadays?

> e-mail is a tool. Use it for waht it is good for. Screwdrivers are not
> chisels and vica versa.
>
> 2nd. Okay so I wish to talk to Jane Doe.
>
> "Could anyone tell me where Jane is?"
>
> "Not sure but I think she might be... "
>
> 24X3600x3.765 seconds later I spot her in the distance. Either the fire
> has burnt the building to the ground or I can not remember what I wanted
> to see her about before she turns the corner.
>
> e-mail, like notes left on a persons desk can keep things moving.
> Customers like this yes?

****ing lunatic

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
>the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
>is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
>actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
>would be nice.
>
>What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
>nowadays?

Yes
While it is a type of communication, nothing beats face to face. Phone to
phone is down a step and email probably another step down the communication
pyramid.

Bruce

(if there were any)

Phstpok

I just yelled hello out of a window. Anyone hear me?

Lawrence DčOliveiro stubbed out the damp squib on 7/08/2005 3:36 p.m.and
tried to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
> the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
> is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
> actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
> would be nice.
>
> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
> nowadays?

Bret

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 14:39:56 +1200, Phstpok <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just yelled hello out of a window. Anyone hear me?

Was that you was it

>Lawrence DčOliveiro stubbed out the damp squib on 7/08/2005 3:36 p.m.and
>tried to bring to our attention, this pearl of wisdom:
>> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
>> the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
>> is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
>> actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
>> would be nice.
>>
>> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
>> nowadays?

Craig Shore

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 23:11:22 GMT,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lawrence DčOliveiro <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
>>Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518> about
>>the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail free". That
>>is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that day, they should
>>actually try _talking_ to each other for a change. Even over the phone
>>would be nice.
>>
>>What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too e-mail-centric
>>nowadays?

>Yes
>While it is a type of communication, nothing beats face to face. Phone to
>phone is down a step and email probably another step down the communication
>pyramid.

Sometimes email is the better option, other times talking is. If you need to
supply a lot of detail before the other person can provide an answer it's easier
if you send it in writing. It also allows the person at the other end to better
manage their time, or to delegate the task to someone else capable of doing it
by simply forwarding the email.

Having said that, if there is a lot of need for two way conversation before an
answer can be obtained then a phone call is better.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <dd8srh$211e$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
>> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518>
>> about the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail
>> free". That is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that
>> day, they should actually try _talking_ to each other for a change.
>> Even over the phone would be nice.
>>
>> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too
>> e-mail-centric nowadays?

>Email is good if you want an audit trail of communication. Verbally,
>anything or nothing can be said in a conversation.

... and yet a verbal contract is just as binding as written one, if harder
to prove
OTOH, if you want secure, don't email

Bruce

(if there were any)

Kent Smith

Lawrence DčOliveiro wrote:
> Came across this item <http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/602518>
> about the Essex Chief Constable declaring Wednesdays to be "e-mail
> free". That is, instead of staff sending each other e-mails on that
> day, they should actually try _talking_ to each other for a change.
> Even over the phone would be nice.
>
> What do other folks think? Are organizations becoming too
> e-mail-centric nowadays?

Email is good if you want an audit trail of communication. Verbally,
anything or nothing can be said in a conversation.

-KENT