Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Can you believe some people?

Reply
Thread Tools

Can you believe some people?

 
 
GraB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
I found this in another newsgroup:

"I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
gone."


He's got to be kidding, right?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I found this in another newsgroup:
>
>"I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
>just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
>another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
>new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
>over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
>gone."
>
>He's got to be kidding, right?


I've never had to defrag a hard disk with either MacOS (pre-OS-X) or
Linux. Or Tru64 UNIX, for that matter...
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

>>He's got to be kidding, right?

>
>
> I've never had to defrag a hard disk with either MacOS (pre-OS-X) or
> Linux. Or Tru64 UNIX, for that matter...


I rarely have to defrag on windows, only if I do things like audio file tag
updates when there is only about 50 megs left or something equally stupid.

In my experiance, if you delete the tempoary files windows will soon put the
files in order with normal use of it, its only a major when you thrash the drive
and theres no free space on it.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Cooze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
Richard wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>>> He's got to be kidding, right?

>>
>>
>>
>> I've never had to defrag a hard disk with either MacOS (pre-OS-X) or
>> Linux. Or Tru64 UNIX, for that matter...

>
>
> I rarely have to defrag on windows, only if I do things like audio file
> tag updates when there is only about 50 megs left or something equally
> stupid.
>
> In my experiance, if you delete the tempoary files windows will soon put
> the files in order with normal use of it, its only a major when you
> thrash the drive and theres no free space on it.



From

http://slackworld.berlios.de/01/wisdom.html

In a multi-user, multi-tasking, multi-threaded OS, many files are being
accessed at any time, and, if left unregulated, the disk read-write
heads would jump all over the place all the time. Even with
'defragmented' files, there would be as much seek-time delay as there
would be with a single-user single-tasking OS and fragmented files.

Fortunately, multi-user, multi-tasking, multi-threaded OSs are usually
built smarter than that. Since file access is multiplexed from the point
of view of the device (multiple file accesses from multiple, unrelated
processes, with no order imposed on the sequence of blocks requested),
the device driver incorporates logic to accomodate the performance hits,
like reordering the requests into something sensible for the device (i.e
an "elevator" algorithm or the like).

In other words, fragmentation is a concern when one (and only one)
process access data from one (and only one) file. When more than one
file is involved, the disk addresses being requested are 'fragmented'
with respect to the sequence that the driver has to service them, and
thus it doesn't matter to the device driver whether or not a file was
fragmented.


I would guess that Win Xp falls into this catogray as I never seem to
have any preformance hit from badly fragmented files. MP3 creation is a
killer step 1 put down about 45~60 Meg of file then compress and deleat
the big file at the same time put another big wav file down. end result
is files with big spaces inbetween them.



--
http://cooze.co.nz home of the RecyclerMan aka Robert Cooze

/ __/ / / / / /__ / / ___/ / __/ / / / |/ / /__ /
/ / / /_/ / / /_/ / _-' / __/ / / / /_/ / / /| / _-'
___\ ____/ ____/ /___/ /____/ /_/ ___\ ____/ /_/ /_/ |_/ /___/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gordy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:43:54 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I found this in another newsgroup:
>
>"I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
>just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
>another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
>new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
>over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
>gone."
>
>
>He's got to be kidding, right?


That is so funny. It has to be a troll...

Where has his Windows gone... Out the window

What is the newgroup or link...

I would love to see the follow up on this one..

Gordy



 
Reply With Quote
 
akiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-06-2005
On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 22:43:54 +1200, GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I found this in another newsgroup:
>
>"I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
>just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
>another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
>new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
>over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
>gone."
>
>
>He's got to be kidding, right?


I'd say so coz he'd lose all his files so why would he choose not to
defrag if he knows so little about computers - someone so
unknowledgeable and weird would just do the defrag instead of dragging
the PC off to a repair shop - they wouldn't know how to install a hard
drive right? And if they took it to a repair shop they'd get sent
home. I don't think Windows says you need to defrag anyway.

akiwi
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steve Marshall
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
Gordy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I would love to see the follow up on this one..


http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...66de4560a042ca
 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>I found this in another newsgroup:
>>
>>"I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
>>just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
>>another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
>>new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing it
>>over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
>>gone."
>>
>>He's got to be kidding, right?

>
> I've never had to defrag a hard disk with either MacOS (pre-OS-X) or
> Linux. Or Tru64 UNIX, for that matter...
>

I've not defragged a Windows box since NT4, about SP2 or SP3...

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I found this in another newsgroup:
>>
>> "I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
>> just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
>> another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
>> new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing
>> it over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
>> gone."
>>
>> He's got to be kidding, right?

>
> I've never had to defrag a hard disk with either MacOS (pre-OS-X) or
> Linux. Or Tru64 UNIX, for that matter...


And yet again one of the brainwashed drones turns a perfectly innocent
thread into what he believes is a plug for non-Microsoft operating systems.
In fact all this evangelicalism has the opposite effect on most people.
Who'd want to end up as sad and pathetic as these drones who only live for
pushing their OS of choice? The risk just isn't worth it. There are
obviously undocumented side-effects of using OSS that turn you into a
'pusher'.

Sad.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-07-2005
~misfit~ wrote:
> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>GraB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>I found this in another newsgroup:
>>>
>>>"I never defrag my hard disk. When it says it needs to be defraged I
>>>just toss the hard disk and buy a new one. That way it's good for
>>>another half year or so. The only bad thing is that whenever I get a
>>>new hard disk my computer loses windows so I got to keep installing
>>>it over and over. I cant figure out where windows goes but its just
>>>gone."
>>>
>>>He's got to be kidding, right?

>>
>>I've never had to defrag a hard disk with either MacOS (pre-OS-X) or
>>Linux. Or Tru64 UNIX, for that matter...

>
>
> And yet again one of the brainwashed drones turns a perfectly innocent
> thread into what he believes is a plug for non-Microsoft operating systems.
> In fact all this evangelicalism has the opposite effect on most people.
> Who'd want to end up as sad and pathetic as these drones who only live for
> pushing their OS of choice? The risk just isn't worth it. There are
> obviously undocumented side-effects of using OSS that turn you into a
> 'pusher'.
>

Some. I run both and I'm quite happy with both. Linux does
things that MS doesn't and MS does things that Linux
doesn't. Horses for courses.

Cheers,

Cliff

--

Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I can't believe the images that wins some photo contests RichA Digital Photography 16 11-28-2010 01:57 AM
WEll you can not believe all that you read Gordon NZ Computing 3 07-29-2010 12:59 AM
Can you believe this video was made with a cheap Sony Handycam? jchild@runbox.com Digital Photography 1 09-08-2007 01:53 PM
Re: You won't believe this website I found <= but you *might* believe this! Bucky Breeder Computer Support 0 05-23-2007 03:54 PM



Advertisments