Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > UBS vs Jetstream?

UBS vs Jetstream?

steve

G'day all....

I'm looking for advice on this one.

Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.

I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a static
IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.

I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.

But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to move
me to bitstream on August 19th.

Did I do the right thing?

How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?

Pacific Dragon

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:40:04 +1200, steve wrote:

> G'day all....
>
> I'm looking for advice on this one.
>
> Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
> choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
> keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.

I'm in the same situation as well. I have been waiting on the sidelines
since September lsat year for UBS to pan out and the situation to resolve
it self. Time is obviously running out for us Orcon Jetstream customers
and USB is still IMHO no where near as good as Jetstream.

I had a visit to Orcon's Forums again tonight and it *seems* Orcon UBS is
in the same state that it pretty much has been for quite some time however
with some improvements for gamers.

I guess it's going to drill down to what you normally do with your
connection. If you only surf, email, and download (not P2P) then Orcon
Bitstream may be adequate. If you do quite a bit of P2P, gaming, VOIP
and/or other latency sensitive applications, best to avoid UBS altogether.

For me, it looks like I will just have to bite the bullet and go over to
Xtra...

EMB

steve wrote:
> G'day all....
>
> I'm looking for advice on this one.
>
> Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
> choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
> keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.
>
> I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a static
> IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.
>
> I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
> have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.
>
> But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to move
> me to bitstream on August 19th.
>
> Did I do the right thing?
>
> How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?

I'm in the same situation with ihug at the moment. They will do static
IP's if you ask REALLY nicely and their UBS appears to be a lot less
promblematic than Orcon's.

--
EMB

~misfit~

EMB wrote:
> steve wrote:
>> G'day all....
>>
>> I'm looking for advice on this one.
>>
>> Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
>> choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
>> keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.
>>
>> I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a
>> static IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.
>>
>> I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
>> have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.
>>
>> But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to
>> move me to bitstream on August 19th.
>>
>> Did I do the right thing?
>>
>> How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?

> I'm in the same situation with ihug at the moment. They will do
> static IP's if you ask REALLY nicely and their UBS appears to be a
> lot less promblematic than Orcon's.

I feel compelled to say that, IME, Orcon's UBS offering has inproved
considerably of late. I have been quick enough to complain so it's only fair
I should say that, other than a couple of short outages, I've had nothing to
complain about in the last month or two. They have just implimented their
third ATM circuit from telecom and seem to have provisioned it quite well.
My download speeds and latency ar far and away better than they were a few
months back. In fact international latency is almost comparable to what I
was getting on Jetstream, maybe ~40ms worse, which is about what Telecom
have introduced into their wholesale package to discourage VoIP.

At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
things will stay rosy.

Damn I hope I haven't jinxed it.

BTW, you get a static IP with Orcon UBS, they just aren't allowed to
advertise it as such due to an agreement with Telecom. Telecom like to
charge more for a static IP and don't want those potential customers using
UBS through third-parties. I've had the same IP for 9 (or so) months now and
Orcon tell me it's not about to change.
--
~misfit~

-=rjh=-

~misfit~ wrote:
> EMB wrote:
>
>>steve wrote:
>>
>>>G'day all....
>>>
>>>I'm looking for advice on this one.
>>>
>>>Last night, Orcon called me up and said I would soon have to make a
>>>choice to either give them up as my ISP (and keep Jetstream Plus) or
>>>keep them as my ISP and move to their Bitstream offering.
>>>
>>>I run my own mail and web server, serving 4 domains, and I have a
>>>static IP address....so Xtra isn't an option for my ISP.
>>>
>>>I'd been avoiding the jetstream / bitstream fork for a while.....as I
>>>have seen here all the grumpiness here in nz.comp about bitstream.
>>>
>>>But......time for the rubber to hit the road.....so I told them to
>>>move me to bitstream on August 19th.
>>>
>>>Did I do the right thing?
>>>
>>>How are people finding bitstream - from whichever ISP?

>>I'm in the same situation with ihug at the moment. They will do
>>static IP's if you ask REALLY nicely and their UBS appears to be a
>>lot less promblematic than Orcon's.

