Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Does anybody have some docs on "kickstart" for Suse?

Reply
Thread Tools

Does anybody have some docs on "kickstart" for Suse?

 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
ie automated builds....

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>ie automated builds....


I think it's called "AutoYaST". Try Googling for that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>ie automated builds....

>
>
> I think it's called "AutoYaST". Try Googling for that.


Yeah, saw that too, not sure if I can autoyast off a non-suse server
(due to licence costs). Ive kickstart mentioned and I know I can
kickstart a rh box off a debian server. Im hoping its very similar to rh
so I can do both off the debian box, hence me asking.

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>ie automated builds....

>>
>> I think it's called "AutoYaST". Try Googling for that.

>
>Yeah, saw that too, not sure if I can autoyast off a non-suse server
>(due to licence costs).


Alternatively, how about doing a manual install on one machine, and
simply using rsync from there to the other machines?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:23:56 +1200, someone purporting to be Lawrence
D'Oliveiro didst scrawl:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

*SNIP*
> Alternatively, how about doing a manual install on one machine, and
> simply using rsync from there to the other machines?


Because to rsync you have to first do an install. A kickstart file is a
custom installer script that controls every aspect of the installation.
I've done quite a bit of work with RH's kickstart system, and have managed
to get a full install down to seven minutes, entirely unattended beyond
putting in the CD and removing it again once the install is completed.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 19:23:56 +1200, someone purporting to be Lawrence
>D'Oliveiro didst scrawl:
>
>> Alternatively, how about doing a manual install on one machine, and
>> simply using rsync from there to the other machines?

>
>Because to rsync you have to first do an install. A kickstart file is a
>custom installer script that controls every aspect of the installation.


I don't see what difference it makes--choosing options in the installer
directly versus setting them up in a script beforehand is going to take
the same amount of time.

>I've done quite a bit of work with RH's kickstart system, and have managed
>to get a full install down to seven minutes, entirely unattended beyond
>putting in the CD and removing it again once the install is completed.


Seven minutes--doesn't sound like you're installing much. My SuSE
installs take more like 20 minutes off DVD, perhaps because they're
quite full-featured desktop installs.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Matthew Poole
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:28:27 +1200, someone purporting to be Lawrence
DčOliveiro didst scrawl:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

*SNIP*
>>Because to rsync you have to first do an install. A kickstart file is a
>>custom installer script that controls every aspect of the installation.

>
> I don't see what difference it makes--choosing options in the installer
> directly versus setting them up in a script beforehand is going to take
> the same amount of time.
>

You only do the script once. Then you burn it onto every new CD you build
and it's all there for you. If you do it in the installer, you have to do
it every time. Did I mention that the kickstart script takes care of
things like disk partitioning, too, including RAID1 in software if you so
desire? That cuts a lot of time out of your install time.

>>I've done quite a bit of work with RH's kickstart system, and have managed
>>to get a full install down to seven minutes, entirely unattended beyond
>>putting in the CD and removing it again once the install is completed.

>
> Seven minutes--doesn't sound like you're installing much. My SuSE
> installs take more like 20 minutes off DVD, perhaps because they're
> quite full-featured desktop installs.


No, it's a base install that then gets installed with apache, MySQL and
the other things required to turn it into a full server, via apt4rpm.
Total install process is under 20 minutes, including a couple of reboots
for things like enabling quotas - all done in the kickstart, as well as
creating a non-executable /tmp directory.
Does that 20 minutes include manual disk partitioning and package
selection? My seven minutes is from the moment the installer starts
loading to the moment it ejects the CD and reboots.

You don't need to be so consistently condescending, y'know. You AREN'T a
god, of any sort.

--
Matthew Poole
"Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

 
Reply With Quote
 
Lawrence DčOliveiro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:28:27 +1200, someone purporting to be Lawrence
>DčOliveiro didst scrawl:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Matthew Poole <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>*SNIP*
>>>Because to rsync you have to first do an install. A kickstart file is a
>>>custom installer script that controls every aspect of the installation.

>>
>> I don't see what difference it makes--choosing options in the installer
>> directly versus setting them up in a script beforehand is going to take
>> the same amount of time.
>>

>You only do the script once. Then you burn it onto every new CD you build
>and it's all there for you. If you do it in the installer, you have to do
>it every time. Did I mention that the kickstart script takes care of
>things like disk partitioning, too, including RAID1 in software if you so
>desire? That cuts a lot of time out of your install time.
>
>>>I've done quite a bit of work with RH's kickstart system, and have managed
>>>to get a full install down to seven minutes, entirely unattended beyond
>>>putting in the CD and removing it again once the install is completed.

>>
>> Seven minutes--doesn't sound like you're installing much. My SuSE
>> installs take more like 20 minutes off DVD, perhaps because they're
>> quite full-featured desktop installs.

>
>No, it's a base install that then gets installed with apache, MySQL and
>the other things required to turn it into a full server, via apt4rpm.
>Total install process is under 20 minutes, including a couple of reboots
>for things like enabling quotas - all done in the kickstart, as well as
>creating a non-executable /tmp directory.
>Does that 20 minutes include manual disk partitioning and package
>selection? My seven minutes is from the moment the installer starts
>loading to the moment it ejects the CD and reboots.
>
>You don't need to be so consistently condescending, y'know. You AREN'T a
>god, of any sort.


Let's see ... the OP had a question about automated SuSE installs. I
tried to be helpful with a couple of suggestions. Then you came in
boasting about how easily you could do a Red Hat install.

Who was the one being condescending, again?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005

> Because to rsync you have to first do an install. A kickstart file is a
> custom installer script that controls every aspect of the installation.
> I've done quite a bit of work with RH's kickstart system, and have managed
> to get a full install down to seven minutes, entirely unattended beyond
> putting in the CD and removing it again once the install is completed.


Does the script have to install off CD?
Isnt it possible to run the script from floppy/network?
Maybe with pxe NIC's?

--
Hardware, n.: The parts of a computer system that can be kicked

The best way to get the right answer on usenet is to post the wrong one.

 
Reply With Quote
 
thingy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2005
Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>>
>>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>> thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>ie automated builds....
>>>
>>>I think it's called "AutoYaST". Try Googling for that.

>>
>>Yeah, saw that too, not sure if I can autoyast off a non-suse server
>>(due to licence costs).

>
>
> Alternatively, how about doing a manual install on one machine, and
> simply using rsync from there to the other machines?


Nope.

I have custom scripting on RH to build each machine to completion. Also
I have ES3, 4, AS3, 4 and the 64 bit verions so that's 8 builds
depending on the OS alone let alone hardware and disk layouts plus
applications. Kickstart works pretty well, I can have a fully built,
hardened and patched machine in under an hour.

From experience with RH KS i know the docs suck, just wondered if
anybody had written their own.

I will start googling this week anyway.

regards

Thing
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Library to parse MS word docs & convert Word docs to PDF KYG C++ 2 08-18-2008 07:08 PM
[newgem] How to generate docs with rake docs ? Stéphane Wirtel Ruby 0 04-19-2007 02:46 PM
Do Printed Word Docs Look Any Differently From PDF Docs? Martin Computer Support 5 09-20-2006 11:06 PM
Why the Perl docs are so great was why the perl docs suck Al Perl Misc 1 10-16-2005 06:35 PM
Does anybody have a some old Turbo C for DOS...!!! Bore Biko C Programming 7 10-03-2005 08:52 AM



Advertisments