Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Linux Pushers

Reply
Thread Tools

Linux Pushers

 
 
John Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
Whats with all you linux pushes in this group, every thread is turned
into a linux vs windows debate, is linux a religion??, do you guys go
out door knocking trying to convert people over to linux??.

Whats with all the "dimdows" references etc, get a bloody grip on
reality!, if people choose to use "Windows", let them use it, i have no
problem at all with anybody that uses linux, if thats the operating
system that you prefer , then go for it, but to be pushing linux in to
pretty much every thread in nz.comp is just plain aggorant!.

Bling Bling & Lawrence D Oliverio, you two, yes im talking to you, are
the biggest pushers in here, if it were drugs you would be locked up by
now, how about when replying to a thread that doesn't have anything to
do with linux, try and keep it that way, telling the poster that he is
an idiot for using "dimdows" is im sure ****ing a lot more people off
than just me!.

If someone asks a linux question then help that person out, thats what
you guys know about, then that is great, just keep the silly kiddy
school holiday comments to yourself, real easy to do if you are adult
enough.

Thats my piece, im sure you guys will have plenty to say, but all i ask
is that you let windows users use their operating system of choice,
after all it is their choice, not yours!.

John
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
John Williams wrote:

> Whats with all you linux pushes in this group, every thread is turned
> into a linux vs windows debate, is linux a religion??, do you guys go
> out door knocking trying to convert people over to linux??.


Maybe if you used Linux more instead of Windows then you'd
have a better understanding of the situation.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
steve
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
John Williams wrote:
> Whats with all you linux pushes in this group, every thread is turned
> into a linux vs windows debate, is linux a religion??, do you guys go
> out door knocking trying to convert people over to linux??.


There are a lot of linux users in this newsgroup.....so you will hear
more about it here.

> Whats with all the "dimdows" references etc, get a bloody grip on
> reality!, if people choose to use "Windows", let them use it, i have no
> problem at all with anybody that uses linux, if thats the operating
> system that you prefer , then go for it, but to be pushing linux in to
> pretty much every thread in nz.comp is just plain aggorant!.


Well....I know many people don't see Windows users as typically having
made a "choice".

Generally, the people who made a choice built their own systems and then
obtained the OS to run on it. People buying pre-built systems from
major vendors don't actually get a choice.

Not at point of purchase, anyway. That would be 90% of PC users.

> Bling Bling & Lawrence D Oliverio, you two, yes im talking to you, are
> the biggest pushers in here, if it were drugs you would be locked up by
> now, how about when replying to a thread that doesn't have anything to
> do with linux, try and keep it that way, telling the poster that he is
> an idiot for using "dimdows" is im sure ****ing a lot more people off
> than just me!.


....and the we have other posters referring to Linux a "Loonix"......and
no one cries themselves to sleep.

> If someone asks a linux question then help that person out, thats what
> you guys know about, then that is great, just keep the silly kiddy
> school holiday comments to yourself, real easy to do if you are adult
> enough.


Well....there is another situation. When we see a Windows user
struggling with a problem that is essentially a problem for Windows
users....and no one else...then I do often feel it appropriate to let
the poor sod know he doesn't HAVE to carry on suffering.....there IS a
better way (with respect to THAT problem, anyway).

Then if the problem proves to be a big one....the user is better able to
decide as to whether they want a Windows solution to that problem....or
a solution to Windows problems generally.

> Thats my piece, im sure you guys will have plenty to say, but all i ask
> is that you let windows users use their operating system of choice,
> after all it is their choice, not yours!.
>
> John


Agreement (or not) on the presumption of informed choice aside, we
should all be as polite and civil as you have been.

 
Reply With Quote
 
FreedomChooser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:34:13 +1200, steve
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well....I know many people don't see Windows users as typically having
>made a "choice".


"Many" being maybe 1% od the entire population of Nz
In other words not many atall

>Generally, the people who made a choice built their own systems and then
> obtained the OS to run on it. People buying pre-built systems from
>major vendors don't actually get a choice.


Bullshit
plenty of macs availble


 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:48:55 +0000, someone purporting to be
FreedomChooser didst scrawl:

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:34:13 +1200, steve
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Well....I know many people don't see Windows users as typically having
>>made a "choice".

>
> "Many" being maybe 1% od the entire population of Nz
> In other words not many atall
>

Anyone who's given it any thought. And if that's only 1% of the
population, then that's a rather sorry state of affairs. Still, that'd be
40,000 people, so it's a start.

>>Generally, the people who made a choice built their own systems and then
>> obtained the OS to run on it. People buying pre-built systems from
>>major vendors don't actually get a choice.

>
> Bullshit
> plenty of macs availble


Sorry, which part of "People buying pre-built systems from major vendors
don't actually get a choice" passed you by? That applies to Macs, too.
And in any case, people don't usually buy a Mac just for the fact that
it's not Windows.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
H.O.G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:12:20 +1200, Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)>
spoke these fine words:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:48:55 +0000, someone purporting to be
>FreedomChooser didst scrawl:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:34:13 +1200, steve
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Well....I know many people don't see Windows users as typically having
>>>made a "choice".