> I feel compelled to say that, IME, Orcon's UBS offering has inproved
> considerably of late. I have been quick enough to complain so it's only fair
> I should say that, other than a couple of short outages, I've had nothing to
> complain about in the last month or two. They have just implimented their
> third ATM circuit from telecom and seem to have provisioned it quite well.
> My download speeds and latency ar far and away better than they were a few
> months back. In fact international latency is almost comparable to what I
> was getting on Jetstream, maybe ~40ms worse, which is about what Telecom
> have introduced into their wholesale package to discourage VoIP.
>
> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
> UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
> things will stay rosy.

It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is in
line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't 100% -
sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much better and they
are consistent.

They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
free webhosting is back up and running, too.

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I feel compelled to say that, IME, Orcon's UBS offering has inproved
>> considerably of late. I have been quick enough to complain so it's
>> only fair I should say that, other than a couple of short outages,
>> I've had nothing to complain about in the last month or two. They
>> have just implimented their third ATM circuit from telecom and seem
>> to have provisioned it quite well. My download speeds and latency ar
>> far and away better than they were a few months back. In fact
>> international latency is almost comparable to what I was getting on
>> Jetstream, maybe ~40ms worse, which is about what Telecom have
>> introduced into their wholesale package to discourage VoIP. At the moment
>> I would have to say that there's not much wrong with
>> Orcon UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething
>> issues and things will stay rosy.
>>

> It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is in
> line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't 100% -
> sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much better and
> they are consistent.

Indeed, However I still feel that they owe me half my money back for the six
months plus that it was really bad. Either that or a "Thanks for
sticking with us through the hard times, you can take Seeby's Ferrari for a
drive for half a day". Of course, the gas tank would have to be full.

> They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
> free webhosting is back up and running, too.

Goodness. And not in the "gracious me" way.

--
~misfit~

steve

~misfit~ wrote:

> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
> UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
> things will stay rosy.

I was hoping people like yourself would say something like that.

I had noticed the complaints here had fallen in number.....and
fingers-crossed it stays that way.

Pacific Dragon

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 08:20:34 +1200, -=rjh=- wrote:

> ~misfit~ wrote:

<snip>

>> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with Orcon
>> UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething issues and
>> things will stay rosy.
>>

> It's not just me, then - Orcon have improved a lot; I guess this is in
> line with how they thought things would pan out. It still isn't 100% -
> sometimes I find I get timeouts, but ping times are much better and they
> are consistent.
>
> They've even got a second smtp server that works properly, and their
> free webhosting is back up and running, too.

It's heartening to actually hear some positive comments regarding Orcon's
UBS for a change.

Do either of you (or anyone on Orcon UBS) do any Audio streaming, Use
bittorent, or download regulary using FTP? If so what have been your
recent experiences with these on Orcon UBS?

Richard

Pacific Dragon wrote:

> It's heartening to actually hear some positive comments regarding Orcon's
> UBS for a change.
>
> Do either of you (or anyone on Orcon UBS) do any Audio streaming, Use
> bittorent, or download regulary using FTP? If so what have been your
> recent experiences with these on Orcon UBS?

torrent speeds are ok, but as a result of there traffic prioritisation carryon,
a single http stream will take the whole connection at the expense of everything
else that you are doing.

Chris Mayhew

steve wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> At the moment I would have to say that there's not much wrong with
>> Orcon UBS. I'm hoping all the earlier problems were just teething
>> issues and things will stay rosy.

> I was hoping people like yourself would say something like that.
>
> I had noticed the complaints here had fallen in number.....and
> fingers-crossed it stays that way.

I would have replied sooner but a LARGE power surge took out a lot of
equipment here .....

They DO seemed to have improved lately, but I seem to have been to busy
to have noticed it, after all it should *just work* anyway, just like
the power if people didn't drive their cars through poles holding up
transformers (apparently they were feeling a little tired and thought
they should pull over - they just forgot to slow down first, lucky for
them they managed to walk away.)

anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
UBS upgrades... Telecom screwing us again? The Other Guy NZ Computing 60 10-11-2004 02:03 AM
UBS back on track EMB NZ Computing 17 08-29-2004 04:24 AM
UBS 1 or 2? Bozo Computer Support 5 08-21-2004 11:48 PM
UBS news. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 13 08-20-2004 03:22 AM

Advertisments