Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Adding an IDE hard drive to a pooter with a SATA RAID array.

Adding an IDE hard drive to a pooter with a SATA RAID array.

Philip

I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?

Philip

(woof woof)

PC

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:42e8ce53$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
>configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
>Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much data
>on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on the
>motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room for
>that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?
>
> Philip
>
> (woof woof)

I would expect there to be at least one IDE (PATA) port on the motherboard,
most likely it is connected to your Burner.
IDE can support two drives on the same data cable by setting one to master
the other to slave.
If there is a second unused plug on the IDE cable set your drive to the
opposite of your burner (master ... slave) and plug in.
XP will automatically show it in Windows Explorer.
If there is no second plug change it the data lead for a standard IDE one
with two plugs
If you have two burners you will have to disconnect one.
Or if you have a second IDE port on the motherboard, just plug in the IDE
cable from your old Dell.

Cheers
Paul

thingy

Philip wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
> Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
> data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
> the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
> for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?
>
> Philip
>
> (woof woof)

ext usb case?

regards

Thing

Philip

thingy wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>
>> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
>> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct
>> 1999 Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so
>> much data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free
>> slot on the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There
>> would be room for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing
>> tree?
>>
>> Philip
>>
>> (woof woof)
>>

> ext usb case?

Yeah, that turns out to be the way to go. Dell in their wisdom don't
provide a spare IDE socket on the motherboard - probably saved 14 cents
on the machine by that!

Philip

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
thingy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Philip wrote:
>> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
>> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
>> Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
>> data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
>> the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
>> for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?

>ext usb case?

FireWire is faster.

Rob J

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:18:54 +1200, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
>configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct 1999
>Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so much
>data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free slot on
>the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There would be room
>for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing tree?

Have to be a strange board not to have at least one IDE port.

~misfit~

Rob J wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 00:18:54 +1200, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
>> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct
>> 1999 Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so
>> much data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a
>> free slot on the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card?
>> There would be room for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a
>> losing tree?
>>

> Have to be a strange board not to have at least one IDE port.

Indeed. I've not heard of many SATA optical drives. Maybe just need to
replace the current cable going to the optical drive with one with a second
plug.
--
~misfit~

Rob J

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 09:21:50 +1200, Philip <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>thingy wrote:
>> Philip wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Dell Dimension (Win XP SP2) with two 256GB SATA hard disks
>>> configured as a RAID array. I have an IDE hard drive from a defunct
>>> 1999 Dell that I would like to add to the system because there is so
>>> much data on it. How could I do this? There doesn't seem to be a free
>>> slot on the motherboard. Do I need to buy another PCI card? There
>>> would be room for that. Any recommendations? Am I barking up a losing
>>> tree?
>>>
>>> Philip
>>>
>>> (woof woof)
>>>

>> ext usb case?
>>

>Yeah, that turns out to be the way to go. Dell in their wisdom don't
>provide a spare IDE socket on the motherboard - probably saved 14 cents
>on the machine by that!

What you meant to say is there's only one IDE socket on the board.
That would be true of practically all SATA boards today. One IDE
socket for the CDROM because SATA hard drives are so commonplace
today.

Now, you can connect two drives to that IDE socket - one optical and
one HDD, or two of one or two of the other.