>>
>> "Many" being maybe 1% od the entire population of Nz
>> In other words not many atall
>>

>Anyone who's given it any thought. And if that's only 1% of the
>population, then that's a rather sorry state of affairs. Still, that'd be
>40,000 people, so it's a start.


Man, the arrogance of you Linux idiots* amazes me every day. I've
given it a lot of thought. I've used both extensively. I choose
Windows for the desktop, along with many millions of other happy PC
users. It is a ****ing tool, for god's sake, not a religious debate. I
use Windows because it lets me do what I want to do quickly and
easily. Sure it cost me a couple of hundred dollars, but who gives a
****? I use it every day! My car cost a heck of a lot more, and so did
my cellphone.

I use Windows because it is better for what I want to do. Full stop.
It is more polished than any version of Linux I've ever tried, and if
something goes wrong (which is a heck of a lot less common than with
Linux), it is generally easy to fix.

I use Linux for some things that I feel it is better suited for (web
servers and firewalls, generally).

I happily run a virus scanner. It cost about $60 a year. Who cares. I
can afford $1 a week.

[* This is not to say that all Linux users are idiots. Not by a long
shot. It's more a case that those that treat their operating system as
a religious debate are.]

>>>Generally, the people who made a choice built their own systems and then
>>> obtained the OS to run on it. People buying pre-built systems from
>>>major vendors don't actually get a choice.

>>
>> Bullshit
>> plenty of macs availble

>
>Sorry, which part of "People buying pre-built systems from major vendors
>don't actually get a choice" passed you by? That applies to Macs, too.
>And in any case, people don't usually buy a Mac just for the fact that
>it's not Windows.


Of course that's why people buy Macs. Wake up.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bling-Bling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:15:16 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

> I use Windows because it
> lets me do what I want to do quickly and easily.


Funny that - but that's one of the reasons why I use KDE on Linux as my
desktop.

Another reason why I use Linux is that by doing so I'm not unnecessarily
giving my money to a convicted monopolist.


Bling Bling

--
Fink: "The Linux market is growing 30% to 35% a year."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bling-Bling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:15:16 +1200, H.O.G wrote:

>>Sorry, which part of "People buying pre-built systems from major vendors
>>don't actually get a choice" passed you by? That applies to Macs, too.
>>And in any case, people don't usually buy a Mac just for the fact that
>>it's not Windows.

>
> Of course that's why people buy Macs. Wake up.


If people buy a Mac then they are buying a bsd-Unix box.


Bling Bling

--
Fink: "The Linux market is growing 30% to 35% a year."

 
Reply With Quote
 
H.O.G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:50:11 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:15:16 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>
>> I use Windows because it
>> lets me do what I want to do quickly and easily.

>
>Funny that - but that's one of the reasons why I use KDE on Linux as my
>desktop.


Good for you, if it works better for you.

>Another reason why I use Linux is that by doing so I'm not unnecessarily
>giving my money to a convicted monopolist.
>

I suspect this has more to do with it than your first reason. Me? I'm
happy to pay for my tools.

I'm guessing you don't have a phone (with monopolistic Telecom,
anyway), don't watch TV (well, at least not TVNZ), definately don't
dialup through Xtra (the biggest virtual monopoly ISP in NZ), Don't
buy Fisher and Paykel appliances or Black and Decker tools, and don't
follow any sport (after all, it's not fair that (a) NZRU, for example,
should have such a monopoly on rugby, and that (b) you actually have
to PAY to go see the game!!).

I guess the big question is, have you purchased a boxed set for your
favourite distro, and do you contribute financially to your favourite
projects? Have you ever contributed a single line of code to Linux in
your life?

If you haven't answered yes to anything in the paragraph above, I
would say it has more to do with it being "free" than "freedom".
Especially combined with your previously stated disdain for anyone who
earns more than a beneficiary (that conversation we had where you also
stated that people should be taxed at 90%, because their money
belonged to the country rather than people individually), and we start
to paint a picture of both you and your motivations very clearly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
H.O.G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 01:51:59 +1200, Bling-Bling
<(E-Mail Removed)> spoke these fine words:

>On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:15:16 +1200, H.O.G wrote:
>
>>>Sorry, which part of "People buying pre-built systems from major vendors
>>>don't actually get a choice" passed you by? That applies to Macs, too.
>>>And in any case, people don't usually buy a Mac just for the fact that
>>>it's not Windows.

>>
>> Of course that's why people buy Macs. Wake up.

>
>If people buy a Mac then they are buying a bsd-Unix box.
>

Point being?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Is Netscape Leaving Firefox Behind on GNU/Linux? THE LINUX PROPAGANDA MACHINE CONTINUES. FIREFOX IGNORING LINUX............. traci.manicotti@gmail.com Computer Support 2 10-20-2007 02:12 PM
Linux... yeah linux.. Linux Have a nice cup of pee NZ Computing 19 04-17-2006 10:16 AM
Importing TB mail from linux in linux Nick de Graeve Firefox 0 10-04-2004 10:49 AM
Linux-Cisco-ADSL-Cisco-Linux Connection hangs.... Adrian de los Santos Cisco 6 07-22-2003 04:44 AM



Advertisments